Edit existing post function fail?
I attempted to use the "edit" function on a 3 yr old post of mine. The display showed a completely blank edit window instead of the marked-up text of the existing post and the display-formatted "proof" of the existing post. I cancelled without entering anything, lest I perhaps inadvertently destroy the existing post or do something else detrimental. After 2 or 3 attempts with no displayed "as found" post text, I gave up.

I had edited very recent posts successfully.

Is this a bug, or a new feature?
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
It's a bug, that Michael first noticed here.

It seems to turn up here and there with no rhyme or reason or pattern. Sad

You were probably right to hit "cancel" The temporary solution, of course, is to copy anything you may want to edit, and then if you get the blank screen - which
happens to me most commonly when I go from regular "edit" to "advanced" - you can always paste the original back in, and then edit and update that. Smile

It's unrelated, but nevertheless analogous, to what we've all experienced with assorted technologies, going back to at least the 70's. My mother used to work for a newspaper,
and the publisher forced the reporters to convert to computers rather than typewriters c. 1974. And she would tell me how an otherwise mild-mannered, sedate middle-aged man
would randomly explode into a fury of profanity, when someone would walk by his desk, and the friction of the shoes of the passer-by on the newsroom carpet would somehow
generate static electricity, wiping out the reporter's entire article right as the deadline was at hand.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
We will try to upgrade the forum software later this year, I promise. I'm just so far behind on work projects from being sick for two months that it will probably be this summer.

What I have found works for me, when this problem kicks in, is grabbing all the text and pasting it in to the empty edit box -- as August suggests above.
I thought of that, but decided holding up and inquiring about this problem (having missed the earlier discussion previously mentioned, and its relevance to this issue) was the better part of valor.

Many of my longer posts (such as installments of MD&MFV) are indeed composed with a word processor, then cut & pasted.
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Click to Edit? Alvin Eriol 1 218 February 12th, 2022, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Michael
  NEW FORUM ISSUES (post here) MAY 27, 2019 Michael 9 1,682 December 22nd, 2020, 12:31 AM
  How Much Do You Care about the "Last Post" Column in the forums? Michael 2 755 April 23rd, 2019, 06:02 PM
  Can we post science fiction and fantasy artworks? badlands 1 763 May 16th, 2017, 11:37 AM
  May 2017 - Can you edit your posts? Michael 0 534 May 1st, 2017, 02:18 PM
  If you CAN log in but CANNOT post... BoardAdmin 2 2,149 July 16th, 2011, 08:57 PM
  Post not showing up gemini0521 2 1,332 May 11th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Last Post: gemini0521
  Before I post... Boba,Obi Wan,Jango 6 1,157 June 28th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Wamkingofallwookiees
  Post "time" Jillibaby 3 807 May 2nd, 2005, 02:35 PM
  Post your comments on Fan Fic Virtual Seasons here Michael 2 799 June 29th, 2004, 04:13 PM