Burroughs and the 14-year-old Forrest Ackerman (in honor of ERB's birthday today!)
Today is the birthday of Edgar Rice Burroughs, who was born on Sept. 1, 1875. This is a letter that the 14-year-old Forrest J. Ackerman (who grew up to be a
famous and very successful literary agent and magazine editor) wrote to Burroughs, informing him of an argument he had with his teacher regarding his novels.

(Thankfully I had fairly progressive teachers when I was growing up, and they were quite understanding and indeed encouraging whenever I chose a genre
novel for some class project, because it indicated that, like Ackerman, I was reading on my own. And so while just about everyone else in my class would
struggle with some book from a list of "approved" works and try to bluff/fake their way through a book report on something that pout them to sleep, I chose
titles like Arthur Conan Doyle's The White Company, H. Rider Haggard's She, C. S. Forrester's Horatio Hornblower novels, or Nicholas Meyer's The 7 Per Cent Solution, that I loved, and that I could expound upon at great length.)

Attached Files Image(s)

August - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
august Wrote:Today is the birthday of Edgar Rice Burroughs, who was born on Sept. 1, 1875. This is a letter that the 14-year-old Forrest J. Ackerman (who grew up to be a
famous and very successful literary agent and magazine editor)...
Ackerman was also creator (or co-creator, I'm not clear on who did what with that character) of Vampirella! That's a great letter, and I pretty much agree with Burroughs' assessment of reading and literature.
One of my high school English teachers was pretty cool, and never blinked at the numerous Tarzan books I had out from the library. It was a copy of "Martians Go Home" by Fredric Brown (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43906...ns_Go_Home) that made her shake her head and smile wryly. Maybe she only saw the movie version of it Wink.
In a sense ERB was lucky as to when he was born. Lost Worlds on Earth in the early 20th century were still somewhat plausible. The Lost World genre at least in regards to Earth no longer works. Human explorations of the planet have been a triumph but doomed the Lost Worlds genre
What happened to August's image? I'm seeing a picture of a woman instead of the letter.
An image of a woman flashed before my eyes too. No idea what happened. I guess something was corrupted when we changed forum software. Still haven't had time to look for the image files. Sorry.
(February 17th, 2020, 04:37 PM)rkomar Wrote: What happened to August's image?  I'm seeing a picture of a woman instead of the letter.

Yeah, I'm seeing a picture of Tricia Helfer, I think.
Yep, I think 100% of the uploaded images lost their ...unique ID, or coding, or whatever, so now a random image turns up instead. That was probably Vicky Pratt.
August - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Still haven't had time to figure this out. Sorry, folks. I've been flittering between feeling well enough to work and not feeling well. I just can't get to everything like I used to.

Okay -- I probably never did get to everything ...
I brought up the problem before I noticed it was raised in other threads. I'm not really in a rush to get this fixed; I mostly just wanted Michael to know that there was a problem. I'm fine with it taking a while to get resolved.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History Almost Vindicated One of Edgar Rice Burroughs' Crazy Ideas Michael 2 186 April 16th, 2018, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Michael
  "Burroughs" in the John Carter film was... august 1 1,098 September 15th, 2017, 09:33 PM
  Edgar Rice Burroughs 100 Year Art Chronology and History redsoxburns 0 203 May 24th, 2017, 04:57 PM
Last Post: redsoxburns
  A Quite Personal Reflection on Edgar Rice Burroughs RonPrice 0 471 April 18th, 2015, 10:20 PM
Last Post: RonPrice
  John Carter rights back with Burroughs august 9 951 January 19th, 2015, 02:16 PM
  Edgar Rice Burroughs' Birthday Today! Nightspore 6 926 September 11th, 2013, 11:28 PM
  Edgar Rice Burroughs Tarzan books racist? badlands 3 5,227 October 19th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Last Post: Zagor
  Chicagoans can tour Edgar Rice Burroughs' home Michael 0 1,175 September 15th, 2007, 11:02 PM
  Xenite.Org's Edgar Rice Burroughs site Michael 0 668 May 26th, 2004, 11:14 PM