The Tolkien Family Distances Itself from the "Tolkien" Biopic
I had already heard some distant rumblings from traditional corners of Tolkien purism and scholarship but I was under the impression that many people were looking forward to seeing this movie. Earlier today the Tolkien Estate and family released this press release:

Quote:NEW YORK and LONDON, April 23, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The family of JRR Tolkien and the Tolkien Estate are aware of the Fox Searchlight motion picture entitled "Tolkien" that is due for release in May 2019.The family and the Estate wish to make clear that they did not approve of, authorize or participate in the making of this film.
They do not endorse it or its content in any way.
Note for editors:
The Estate of JRR Tolkien comprises a company which manages its publishing interests and a charitable trust which makes grants to a wide range of causes, including those focused on alleviating poverty and social, educational and healthcare disadvantage, and on environmental concerns and the arts.
Contact: Lonnie Soury, Soury Communications, Lsoury@soury.com, (212) 414-5857 (office), (917) 519-4521(mobile)
Matthew Moth, Madano Co., Matthew.Moth@Madano.com, +44 (0) 20 7593 4023 (office), +44 (0) 7770 381 263 (mobile)
SOURCE Family and Estate of JRR Tolkien

So, needless to say, a number of people have drawn back from supporting the film. The Guardian solicited a statement from John Garth, whose book "Tolkien and the Great War" is widely praised. I was able to interview John in 2012 for Xenite's "Interviews with the Scholars" series. He is probably the most well-informed expert on Tolkien's early life (alive today).

I wasn't expecting the movie to be faithful to a handful of known facts. It's a dramatization and biopics are notoriously inaccurate. "A Beautiful Mind" is widely praised for being a great movie but it's highly inaccurate about the late John Nash's life and struggle with mental illness.
I'm sorry to see the Tolkiens troubled by the film but I hope fans who were planning to see it enjoy it. I've heard some mixed reviews from early viewings. Some people loved it and some people hated it.
I won't be seeing it any time soon for reasons entirely unrelated to this situation.
They ruin people’s reputations that way if they make movies like that.
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
I wonder if the "company which manages its publishing interests" might have been more positive if they had been cut in for a share of the profits...Huh
August - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
I don't know. As more Tolkien experts see the movie their reviews are less speculative and more accepting. While acknowledging historical inaccuracies in the biographical parts of the story, they do say it's a very watchable movie.
I just got back from watching it. There were some liberties taken, there always are, but I didn't see anything overtly objectionable. I really enjoyed the film.
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christopher Tolkien passed away this morning Michael 3 845 January 25th, 2020, 12:31 PM
Last Post: Mordomin
  Did Tolkien get some of inspiration for his stories from Japanese myths/ fairytales badlands 2 378 July 13th, 2019, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Tolkien the movie badlands 4 465 July 13th, 2019, 11:28 AM
  J.R.R. Tolkien vs Hilaire Belloc Michael 4 527 April 22nd, 2019, 01:24 PM
Last Post: august
  Legion M is organizing fan events for "Tolkien" the Movie Michael 0 311 April 21st, 2019, 09:41 PM
  Marquette University Interviewing Tolkien Fans for Archive Michael 0 410 March 25th, 2019, 10:29 AM
  Nicholas Hoult will star in J.R.R. Tolkien Biopic Michael 4 755 February 4th, 2019, 02:51 PM
Last Post: august
  Tolkien’s life in South Africa badlands 1 229 January 28th, 2019, 08:02 PM
  Newsweek special about Tolkien badlands 1 239 August 22nd, 2018, 04:34 PM
  Review of traveling Tolkien exhibit Bacchus 0 213 August 18th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Bacchus