Legion M is organizing fan events for "Tolkien" the Movie
If you have never heard of Legion M, they are a fan-owned company that invests in movies (and possibly other entertainment projects). They form or join partnerships with production studios. You'll see their emblem, "Legion M", at the beginning of the movies they co-fund (or they are mentioned in the credits - I'm not sure how all these deals work).

How do you become an investor? Well, you have to hear about their funding rounds and buy a piece of the action while the round is open. I guess I can share details about the next one I hear about.

Meanwhile, Legion M owns a piece of "Tolkien" the semi-biographical movie about the author that opens on May 10 across the United States.

A little over a week ago they put out a call for fans across the country to propose meetups (through their own system, not Meetup-dot-Org) at opening night events (cinemas or close by). So far dozens of meetups have been approved.

You can read about them here and join one or propose another for your area.

[URL="https://legionm.com/tolkien-meetups"]https://legionm.com/tolkien-meetups
[/URL]
The map defaults to the Hollywood area but just type in your city name and see what shows up.

This is the first movie to come out of Fox Searchlight's production studio, so it's a big deal for them. Legion M has promised to get some swag for fans.

Watch Trailer 1 for "Tolkien" from YouTube
SF-Fandom not responsible for video content

SF-Fandom reserves the right to remove inappropriate video content from its discussions. YouTube may remove the video from its service without notification.

Watch Trailer 2 for "Tolkien" from YouTube
SF-Fandom not responsible for video content

SF-Fandom reserves the right to remove inappropriate video content from its discussions. YouTube may remove the video from its service without notification.

The movie stars Nicholas Hoult as J.R.R. Tolkien and Lily Collins stars as Edith Bratt (who became Edith Tolkien). Dome Karukoski is the director. David Gleeson and Stephen Beresford are the writers. Colm Meaney (Chief O'Brien on "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine", and Commander Cowen on "Stargate: Atlantis") plays Father Francis Morgan, who raised J.R.R. Tolkien and his brother Hillary after their mother died. Morgan and the Roman Catholic Church had a profound influence on Tolkien's life and works. I don't know how the movie will portray him but he did not approve of Tolkien's relationship with Edith, who was 3 years older than him and also an orphan. She very nearly married someone else.

[Image: nicholas-hoult-tolkien.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christopher Tolkien passed away this morning Michael 3 845 January 25th, 2020, 12:31 PM
Last Post: Mordomin
  Did Tolkien get some of inspiration for his stories from Japanese myths/ fairytales badlands 2 379 July 13th, 2019, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Tolkien the movie badlands 4 467 July 13th, 2019, 11:28 AM
  The Tolkien Family Distances Itself from the "Tolkien" Biopic Michael 4 469 May 11th, 2019, 06:59 PM
Last Post: GamgeeFest
  J.R.R. Tolkien vs Hilaire Belloc Michael 4 527 April 22nd, 2019, 01:24 PM
Last Post: august
  Marquette University Interviewing Tolkien Fans for Archive Michael 0 410 March 25th, 2019, 10:29 AM
  Nicholas Hoult will star in J.R.R. Tolkien Biopic Michael 4 755 February 4th, 2019, 02:51 PM
Last Post: august
  Tolkien’s life in South Africa badlands 1 229 January 28th, 2019, 08:02 PM
  New Peter Jackson movie: Mortal Engines badlands 4 331 August 25th, 2018, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Newsweek special about Tolkien badlands 1 239 August 22nd, 2018, 04:34 PM