Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
I have friends going to see the Play in New York City.

I have read the book, and wondered how one would stage a play with many flash backs?
Irene
Oh that's easy - plenty of plays are told in flashback.

The first challenge is scene changes, but if everything is set in one place - Hogwarts for example, then that's not an issue. But if locations jump all over the place, then it's the same challenge one
faces for a show that has a linear narrative. The Wizard of Oz, for example, has a huge amount of scene changes. Shrek the Musical is another that comes to mind. Also Oliver!
and Les Miserables and Spamalot. So....

- you can build lots of scenery that can be quickly and easily moved on and off stage, and use lots of stagehands to make those changes.

OR...

- you can use painted scenic drops (ballets and operas often do this, where you aren't expecting complete realism, and the scenery isn't why you're there anyway) that can be dropped down
and pulled back up in a matter of seconds, and then you just roll in a few pieces of furniture and props to complete whatever the setting is.

OR....

- you have a non-realistic, non-representational set. Particular locations can be established just by a change of lighting, and maybe a projected image. This is from Pippin, and the setting changes from
the interior of a small chapel to the court of the Holy Roman Empire...but it doesn't really matter, because you're paying attention to the singing. :bg:

Morning Glow from Pippin From YouTube
SF-Fandom not responsible for video content

SF-Fandom reserves the right to remove inappropriate video content from its discussions. YouTube may remove the video from its service without notification.

And then this is supposed to outdoors, in the fields outside a castle in the country:

No Time at All from Pippin From YouTube
SF-Fandom not responsible for video content

SF-Fandom reserves the right to remove inappropriate video content from its discussions. YouTube may remove the video from its service without notification.

Now as for how you make it clear what is flashback and what isn't... well, many options. If the setting is different, then it's clear what is taking when. If it's an adult remembering his childhood,
then you can use a younger actor. Or the adult actor can step into the flashback scene with maybe a slight costume change, but act much younger, signifying that this is in the past.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Interestingly, the NY Times has an article about this that touches on some of those very issues - click here. Smile
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
I read part of the article. Doesn't give anything away.

I'm thinking of a large stage with the main scene, and small mini-stages that slide on & off. [The technology is there. Thanks for reminding me of Les Mis. and I've seen CIRQUE including the one where the whole stage lifts/rotates on it's side, and even gets a ship on the top].

The story skips around locations, years, characters and just about everything. I suppose, the small sets (flashback) can appear in side location.
Irene
Yep, and I think this photo from the article gives a good idea - my guess is that the stairs roll on and off, while the castle's stonework remains constant in the back. So you could then roll in something else to
represent Harry and Ron's room, or a classroom, or the forest.

Attached Files Image(s)

Here's another USA Today article about the opening. :bg:

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Harry Potter game badlands 2 572 March 14th, 2021, 11:18 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Harry Potter bar badlands 3 345 February 5th, 2021, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Michael
  HBO Harry Potter reboot badlands 1 264 January 31st, 2021, 12:24 PM
  Harry Potter theories badlands 10 892 November 5th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Last Post: august
  Did Harry Potter die? badlands 3 435 November 5th, 2018, 12:12 PM
Last Post: august
  The Hillywood Show Harry Potter parody (video) Michael 4 689 September 17th, 2018, 05:33 PM
  Universal Studios Harry Potter badlands 1 366 September 5th, 2018, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Irene
  Harry Potter wedding badlands 2 406 August 29th, 2018, 09:54 AM
  Harry Potter presequel news badlands 7 1,104 December 25th, 2017, 04:22 PM
  Potter "Easter Eggs" Mordomin 1 733 July 1st, 2017, 10:24 PM