22 years of Xena Warrior Princess :O
It's been 22 years! :jawdrop: Details and thoughts in the NZ Herald.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Can't say I saw any surprises in that article. But then, my memory goes back to the First Age, when Anthony Quinn was Zeus.

I'm not sure we'll see the Xena revival some fans are hoping for. The fandom became very divided between those who wanted Xena and Gabrielle to be a couple and those who wanted them to be friends. Maybe all that is now settled but a show that is exclusively about the characters' sexuality would have a hard time finding a broad audience. How do you evolve the ambiguity into clarity and still make the show wildly appealing? Either you acknowledge they are who they are but move the fact into the background, focusing on other aspects of their character and the situations that will push them forward, or you create a show that may be doomed to find only a niche audience.

I haven't seen any serious op-ed articles exploring the challenges facing the revival movement but I think that all the business decision-makers who have been approached or who had an interest in a reboot have been doing the math and no one is willing or able to take the plunge.

Maybe it's far less complicated than that. Maybe they just don't have a strong enough "fresh" concept to take it to the bank yet.
Michael Wrote:I haven't seen any serious op-ed articles exploring the challenges facing the revival movement

Well I'm not sure any actual news organizations would be likely do any op-eds on one of almost countless old shows that might or might not ever be redone.

Quote:I think that all the business decision-makers who have been approached or who had an interest in a reboot have been doing the math and no one is willing or able to take the plunge.

As far as I know, there was never any approaching - NBC-Universal in its various incarnations was and is the only entity allowed to make any decisions. And apparently they were looking into a reboot, and were fully
prepared to take the financial plunge... if there was an acceptable script/story/treatment, as detailed here. But they had "creative differences" much like Joss Whedon's Wonder Woman project, so it's back in limbo.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
I don't know why they don't just go ahead and do it, in some form or another. Throw it on SyFy, they don't have too much going on there these days, it seems. If they can
produced space-based sci-fi shows like Dark Matter and Killjoys, they shouldn't have much problem handling the budget for a Xena tv-movie or mini-series.

The marketing would do itself, all the internet commentary sites loose their minds for anything headed up by women these days, anyway. A show with two female leads would
probably implode the internet with all the positive "girl power" articles it would generate! :laugh:
That last is undoubtedly true - remember how much buzz was generated when they first let slip rumors of a reboot.

With the Syfy thing, I think TPTB (as the fan world used to refer to Studios USA, now part of NBC-Uni) have a firmly-entrenched mindset that Xena was a big title at one point,m so they're going to sit on it until such
time as they can make a BIG splash with it. I recall at one point back in, what, 2005? Rob pitched the idea of a stand-alone movie to someone, made to ultra-economical Ren Pics standards (probably as a direct-to-cable
or direct-to-vidoe) project and no one was interested. With Wonder Woman such a hit, you'd think now would be the time... but of course they sat on Wonder Woman for 15+ years after the superhero movie trend got underway too.
Whether they do a movie or a television, how would they make it relateable to a general audience? It's one thing to have a very dedicated LGBT audience that wants an overt Xena-Gabrielle pairing. But it's another thing to tell the general viewing audience that, hey, we're going to do this lesbian action-adventure show. It has to be about more than just the relationship. I'm not sure how long the uber-dedicated shippers would be able to hang on to a show that was just about a relationship set in a fantasy world.

X:WP began as a spinoff of Hercules, and THAT show was a kind of spinoff of the 4-5 movies Kevin Sorbo did where they re-imagined the Hercules myths. Everything was supposed to be based on a Greek myth, even down to Jason and the Argonauts. But when Xena came along they had to make stuff up as they went along and still keep it tied in to the world of Hercules. Without that H:TLJ anchor to hang on to this time around, they could stage the show in almost any timeframe or mythology. In fact, "The Xena Scrolls" would be all the justification they need to do that.

But what would be the point of the show beyond just the relationship? I don't think you'll get a large audience to love the show for 3-6 years if you don't have a larger concept. I doubt people would object to the relationship, but unless you do a parody of a "reality" TV show about two women warriors (which actually might work), you have to create some sort of arc. Does that mean they bring back Hercules and Iolaus and the Olympian gods? Do they integrate the Eli arc into it? Where do you go with these two characters?
Exactly. And would you add in the comedy vein? Javi said he was going to go back to the most fundamental roots of the characters, keeping the obvious things (reformed warlord, younger innocent village girl w/ gift of gab, ancient Greek setting) but not remaking or continuing the existing storyline.
I'm sure one big question would have been whether or not to incorporate much of the mythology/fantasy aspect. You can have Amazons as fierce warrriors in just about any context, but when you have giants and Cyclopses and Titans and gods, it goes in a very specific direction.

Since you could have a female-centric show about an inter-dependent relationship in any setting - two cops, for example - we have to assume that the desire to redo XWP is the sword + sandal aspect. Which Javi said he would keep, especially after hair-splitters and vocabulary-parsers read something into his random comment about
doing a modern Xena for a new generation (or something like that.) And of course he just meant the same ancient Greek warrior princess story, but for a new generation of tweens and teens who have an added 20 years of Buffy, Storm and Mystique, Lara Croft, and Resident Evil in their collective experience.

Just about every fantasy remake/reboot has started with an origin story, so if and when the project is revived, I can't imagine it jumping past that in its first incarnation. Meaning no need to worry about Eli, or anything that happened in later seasons. Or really anything that happened period, since plenty of TV reboots have just started fresh - Hawaii Five-O, for example, Lois and Clark, Smallville, BSG, etc. etc.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does anyone know the words to the Xena burial song? xenagabby888 25 28,789 October 6th, 2021, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Videos: Lucy Lawless interviews about Xena: Warrior Princess Michael 0 198 April 7th, 2021, 04:35 PM
Big Grin Happy 25th Anniversary Xena ! august 4 608 November 12th, 2020, 09:05 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Where were you *20* years ago? (the answer: watching Back 2 Back Action!) august 65 6,476 February 24th, 2020, 09:46 PM
  Xena faces off against Callisto...behind the bar! august 9 1,226 November 20th, 2018, 08:35 PM
  Xena stars on the shows 20th anniversary Boomstick 1 609 September 4th, 2018, 10:46 AM
Last Post: august
  NBC-Universal is serious about a Xena reboot ... or are they? august 34 2,355 August 22nd, 2017, 07:51 PM
  Little Xena + Gabby on Halloween! august 3 2,069 October 29th, 2016, 12:57 PM
  Xena opening credits - Lego style! august 4 619 October 9th, 2016, 04:57 PM
  Shatner to produce a documentary about Xena fans? august 3 788 October 23rd, 2012, 01:02 AM