A new version of DUNE is apparantly in the works.
Look for the news here:
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/everythin...00444.html
Sitting quietly, doing nothing,
Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.
Yes, Denis Villeneuve (Sicaro, The Arrival, Blade Runner 2049) is currently directing it. We'll see if he can get it done. Unfortunately, I saw today that Jason Momoa is in talks to be in the film. I just don't get the appeal with that guy. I guess, I'm the only one, though.
I don't see the appeal of Denis Villeneuve. However, much as I like Jason Momoa, if he appears in the movie I hope it's not as Paul Atreides. He's much too old for the role. Kyle MacLachlan was really too old to play Paul in the first "Dune" movie. He was a teenager in the book, and only grew to young adulthood by the time the story ended.
Michael Wrote:I don't see the appeal of Denis Villeneuve. However, much as I like Jason Momoa, if he appears in the movie I hope it's not as Paul Atreides. He's much too old for the role. Kyle MacLachlan was really too old to play Paul in the first "Dune" movie. He was a teenager in the book, and only grew to young adulthood by the time the story ended.

I can't really say, as I've only seen Blade Runner 2049. The Arrival was critically acclaimed, but I've heard from some folks that it's quite dull.
I watched "Arrival" (different movie from "The Arrival", which was directed by David Twohy). "Arrival" stars Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner. It is a somewhat slow-moving character-driven science fiction movie. I wouldn't call it boring but it's definitely not a shoot 'em up spectacular like, say, "Independence Day".

On the one hand, I can see why people might want Villaneuve attached to a project like a "Dune" remake. It's a huge, ponderous story. But it's also an action-oriented story, filled with intrigue and counter-plots. Everyone has an agenda and it's a really hard story to adapt to film.

I have not watched anything else from Denis Villaneuve so while my opinion of him as a director or story-teller is based on limited experience, I don't have a bad opinion of him. I just don't think his vision of "Dune" will match what I would like to see in an adaptation.
Michael Wrote:I watched "Arrival" (different movie from "The Arrival", which was directed by David Twohy). "Arrival" stars Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner. It is a somewhat slow-moving character-driven science fiction movie. I wouldn't call it boring but it's definitely not a shoot 'em up spectacular like, say, "Independence Day".

On the one hand, I can see why people might want Villaneuve attached to a project like a "Dune" remake. It's a huge, ponderous story. But it's also an action-oriented story, filled with intrigue and counter-plots. Everyone has an agenda and it's a really hard story to adapt to film.

I have not watched anything else from Denis Villaneuve so while my opinion of him as a director or story-teller is based on limited experience, I don't have a bad opinion of him. I just don't think his vision of "Dune" will match what I would like to see in an adaptation.

Did you see the made-for-tv ones that were on Sci-Fi? At the time I thought they were well received. I've since seen comments that indicated the opposite, but the internet hates everything... :bg:
When I looked at Villaneuve's IMDB page I didn't recognize any titles from my viewing experience, except for "The Arrival".
Ah, I think Boomstick means did you see the made-for-Syfy tv movie versions of the Dune books from the early 200's? I did not. I notice that a young James McAvoy was in one, and that the other was directed by Greg Yaitanes, who directed the pilot episode of Cleopatra 2525, along with many eps of Lost, Prison Break, Heroes, etc.
August - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
I never watched the SyFy versions of "Dune". Not sure why. Maybe it was just bad timing.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video: Trailer for Denis Villeneuve's "Dune" Michael 6 833 November 8th, 2020, 11:02 PM
Last Post: namesarehard
  a Dragon's lair and Space ace movie in the works. badlands 3 354 March 23rd, 2018, 12:44 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Female version of Lord of the Flies badlands 2 421 September 16th, 2017, 10:16 AM
Last Post: august
  Which classic novels do you think need a modern film version? badlands 5 369 December 27th, 2016, 04:46 PM
  Shrek 5 in the works? badlands 1 325 October 29th, 2016, 04:07 PM
Last Post: august
  Should Animes have live action version adaptions like Fairy tales cartoons? badlands 3 267 March 10th, 2015, 01:44 PM
  "Underworld 4" movie in the works Michael 4 661 July 5th, 2010, 01:38 AM
  Alien Prequel in the Works at Fox Boomstick 19 1,182 April 27th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Last Post: EDSEL_PK
  Captain Blood film in the works Boomstick 14 877 April 21st, 2010, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Zagor
  Too many remakes not enough original works badlands 1 512 December 16th, 2009, 04:34 AM