SF Fandom and GDPR
Reflective Dynamics, Inc. (the company formed by Michael Martinez and Randy Ray) must publish updated privacy guidelines for all its Websites by May 25 to comply with Europe's GDPR law. GDPR is intended to protect user privacy on the Internet.

We will be sending out an administrative email to all SF Fandom members later this month. Our statement will also be posted here in this discussion AND we'll publish a 1-year announcement in the forums.

We don't expect to change anything in our forum requirements as we don't analyze the user data that is collected as a part of normal operations.
So here is a quick update on where we stand with GDPR. It's too confusing. There is no practical way to comply with the regulation's requirements if you're running an older version of VBulletin. I'm not even sure a current version of Vbulletin could be made compliant.

For the time being my partner Randy Ray and I have decided to defer attempting to fully comply with GDPR in the Web forums.

The thing is, if anyone requests their "private data", we don't have any way to download it for them. I believe when you delete a user account you can delete all their posts so we could comply with that part of the law.

We do not collect data for the purpose of tracking and analyzing user behavior. We don't "process" anything. But if you have an account here at SF-Fandom we have your email address and at least one IP address.

The advertising networks we use (mostly Google AdSense here on SF-Fandom) do create cookies, just as you create a cookie when you log in here. We don't do anything with cookie data. The ad networks are required to give you an opt-out option for tracking your behavior.

So far as I can determine, if you create an account on a Web forum you HAVE opted in to giving that forum your private information.

And the data must be stored for as long as you have an account with any Website. There is no other way to do that.

Our server log files are purged on a regular basis and the data is quickly aggregated into reports that hide your individual activity.

We'll probably write a short statement summarizing these points and post it as a permanent announcement in our forums. I don't see what else we can do.
Sounds like a giant headache, best of luck dealing with it! What's the worst that could happen if you don't "comply," though? They block access to the site to users from Europe?
The worst that could happen is they levy a fine against us and collect through the U.S. courts. We would have to fight it and we might not win. But so many companies are in non-compliance at the moment that the forest will protect the trees for a while.
Michael Wrote:The worst that could happen is they levy a fine against us and collect through the U.S. courts. We would have to fight it and we might not win. But so many companies are in non-compliance at the moment that the forest will protect the trees for a while.

On the surface, it sounds like a good idea. However, given that it's the EU, it's probably just a scam to control information and randomly extract money from foreign entities when
they want a little infusion of cash.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SF-FANDOM ADVERTISING OPTIONS CHANGING 2021 Michael 2 459 April 30th, 2021, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Michael
  SF FANDOM FORUMS MOVING THIS WEEKEND (May 26-27) BoardAdmin 0 460 May 23rd, 2019, 08:30 PM
Last Post: BoardAdmin
  Why SF Fandom Sends Out Holiday Greeting Messages BoardAdmin 1 1,107 March 24th, 2019, 06:57 PM
  Embedded Images on SF-Fandom BoardAdmin 0 489 May 9th, 2018, 01:55 PM
  How to Embed Videos in Your SF Fandom Posts FilmGuy 0 787 November 17th, 2017, 08:51 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  MARCH 14, 2014 Security Update Patched to SF-Fandom Forums BoardAdmin 1 937 March 15th, 2014, 08:21 PM
  SF-Fandom Online Magazine Search bug Dovid 2 802 December 17th, 2012, 08:13 PM
  For users unable to log in to sf-fandom BoardAdmin 1 1,654 February 20th, 2012, 12:42 PM
  Welcome to the reorganized SF-Fandom Forums BoardAdmin 0 606 September 12th, 2011, 01:19 AM
  Proposed Changes to SF-Fandom Forum Offerings Michael 2 783 August 18th, 2011, 11:21 AM