Did Tolkien get some of inspiration for his stories from Japanese myths/ fairytales
There are giant goblin rats and spiders and winged monsters that attack people on the road in Japanese myths and fairytales. Did Tolkien get some inspiration from them?
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
Big Grin 
I think giant rats, spiders, boggles, baddies. and long legged winged beasties are pretty universal.
August - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
I don't remember many giant rats and spiders in European mythology, but it's fair to ask where Tolkien looked for inspiration.

He cited ancient Greek and Egyptian influences. He also heavily invoked Biblical ideas (God, angels, Satan, etc.).

Scholars have shown he used Slavic sources, and Celtic source. The idea that Tolkien was all about extending or rewriting Anglo-Saxon ideas has been proven false. He was heavily biased toward Anglo-Saxon ideas but incorporated ideas from across the world.

I read a paper some years back that suggested Tolkien may have drawn on Vedic sources for some obscure things.

So I would be reluctant to rule out Japanese mythology as a potential source. It's worth looking into although at this late stage I don't think we'd ever find anything other than parallels.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christopher Tolkien passed away this morning Michael 3 845 January 25th, 2020, 12:31 PM
Last Post: Mordomin
  New Introduction to Mordomin stories Mordomin 1 296 October 12th, 2019, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Mordomin
  Tolkien the movie badlands 4 467 July 13th, 2019, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Michael
  The Tolkien Family Distances Itself from the "Tolkien" Biopic Michael 4 469 May 11th, 2019, 06:59 PM
Last Post: GamgeeFest
  J.R.R. Tolkien vs Hilaire Belloc Michael 4 527 April 22nd, 2019, 01:24 PM
Last Post: august
  Legion M is organizing fan events for "Tolkien" the Movie Michael 0 312 April 21st, 2019, 09:41 PM
  Marquette University Interviewing Tolkien Fans for Archive Michael 0 410 March 25th, 2019, 10:29 AM
  Nicholas Hoult will star in J.R.R. Tolkien Biopic Michael 4 755 February 4th, 2019, 02:51 PM
Last Post: august
  Tolkiens life in South Africa badlands 1 229 January 28th, 2019, 08:02 PM
  Newsweek special about Tolkien badlands 1 239 August 22nd, 2018, 04:34 PM