Stephen King books
Why aren't they considered academic standards or academic reading by college professors?
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
Simple prejudice against "popular"/"genre"/"trashy" fiction? Such was the case back in my school days.
Sitting quietly, doing nothing,
Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.
Yep, but whole academic dissertations have been written on King's work, and there are plenty of courses offered at colleges that focus on or include his work. Including ones taught at colleges by him! :laugh:
I know for a fact that students were using his works as topics for successful college entrance applications and national academic awards as early as the mid-70's, when only his first three novels were in print.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
And indeed, here's one that happened to turn up first in a simple Google search - it's a grad level class at UNC Wilmington:

https://uncw.edu/gls/stephenkinggls592.html
...And now many former sf & fantasy authors are now respected academics. Chip Delany, for one, comes to mind.
Sitting quietly, doing nothing,
Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.
Agaricus Wrote:Simple prejudice against "popular"/"genre"/"trashy" fiction? Such was the case back in my school days.

During my time (early 2000s), at least a few professors in the English department made no secret of being huge Harry Potter fans. So the bar has been lowered considerably for a
while now. Move over, William Faulkner! :bg:
I should think there are modern literature courses that probably include at least one of Stephen King's stories. Not many, I am sure. But there are so many "classics" that it takes a long time for a book to break into academic reading lists. The lit classes I took in college focused on the evolution of genres and writing styles, so they tended to focus on the "pioneers".
Ah but see above, quoted below:

august Wrote:Yep, but whole academic dissertations have been written on King's work, and there are plenty of courses offered at colleges that focus on or include his work. Including ones taught at colleges by him! :laugh:
I know for a fact that students were using his works as topics for successful college entrance applications and national academic awards as early as the mid-70's, when only his first three novels were in print.
And indeed, here's one that happened to turn up first in a simple Google search - it's a grad level class at UNC Wilmington:

https://uncw.edu/gls/stephenkinggls592.html

Some others that turn up first in another google search include Vermont Tech, this class on the filmed version of his books at the University of Vermont, this teacher's college lit class, and the high school
classes of this English teacher. There's even an endowed chair in Stephen King studies at the University of Maine, so there are many many many courses on his work. That doesn't necessarily get reported on fan websites, but they're there in catalogues of courses. Smile
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Well, that is what I get for scanning the discussion. Sorry.
Even Stephen King says his horror novels are like the McDonalds of fiction. However, his non-horror (light supernatural) novels are seriously good by any standard. Those ones I think can be used in academia.
If they're not they will be. Not only are they great stories but his classic books great americana, I think on the order of Mark Twain.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Star gating books, movies, and authors Michael 3 166 May 17th, 2022, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Books about The Apocalypse badlands 1 176 February 23rd, 2022, 10:09 PM
  What fantasy books or science fiction book do you want to see on film? badlands 11 1,427 December 26th, 2020, 09:36 PM
Last Post: Morthoron
  Any good horror books you read lately badlands 0 619 August 13th, 2020, 12:54 AM
Last Post: badlands
  Your favorite Halloween Fantasy and Science Fiction books that badlands 0 974 August 22nd, 2019, 03:31 PM
  Two Invisible man books? badlands 6 765 March 6th, 2019, 03:04 PM
  TIPS For Authors Who Want to Promote Their Books in Forums BookBug 2 1,854 August 7th, 2017, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Jim Cronin
  Should these fantasy books or series be made into movie or T.V series? badlands 9 1,400 May 22nd, 2016, 02:13 AM
  George Orwell books badlands 7 1,712 February 5th, 2016, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Audio books on youtube badlands 0 814 November 26th, 2015, 01:52 AM