And now Donald Trump is President of the United States ...
I never thought I would have lived to see the day when someone as bizarre and unpredictable as Donald Trump would become President. I did not vote for him. I would not vote for him. He does not represent my values.

But I have to admit that he has done something amazing. Far more Republican politicians have come out and admitted that climate change is real and is being influenced by human activity in the past five days than had in the past 50 years.

The next four to eight years should prove to be interesting.
It's a little surreal, no doubt. I've been extremely disappointed in the reactions of some liberal friends and acquaintances. They seem to be lashing out now that their bubble has popped, rather than trying to understand what happened, or accepting responsibility for shortcomings.

The change from some Republicans in views on climate change is extremely welcome, although my suspicion is that we're 15-20 years too late. Unfortunately, I don't think we can avoid the consequences at this point. Melting of the polar ice caps and practical extinctions of wildlife there, and the oceans at large, seems likely. Needless to say, this isn't the sort of era I had hoped to live in.
Boomstick Wrote:It's a little surreal, no doubt. I've been extremely disappointed in the reactions of some liberal friends and acquaintances.
They seem to be lashing out now that their bubble has popped, rather than trying to understand what happened, or accepting responsibility for shortcomings.

That has been my experience as well. I was never any fan of Trump, and would have been quite happy with a John Huntsman/John Kasich ticket, or for that matter, while not enthusiastic,
I wouldn't have been scared by Jeb Bush or the return of Mitt Romney. But I'd have wanted them to run against Bernie, and then let a real debate about issues take
place, and let the people decide. (I still dream of the liberal-progressive Lamar Alexander-Elizabeth Dole GOP ticket that never happened, with her later becoming
the first female president, but that's another issue, especially since it involves envisioning her in the 1970's in a bikini. Wink )

But while I sympathize and agree with somewhere from many to most of the issues embraced by the Democratic party - climate change for example - the current moral superiority I see now (i.e. "we're educated, Republicans are not, we know what's best for the majority, and anyone who disagrees is a bigot, a racist, a redneck, a homophobe, a xenophobe, and a misogynist")
reminds me VERY much of the Moral Majority movement from 30 years ago. Just using the same "we're right because we say we are" tactics for the opposite political side.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Elizabeth Dole in a bikini ... I am speechless.

As for Mr. Trump, he has had a very colorful first week. I think he may shorten the lifespans of most liberal Americans through a constant stream of stress-inducing initiatives.
He is becoming more paranoid by the minute.
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video: Yahoo Finance talks with Rafael Bostick, Atlanta Fed President, April 14, 2020 Michael 0 370 April 14th, 2020, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Michael
  President George H. W. Bush Has Passed Alvin Eriol 0 393 December 1st, 2018, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Alvin Eriol
  Dr. Donald Berwick: Hippocratic or Hypocritical? inked 9 1,242 August 11th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Last Post: august
  Michael Martinez for U.S. President 2008 - Confirming my candidacy Michael 10 732 September 15th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Fantasy
  Vermont tops rankings of healthy states RobRoy 2 636 November 12th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Last Post: Alvin Eriol
  Former US President Gerald Ford Has Died Alvin Eriol 2 607 January 9th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Last Post: jackscolon
  Former U.S. President Ronald Reagan Dies Boomstick 8 1,002 June 14th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Last Post: shadowfax
  Nation States DeamondBleed 11 764 May 28th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Last Post: DeamondBleed
  United Planet - A Community Beyond Borders Unregistered 0 336 February 16th, 2003, 02:03 AM
Last Post: Unregistered