NEW FORUM ISSUES (post here) MAY 27, 2019
So it looks like the active user count is not being updated in real-time. We'll have to take a look at that. I was able to log in successfully so that's a good thing.

Whelp ... looks like the URL codes in signatures are not working either.

If you type in multiple posts within a minute or two of each other they will be appended to the first in the sequence and separated by a horizontal rule (line).
It seems impossible to reach threads more than a year old.
Tolkien forum shows threads of last year, on 2 pages. It is possible to choose to show threads from the beginning, which reveals the links to many pages - but these links then do not work as promised, because clicking on link to page 3 returns to page 1 instead, and again shows just 2 pages.
An interesting problem. Being curious I tried reaching back for an old thread...namely one of the old Halloween Party threads from 2003. No problem, able to access all 5 pages.
Fun time on these forums.
Sitting quietly, doing nothing,
Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.
I've been tweaking the forums all year long, when my health has permitted it.

There are still things that need doing and I haven't the time to do them. I'll have to find time this month.
(November 20th, 2019, 01:00 PM)Jaak Wrote: It seems impossible to reach threads more than a year old.
Tolkien forum shows threads of last year, on 2 pages. It is possible to choose to show threads from the beginning, which reveals the links to many pages - but these links then do not work as promised, because clicking on link to page 3 returns to page 1 instead, and again shows just 2 pages.

This issue is so far unchanged - still canno reach past a year.
Sorry for letting that fall through the cracks.

This appears to be the designed behavior. The pagination links like [1] [2] [3] always point to the same URLs. They are not re-ordered if you sort the threads by another sequence.

To get to the older discussions, I've found that I can change FROM button to "From the Beginning" and then sort by DESCENDING.

Unfortunately, you then must scroll through many ghost threads that once existed but which - for reasons unexplained - no longer exist, except as links in the index. But I can get to the older threads.

This is NOT the way I would like it to work. However, my health has been iffy all year long and I haven't had the time and energy I need to make such improvements as I would like to.

I'll see if I can purge the ghost threads tonight.
Just to follow up, I have tried rebuilding some of the forum indices but what needs to be done is a purge of empty threads. Haven't figured out how to do that just yet.

Still looking into it.
(November 14th, 2020, 05:35 PM)Michael Wrote: Sorry for letting that fall through the cracks.

This appears to be the designed behavior. The pagination links like [1] [2] [3] always point to the same URLs. They are not re-ordered if you sort the threads by another sequence.

To get to the older discussions, I've found that I can change FROM button to "From the Beginning" and then sort by DESCENDING.

Unfortunately, you then must scroll through many ghost threads that once existed but which - for reasons unexplained - no longer exist, except as links in the index. But I can get to the older threads.

I cannot. I can change the From button to "From the beginning", and it creates the extra pagination links - but the extra links do not actually work, because following them immediately reverts to the one year view.
I'll have to see if there is something about this in the MyBB support forums.

We do need to upgrade to the latest version of the software but I haven't been able to book time for that. We've got 2 forums falling behind the update schedule.

I'm not abandoning this problem. I just have a lot of projects for work that I fell behind on from being ill so much this year.
Still working on the connectivity for the older discussions. I have downloaded a list of old VBulletin URLs that weren't redirected to this forum. I'll be working on implementing the redirects in the next few weeks.

In doing so, I've been editing old posts that say "Click here". Basically, that happens when MyBB imports posts with special characters (hyphens, single quotes, apostrophers, em-dashes, etc.) that aren't properly converted. If you can edit the message you can fix these problems by replacing the characters.

I have been able to navigate through multiple pages in forums and discussions, but I'm using the Search tool in the menu to do that. No problems, yet.

https://forums.sf-fandom.com/search.php

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Much Do You Care about the "Last Post" Column in the forums? Michael 2 685 April 23rd, 2019, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Michael
  March 2019 Status Update on Future Forum Move Michael 0 529 March 24th, 2019, 06:56 PM
  Edit existing post function fail? Alvin Eriol 3 943 March 23rd, 2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Alvin Eriol
  What's with the formatting issues on the forum? Boomstick 8 1,331 August 7th, 2017, 10:38 AM
  Can we post science fiction and fantasy artworks? badlands 1 706 May 16th, 2017, 11:37 AM
  Disney channel or vacation forum badlands 0 573 May 9th, 2017, 07:37 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Shouldn't we have a horror forum? badlands 1 775 December 15th, 2014, 05:16 PM
  Forum Design Set to Default Template BoardAdmin 0 911 October 28th, 2014, 11:30 PM
Last Post: BoardAdmin
  Server Performance Issues Michael 0 634 September 25th, 2014, 01:37 AM
  Forum Design Plans and Intentions Michael 0 602 August 28th, 2014, 02:40 PM