Seakeep and Falcon Hope
Michael Wrote:The three weeks could just be a bad estimate of probable travel time. I don't remember that Andre had any sort of precise maps made.

Unfortunately the book is actually pretty explicit about it taking just about three weeks, even rushing. The terrain is simply too difficult to traverse much faster. That lends itself to all sorts of issues since folks are riding part of it - but even then it's slow. A person could walk between 3-4 miles (4.8 to 6.4 km) an hour and so 24-32 miles (38.6 to 51.5 km) a day and so 168-224 miles (270 to 360.5 km) a week and so cover 504-672 miles (810 to 1,081.5 km) in three weeks! And this is an average walk - not a forced march.

I mean, it's a very exciting read - will Rufon be able to reach the Falconer camp in Linna in time? Will the falconer host get to Seakeep in time? etc. But I have trouble making this make sense on a map.
I don't have the story with me to check but mountain trails are notoriously long and curvy in many parts of the world. It could be she was imagining a long trip winding back and forth around some mountains.
Michael Wrote:I don't have the story with me to check but mountain trails are notoriously long and curvy in many parts of the world. It could be she was imagining a long trip winding back and forth around some mountains.

You're probably right - one of the trails they climbed was so near vertical that if it had been any steeper it would have been a cliff that their horses couldn't have navigated. That doesn't make it any easier to map out, though, since there's no indication of how long it might take by sea or how the overland would look if it were strait and not some 224+ leagues of travel through winding, treacherous terrain (though that also pretty handily explains lack of Dales).

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Find of the Year - I Hope - Maybe Lots-A-Watts 11 2,254 September 26th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Paul Goode