Mordomin versus the Bionic Man
First of all, this is not the announcement of a “Tolkien/Six Million Dollar Man” crossover story. Although anything is possible, I suppose. But I thought that I should mention that upfront.

This is about certain feats of strength that Mordomin performs with his cursed right arm, and similar feats that Steve Austin performs with his bionic arm.

Skeptics, sci-fi writers, and other forms of wet blanket-tossers have often claimed that physics and biology prove that Steve Austin would have either ripped his bionic arm clean off of his human body, or broken all the bones in his torso, or both, doing some of the things that he is seen doing during the TV show.

My fan-fic character Mordomin has an arm that is, at least superficially, comparable to that of Steve Austin.

Mordomin performs feats, in my various stories of him, by the strength of his cursed arm, that are comparable to those of Mister Austin – pounding his way through a stone wall, or casting spears to improbable distances – that ought to likewise rip his enhanced arm from his body, or else shatter his supporting bone structure.

Thoughts?
"Never ask an Elf for advice, for he will say both 'Yes' and 'No'." - Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion
I vaguely remember some of those criticisims about the "Six Million Dollar Man" series. I found them amusing, but I didn't let them spoil my enjoyment of the series. Will Smith's character in "I,Robot" has [spoiler alert] a robotic arm like Steve Austin's which might also seem problematic to some sci-fi purists.

Mordomin is a fantasy character. In my book, that means he gets even more latitude as to what he can and cannot do. Call it the "It's Magic" device, LOL!
If some Disney-princess can do it, why not Sauron?
When I was a wee lad, well, a teen, watching the Six Million Dollar Man, that thought occurred to me as well. Consider the little cutscene in the opening credits where Col. Austin is lifting that engine block with one hand! If his bionic arm was merely attached to his human shoulder he would indeed either tear the bionic arm loose or pull himself down, or break his own shoulder or spine!.

(so now every time I read of fic-Mordomin manifesting "super strength" I'll hear that little sound effect in the background: tch-tch-tch-tch-tch-tch!) :laugh:

Austin would have needed his entire skeleton and much of his musculature similarly augmented. In other words, he would have needed to be a cyborg in an almost entirely artificial body kinda like Robocop. One of the better treatments of this kind of thing I've read was how they augmented Angus Thermopylae in Stephen R. Donaldson's sci-fi Gap cycle, in which they did indeed reinforce his skeleton and muscles over his entire body. (and implanted electrodes in his brain to control him!)

However, given the conceits and fantasy milieu which Mordomin inhabits, it's not implausible, IMO. You yourself have stated that Sauron's essence permeated Mordomin throughout his body and fea; it was just most visible and complete in his right hand. Therefore it seems reasonable that his entire body would be augmented and strengthened by the curse enough to allow his curse-enabled feats of strength. Moreover you also endowed him with "healing factor" (as I think Marvel Comics would say), so whatever damage he did in one of his stunts would soon mend itself.
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
Alvin Eriol Wrote:However, given the conceits and fantasy milieu which Mordomin inhabits, it's not implausible, IMO. You yourself have stated that Sauron's essence permeated Mordomin throughout his body and fea; it was just most visible and complete in his right hand. Therefore it seems reasonable that his entire body would be augmented and strengthened by the curse enough to allow his curse-enabled feats of strength. Moreover you also endowed him with "healing factor" (as I think Marvel Comics would say), so whatever damage he did in one of his stunts would soon mend itself.
Thank you for noting how the curse of Mordomin is distributed throughout his body, albeit concentrated in his arm. Also, since you have now linked him to Marvel comics, perhaps my next post should be "Mordomin versus the Winter Soldier", LOL!
"Never ask an Elf for advice, for he will say both 'Yes' and 'No'." - Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion
Mordomin Wrote:Thank you for noting how the curse of Mordomin is distributed throughout his body, albeit concentrated in his arm. Also, since you have now linked him to Marvel comics, perhaps my next post should be "Mordomin versus the Winter Soldier", LOL!
Actually, it seems to me that would be one helluva fight. Mordomin is, in Marvel terms, the first "super soldier". With all apologies to the Cap.
Mordomin Wrote:Actually, it seems to me that would be one helluva fight. Mordomin is, in Marvel terms, the first "super soldier". With all apologies to the Cap.

Marvel seems to feature a # of superheroes that are altered in less benign ways, shall we say in a sense "cursed", than Capt. America. Could Mordomin be more comparable to say Spider-man or the Hulk? (Funny I can't bring any really comparable DC characters to mind; Superman might be the closest)

IN Middle-Earth, I suppose Mordomin would normally be more powerful than any of the Eruhini, and probably many of the Ainur as well. Only the Valar, and those top-tier Maiar in Sauron's league like Eonwe and Osse could be expected to go toe-to-toe. The Istari probably would be hard pressed.

There MIGHT be one exception in Middle-Earth, however. Glorfindel might be the anti-Mordomin. (Maybe that's one reason he came out of the West and joined Elrond's household.) He might be comparable to Marvell's Thor, only with a much better attitude and sense of humor!
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
Alvin Eriol Wrote:There MIGHT be one exception in Middle-Earth, however. Glorfindel might be the anti-Mordomin. (Maybe that's one reason he came out of the West and joined Elrond's household.) He might be comparable to Marvell's Thor, only with a much better attitude and sense of humor!
I think that it is possible that the Valar sent forth Glorfindel to be a counter to Mordomin. But like the Istari, Glorfindel was not meant to confront Mordomin directly. In my stories, Glorfindel and Mordomin are rivals, but friendly ones for the most part. Well, as much as the bitter attitude of Mordomin allows.

For example, Mordomin bristles when Elrond gives command to Glorfindel to the force that is sent from Rivendell to the relief of Arthedain, but Mordomin goes with that force in spite of the slight (from his view) and makes no complaint. Nor does he fault Glorfindel or Elrond, nor even the Men of Gondor for arriving too late to prevent the defeat of Arvedui. Admittedly, some took his silence to be him being secretly pleased that Arthedain had fallen; he cannot altogether hide his pleasure at this latest misfortune of the House of Isildur.
I think that this discussion might have sparked a new story. Whether or no, I thank everyone for the input. As always!

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A New/Old Mordomin story Mordomin 4 395 June 21st, 2020, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Michael
  New Introduction to Mordomin stories Mordomin 1 404 October 12th, 2019, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Mordomin
  A new Mordomin story... Mordomin 1 270 August 22nd, 2018, 04:34 AM
  New Mordomin story "Destroyer of Dragons" now posted Mordomin 0 349 February 20th, 2018, 08:51 AM
  Forth the Mordomin-ingas! Mordomin 0 246 September 17th, 2017, 08:55 AM
  New Mordomin chapter posted Mordomin 8 481 September 16th, 2017, 03:55 AM
  A New Mordomin story comes to SF Fandom Mordomin 0 219 April 22nd, 2017, 11:50 AM
  A new Mordomin story Mordomin 1 310 July 3rd, 2016, 12:56 AM
  New Mordomin story Mordomin 3 328 March 20th, 2016, 08:47 PM
  Why does Mordomin hate trolls so much? Mordomin 12 823 August 16th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Alvin Eriol