Gene Roddenberry’s inspirations
Was Gene Roddenberry inspired by Tolkien or philosophy or history or humanism? The Vulcan are similar to elves especially their ears and their logic. The Klingons are like the orcs, warlike and vulgar.
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
He always said that his model was from his background in television westerns, and his military service in WWII, and that this was " a wagon train to the stars."  He made no secret about the political analogies with current events of the era, and so while there are no specific parallels, America was in a huge Cold War with two super-powers, Russia and China, and miraculously, the Federation was in a Cold War with the Romulans and Klingons.  And someone will chime in with "the warrior caste mentality of the Klingons aligns them more closely with the Mongols," and "the haircuts and rank title of the Romulans clearly derive from the Romans..." but they also speak English, which derives from Germanic Anglian tribes.  Tongue  

We also need to remember that Roddenberry's ideas, and the practicalities of costuming and make-up, weren't exactly the same thing. He initially called Spock "Vulcanian," and imagined him as an inhabitant of a hot, hellish world, with a Satanic look - arched eyebrows, pointed ears, reddish skin and a tail. Which is basically derived from depictions of satyrs in Greek mythology.
August - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
He was also a big fan of morality plays. At the very least, Star Trek often used morality themes (characters personifying certain moral attributes). Maybe one of the most glaring examples (and one of the worst episodes in my opinion) was the show where Melvin Belli played an evil "angel" who corrupted children.
(August 7th, 2019, 10:07 AM)Michael Wrote: He was also a big fan of morality plays. At the very least, Star Trek often used morality themes (characters personifying certain moral attributes). Maybe one of the most glaring examples (and one of the worst episodes in my opinion) was the show where Melvin Belli played an evil "angel" who corrupted children.

Oh, yeah. If that's not the worst episode of Star Trek from TOS to the end of Enterprise, films included, I don't know what is.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Have you visited Gene Roddenberry Planetarium in El Paso,Texas? badlands 1 263 November 16th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Gene Roddenberry life and times badlands 0 291 August 1st, 2015, 01:52 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Did Gene Roddenberry Contradict Himself? Boomstick 14 1,857 September 6th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Space Marshal
  Captain Kirk meets Gene Simmons! august 41 2,607 August 15th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Last Post: august
  Gene Roddenberry's Son Has Concerns About Star Trek Prequel Michael 0 724 September 15th, 2007, 03:43 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Did Star Trek Die With Gene Roddenberry? galacticimports 11 850 February 20th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Orange1967