Goblins and Jews
http://www.mugglenet.com/2019/03/rowling...n-problem/

Is there much to this?
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
I kind of get it. I'm sure Rowling intended no offense - it reminds me of how the Ferengi on Trek were seen as either Jewish or Arabic stereotypes, when the producers swore they were based on wheeling-dealing Yankee traders, and how Lucas was accused of bias towards blacks with Jar-Jar's character, when he was really just a sort of iconic goofball servant/sidekick.

In all three cases, I think the creators wanted to portray some negative personality traits in fantasy characters, just like dwarf-elf rivaly or orc and troll brutishness in LotR, or giants being really dumb in Narnia. So they went out of their way for them not to resemble any actual human races or nationalities... but in doing so, while keeping the traits, the viewers or readers may still recall the stereotypes that once existed, and make the connection anyway. At the time, for example, I observed that Jar-Jar was an insulting stereotype...of a Gungan, since his own people thought he was a fool too.

Hopefully we'll get to a point where no one remembers what might make these insulting. Just the other day, I ran into a friend who is from India originally, and somewhere along the way, he said something about "oh, so this makes me the cheap Indian, huh?" and I had to ask "Is that a thing?" Apparently it is, but I'd never heard that. Then I told him that back in our parents' day, the "cheap" stereotype was Scotsmen - they recently recycled an old cheap Scotsman joke in Game of Thrones as a Northman/Stark joke - and he was too young to have ever even heard of that one.
August - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
I've read the books and seen the movies.  

To me   Goblins are goblins.  

I didn't see any stereotypical or derogatory relationship with the religious group of "Jews" in the Harry Potter stories. I saw that the people looked down on by wizards were the non-magical. Where I did see anti-Semitism was in the giant bee creature (Anikan Skywalker's owner) in STAR WARS One.    I also had to stop reading the early fantasy from the UK  THE FIVE CHILDREN AND IT by E. Nesbit, and the other books in that series, of course these were books of their age.
Irene
Perfect example - I think my parents read those books
to me when I was 5, and then I read them on my own a few years later. And not knowing about stereotypes, I must have missed whatever negativity was there.
August - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
I never saw a Jewish stereotype in Rowling's goblins, either in the books or in the movies. They struck me as yet another transparent example of a "classic oppressed people".

On the adult level of the stories, Rowling condemns elitism in all its hateful forms. I think her public stance against anti-Semitism is completely in keeping with how she portrayed non-human races in the books. They all resented being treated badly by the human wizarding community. It was always my impression that Voldemort used that resentment to recruit the giants into his service. I think either Hagrid or Dumbledore may have said as much in the books.