Daybreak - 2250 A.D. [Star Man's Son] discussion
https://www.tor.com/2018/01/22/after-the...-2250-a-d/

Smile

Jerrie
Better still, let's have our own discussion here - I'm sure we have many more insights. :bg:

This was one of the earlier Norton novels I read - thinking in 8th grade, when I ordered it through one of those Scholastic Book Services catalogs they would pass around.
But pretty sure I'd read others before.

The Jack Kirby comic book Kamandi came out around that same time, and there were some similarities, although just common sci-fi tropes.

Always wondered why this never came onto Hollywood's radar, but then you can say that for most of Norton's works. :/

Attached Files Image(s)

August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
I too once had a copy I'd ordered from Scholastic. As I recall, that was when "post-apocalyptic" lit and movies were getting popular & trendy. I'd forgotten long since that it was a Norton book.
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
Yeah - let's explore that a little bit. Smile

Star Man's Son
came out in 1952, and I'm pretty sure we both got leftover copies of the Ace paperback reissue from 1968 (seen below.)

Planet of the Apes was really a social satire, and came out in 1963, but the 1968 film added a post-apocalyptic tone, as did the 1970 sequel. Let's think - the novel Logan's Run came out
1967, the 1954 novel I Am Legend became The Omega Man in 1971, Gene Roddenberry did his two post-apocalyptic pilots Genesis II and Planet Earth in 1973 and 1974 respectively.
Then there was Soylent Green in 1973 (based on Make Room! Make Room! from 1966) the comic strip Kamandi (1972) and Roger Zelazny's novel This Immortal (1966) and Damnation Alley (1969.)

That's a good bit, all around the same time. Can we think of others?

Attached Files Image(s)

August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Thank you for the idea. So was STAR MAN'S SON ahead of the curve? With the retitled ACE editions, which started in 1954 put out as the other novels and movies became popular?

Is this a "Which came first?" idea? Since it takes about as long for a book to get published, as a movie (with special effects) to get to the screen, could this have been an original idea, or something that came to multiple minds at one time.
Let's see 1952 was part of the baby-boom era, so at the end of the Korean War. Ace picked up the title in 1954, and published new # in 1962, through 1976. Fawcett picked it up in 1978.

I'm using the paper back editions because those are the most often read. Libraries usually only carried the hard covers, and I have no idea what edition Scholastic sold to it's readers. 1968 was still $.50
Irene
There was, heh, Harlan Ellison's "A Boy and His Dog", the short story cycle/novella begun in 1969, and the L.Q. Jones movie adaptation released 1975. IIRC Ellison used post-apoc and end of mankind themes in a goodly number of his stories. "Deathbird" and "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" come to mind.

A little later in 1979 the "Mad Max" cycle came along. Interestingly the 'apocalypse' preceding at least the 1st movie was not the usual nuclear World War III , but a general societal breakdown and slide into anarchy against which a few remnants of lawfulness such as the (Australian) "Main Federal Police," of which Max was a member, try to hold the line. The second movie Mad Max II: The Road Warrior helped define the look and feel of the post-apocalyptic anarchy movie genre.
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
Yep, Boy/Dog would fit right in there with that chronology. And obviously the post-WWII fear of nuclear devastation fueled much of this.

Now as far as other works before Norton... the only ones I can think of off the top of my head are the Moon Men trilogy by Edgar Rice Burroughs, and his other future history adventure The Lost Continent.
Plus Charles Tanner's Tumithak trilogy (aka "Thumbelina" :laugh: ) which was one inspiration for Cleopatra 2525.

Did she do any other post-apocalyptic tales?
Yes. Most of her Science Fiction was after the world fell apart, we pick up the pieces... Or after the inter-Galactic war, a single person picks up the pieces of their life.

Ms Norton's first SF was 1947 "People of the Crater" and 1948 "Gifts of Asti"
1953 brought out STAR RANGERS which combined the two; Inter-Galactic War & Post apocalypse (sorry if spelled wrong) stories. So after Burroughs, and before a lot of others.
Irene
Post-apocalyptic world? " How about one where scientists were termed "STINKMEN" were outlawed and hunted down like rabid dogs? I refer to the book that turned me on to reading,my first Norton The Stars Our Ours Later Kind Folks--Paul

Appropriately, it came out in 1954, my birth year.
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
Daybreak was one of my first Norton books and one of my first post-apocalyptic books. I had already seen a ton of post-apocalyptic movies by the time I read this book but it was much more satisfying.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beast Master’s Circus - Discussion Marron4Gateau 3 65 January 6th, 2022, 10:53 AM
Last Post: Irene
  Imperial Lady - Discussion Marron4Gateau 8 226 December 30th, 2021, 10:33 AM
  Day of the Ness - Discussion Marron4Gateau 1 109 December 7th, 2021, 09:51 AM
  The Elvenbane - Discussion Marron4Gateau 0 110 November 8th, 2021, 11:58 PM
Last Post: Marron4Gateau
  The Shadow of Albion - Discussion Marron4Gateau 1 168 October 27th, 2021, 08:32 AM
  Huon of the Horn - Discussion Marron4Gateau 4 231 October 17th, 2021, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Atlantis Endgame - Discussion Marron4Gateau 2 216 October 6th, 2021, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Derelict for Trade - Discussion Marron4Gateau 0 188 September 27th, 2021, 11:12 PM
  Sneeze On Sunday - Discussion Lots-A-Watts 1 159 August 30th, 2021, 11:52 PM
  Sneeze on Sunday (aka Murders for Sale) - Discussion Marron4Gateau 0 146 August 30th, 2021, 11:51 PM