Why are most Greek monsters in myths considered females?
In the Odyssey, there are more female monsters than males ones. This seems to be a common trend in Greek myths and most of time Hera is considered the bad guy for being loyal to her husbland while women who aren't loyal are considered monsters,too?
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
No, there are plenty of male monsters - chimaera, cyclops, Minotaur, Typhon, etc. But sometimes one needs to be female, for xample Echidna, who
literally gave birth to most of the others, so therefore has to be female. I think in the Odyssey that's more coincidence than anything else - harpies,
Scylla and Charybdis were pre-existing female stories that any adventurer, including Odysseus, would encounter, while Circe, Calypso, and the Sirens
had the added quality of seduction, so they had to be female to lure the male sailors. The Cyclops, the Lotus-Eaters and the Laestrygonians weren't all female.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
I think at one time there was a literary theory about corruption in the myths, and how the corruption of a woman was deemed a greater wrong than the corruption of a man. Hence, the female monsters were more horrifying. I could be misremembering that but I think that was the idea.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is considered a religion sect or cult? badlands 4 1,064 December 26th, 2020, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Morthoron
  Who are the sociopaths and psychopaths in myths, etc? badlands 0 587 January 9th, 2019, 06:24 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Tibetian myths compare to other buddhists beliefs badlands 0 644 February 18th, 2017, 05:09 PM
Last Post: badlands
  were any greek gods considered to be both good and evil? Granpa 6 6,212 June 12th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Brandon
  Good Book on Greek Mythology? dasher 4 2,340 December 11th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Michael
  LEgends and myths about wars badlands 1 1,042 November 28th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Last Post: EDSEL_PK
  la llorona and other myths about evil ghosts/magic people badlands 2 2,138 March 30th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  creation myths badlands 17 3,378 February 23rd, 2009, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Greek Mythology John Thiel 15 3,524 October 2nd, 2007, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Jim Colyer
  Runes and Norse myths Data_android 3 1,739 December 7th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Last Post: chenresi