What are these?
Hello Kind Folks,

Are these some fraudulent Excrement or what?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-ANDRE-NORTON-...0005.m1851

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-ANDRE-NORTON-...0005.m1851

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-ANDRE-NORTON-...0005.m1851

What is your opinion?
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Andre Norton's website - andre-norton.com
Well, it is possible to have paperback books rebound. I would guess someone took these books to a book binder (or maybe they work in such a shop) and had generic covers put on them. I don't know if that is illegal but I suspect not.
In my humble opinion... These are three/four of the paper back editions simply bound together.

This would not be an edition: and should have been referred to as a collection of three books "bound together"

The easiest way to be sure is to ask the seller for an image of "The" copy right page.
In any standard bound edition, that would be a single page, and the covers would not have been bound in.

If you are considering purchasing this bound copy, please ask for a photo of the inside of the spine. It is hard to see on the web site, but the included copies, may just be glued to the cloth spine.
Or even sewn in, as the inner edge of the included cover (as shown) is missing the left edge text.

These are probably not sewn in (though I have occasionally seen that).
The first bound set.lists;
Ware Hawk" 1984 Ballantine Books = could be a first printing
"Gate of the Cat" Ace 1988, = Not a first edition
"Storms of Victory" 1982 Andre Norton with P.M. Griffin. Probably a typo - as first paperback is 1992
Irene
I assume the original paperbacks were glued. I thought you'd need the book to be printed 4 pages to a sheet of paper to be sewn, so how were the previous paperbacks you saw sewn into the binding?
From a librarian's perspective: These look like paperbacks that were bound into one cover, although who knows why. In the past I used to have worn library books rebound, but they end up with ugly plain covers. In addition, the book is trimmed all the way around, leaving much smaller margins. You can see in the one with Trey of Swords that the cover has been trimmed, losing some of the graphics.

I can't speak to why someone would bind several paperbacks together like this, as it would ruin them for collectors.

Mike
Hmmm. The question on how you would sew them into the binding.

Well you cannot sew them in through the (signatures) pages into the mesh binding.

What I have seen is that there were stitches through all of the pages, similar to the way you punch holes in paper to put it into a three-ring-binder. These were then stitched to the binding.

I have a book that was drilled with holes, and then a comb of plastic was put through. Then a single edge of plastic was melted to the comb edges.
Sadly this book has to be "snapped" into place as the melted edge comes loose.

If one were buying this book, you would need to get a picture of the inside spine.

My bet is glue.

The "best" library binding, would take a single paper back, seal the original cover into the boards, and then glue the book to the boards. This would be done to protect loose pages.
Remember those circa 1977 stiff bindings that cracked, and pages fell out.
Irene
PS: Not illegal. But only worth the $$ if there weren't any other copies around.
At best these are bound reading copies. I wouldn't pay more than $3 per 'bound paperback collection'.
Irene

MYCode Guide