Can you identify this anthology?
Can you identify this anthology?

There is a bit of a challenge in identifying a mystery anthology and book. Help is needed to identify an anthology I once had, before someone else borrowed and did not return the book. I would like to locate and buy a replacement copy of this book.

I never knew the title or editor of this anthology book, because the library, which sold the book to me as ex libris in about 1966-1967, had taken the thick paperback book and rebound it as a hardback book. When rebinding the book, they removed the covers, title page, copyright page, and other fore matter pages which would have identified the book. Besides being a paperback science fiction anthology, there are only a few other ways of identifying this anthology.

One of the short stories included in the anthology, as best that I can remember it now, is a tale about an alien life form on some distant  planet which became sentient and eventually wiped out all competing life as a thin organic film covering the entire surface of the planet. It studied the heavens above and wondered what existed there and if there could be anyone else to communicate with among those distant stars. Then one day a spacecraft descended from the heavens on a tail of flame. The life form discovered that it could hear the thoughts of the creatures inside the spacecraft. He tried to communicate with those creatures, but his efforts to communicate with them did not go well....

This anthology included an extraordinary number of stories, which resulted in a much thicker anthology than usual. The anthology must have been published as a paperback sometime before 1966-1967. I've checked the usual Judith Merrill, Wollheim, etc. anthologies without any success so far.   Can anyone recognize the above short story that appeared in this anthology, and can anyone identify the editor and title of this anthology?
For what it's worth, this is not ringing any bells for me. I read quite a few anthologies in the 1970s, including a fair few I checked out from a public library. I'm sure I would have remembered that story, too.

Hope you find what you're looking for.
I'm tempted to say Dangerous Visions, which came out in hardback in 1967 and was very thick, but I don't recall that story...
August - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
(August 7th, 2019, 10:05 AM)Michael Wrote: For what it's worth, this is not ringing any bells for me. I read quite a few anthologies in the 1970s, including a fair few I checked out from a public library. I'm sure I would have remembered that story, too.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Thank you for your response. I held back the ending of the story so it would not be a spoiler for anyone who reads it. The anthology was quite unusual due to the large number of authors and stories in it. I've been trying to recognize the story titles in the Galaxy Readers, but they don't look familiar as far as I can tell after 52 years. The number of stories looks very similar to what you find in Galaxy Reader of Science Fiction, H. L. Gold, ed., 1952. Can you suggest any other similar editors and anthology series published before 1966 with something like 20 to 30 stories included in the book?
Gardner Dozois(sp.?) edited a lot of anthologies of Hugo winners and so forth in that era. Possibly that's a big compendium of maybe a decade of award winners...
August - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
(August 8th, 2019, 07:12 PM)august Wrote: Gardner Dozois(sp.?) edited a lot of anthologies of Hugo winners and so forth in that era. Possibly that's a big compendium of maybe a decade of award winners...

It looks like Dozois started his substantial body of works with a short fiction story in 1966 and he edited anthologies beginning with A Day in the Life (1972). Still, I have to wonder if the story I remember or one of the other stories in the book made it into another anthology in the later years. I used to think perhaps Let's Be Frank by Brian Aldiss could have been in the same anthology, but my searches seem to indicate I saw that story in my copy of SF: Best of the Best, Judith Merril, ed. Delacorte Press, 1967. That's a classic story too. I'm still trying to find something that will kickstart the old memories enough to recall one or more of the stories that were also in that anthology. The search has already been quite rewarding. I've once more been reading A Bertram Chandler's yarns about Commodore Grimes, Sonya, and the Psionics Officer Mayhew in the Rim Worlds Navy. Last time I read that story was in Galaxy, September and October 1966.
Exactly - it could have been a story from the 50's, but it and others were in an anthology that was published years later. Sounds like a fun search!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boom! Studios press release for Cthulhu Tales: Tainted anthology Michael 0 893 September 15th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Help, please identify this story fenn 5 818 January 12th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Laudanum
  Please help identify this 1970's book Foxster 5 519 June 14th, 2003, 02:00 AM
Last Post: TwoXForr
  identify this story???? help! ebert5150 4 563 June 3rd, 2003, 10:53 PM
Last Post: ebert5150