Shin Godzilla
I saw the new Toho Godzilla film this week. I really enjoyed it, but reaction I've seen online seems to be love it or hate it. It's actually similar to the 2014 American Godzilla movie in that it focuses on the people dealing with the crisis Godzilla causes. Having said that, I found when the focus was on Godzilla, they really made the most of it. I thought the destruction scenes were some of the most satisfying I've ever seen.

They also do quite a bit of new stuff, as far as I can tell. I haven't seen every Godzilla movie yet, but I don't think any of them have portrayed the monster like this before. It's a nice change of pace, and after 29 Japanese movies and 2 American ones, I think switching it up once in a while is necessary.

The film seems to be two things, first a commentary on bloated bureaucracy, and second questioning Japan's place in the modern world. Which is to say it's very much a film made for Japanese audiences.

Overall, I thought it was a great film, and worth a look. Lots of subtitles, though, so be warned if you don't like reading your movies! Not only is the dialogue subtitled, but almost every location, character, cabinet meeting, etc gets an identification posted on screen. It gets pretty busy. When it releases on DVD I'll likely watch it once without subtitles just to be able to take in the scenes visually.
So as I understand it this is a complete reboot of the series, including some homages to the 1954 original but not acting as a sequel to it.

Watch Trailer for "Shin Godzilla" from YouTube
SF-Fandom not responsible for video content

SF-Fandom reserves the right to remove inappropriate video content from its discussions. YouTube may remove the video from its service without notification.
I've been trying to find out if I can watch it here in Vancouver, and as near as I can find out, there will be one showing at one theater on Halloween. Boo! (and I don't mean in a ghostly way)
Michael Wrote:So as I understand it this is a complete reboot of the series, including some homages to the 1954 original but not acting as a sequel to it.
Yes, it's all new. Some of the articles I read about the movie made a big deal that it was a "reboot." It's neither here nor there, IMO. Continuity, doesn't mean much after nearly 30 movies. And out of the 6 features in the Millennium series of films (1999-2004) only two shared continuity. The rest were stand alone movies that were supposed to be sequels to the original, if I recall correctly.

rkomar Wrote:I've been trying to find out if I can watch it here in Vancouver, and as near as I can find out, there will be one showing at one theater on Halloween. Boo! (and I don't mean in a ghostly way)
Yeah, it's been really limited. Keep checking back, though. It was very successful in the United States, and they ended up adding dates and showings, so maybe the same will happen in your area.
Here is an "exclusive clip" that IGN released a couple of months ago.

Watch IGN's exclusive clip for "Shin Godzilla" from YouTube

SF-Fandom reserves the right to remove inappropriate video content from its discussions. YouTube may remove the video from its service without notification.
Writing about Science Fiction and Fantasy films.
http://www.sf-fandom.com/
Here is a clip featuring Godzilla's "atomic breath".

Watch Shin Godzilla's atomic breath video from YouTube

Writing about Science Fiction and Fantasy films.
http://www.sf-fandom.com/

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Godzilla vs King Kong trailer badlands 2 201 February 6th, 2021, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Toho Studios Serves Cease + Desist Letter on That Godzilla Guy - but it ends happily :D august 22 1,380 July 16th, 2019, 09:28 PM
  Godzilla the king of monsters badlands 2 307 July 6th, 2019, 03:54 PM
  Video: Trailer for "Godzilla: King of the Monsters" FilmGuy 0 300 July 21st, 2018, 10:00 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Haruo Nakajima the man behind the godzilla suit has passed away. badlands 2 396 August 24th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Michael