Should these fantasy books or series be made into movie or T.V series?
http://screenrant.com/fantasy-novels-tv-...id-120193/

http://furiousfanboys.com/2011/04/10-sci...be-movies/

What do you think?
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
Both of those articles are 5 years old - Shannara already is a series - so is Outlander, and Ender's Game was already filmed as a movie. I've always thought
Amber would make a great movie series or mini-series - Belgariad was sort of heavy-handed slow going, and I fear people would spot all of the ...errr... influences
from earlier authors. I've never read Foundation or Ringworld, but if they can do Childhood's End, they can do anything. Wink I'm not familiar with the others -
apart from Dragonlance, and the D&D movies continue, but have never been a big money-maker.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
The Dungeons and Dragons movies have been terrible. I wish they had done better by them.

I would not want to see anyone do the Amber books because I doubt anyone would do them the way I would want to see them adapted.

Asimov's Foundation books would make a great movie franchise but I suspect their themes are already outdated.
Are the themes outdated? Empires are transitory. Today's big-data mining seems to be a precursor for Seldon's mathematics. Asimov's high-tech gadgets are still futuristic. Perhaps nobody believes in ESP much anymore, but I don't see that as a big obstacle.
Asimov's themes have to compete with super heroes and dinosaurs. I'm not sure that mere space empires would compete well with that. But the thing about space empires, in my opinion, is that no one has really done them well. The bar is very low. About the only really successful space empire has been the Star Wars galaxy, and the Galactic Empire was not the centerpiece of the story, which (to George Lucas) was a family drama.

To do Asimov right you would have to find a director and screenwriter who grok the whole "this is about the rise, fall, and replacement of a massive galactic empire" and that individual personalities don't matter.

Cinematic story-telling still focuses on the human character.
Michael Wrote:To do Asimov right you would have to find a director and screenwriter who grok the whole "this is about the rise, fall, and replacement of a massive galactic empire" and that individual personalities don't matter.

Yep, I should think that might lend itself better to the format of a miniseries, like the cerebral Childhood's End last year.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
It's been a while since I read the trilogy, but I vaguely recall some secret organization whose sole purpose was to fix deviations from the plan caused by individuals (mutants). The final book seemed to be mostly about individual personalities. So, I think it could be dressed up as a character driven drama.
There was the Galactic Empire, which employed Psychohistorian Hari Seldon in some capacity as a sort of advisor to the emperor. Seldon pioneered the mathematical discipline of Psychohistory, which had the ability to predict trends in massive social data.

Seldon predicted that the empire would crumble within a few generations. He proposed the creation of a Foundation whose purpose would be to preserve all human knowledge and shorten the dark chaos between galactic empires from 30,000 years to 1,000 years.

However, the Foundation evolved into a new government that began attracting fragments of the former empire to itself.

When the Mule (a mutant with mind-controlling abilities) came to power he derailed Seldon's plan, which is when the secretive Second Foundation began tweaking history to get back onto Seldon's schedule.

But it all kind of went downhill from there.
I remember loving the books when I read them as an undergrad (in the early 80's). I re-read them about 10 years ago, and found them much less enjoyable (wooden prose, and lousy characters). However, I still enjoyed the scientific parts of the books.

Hmm, maybe that isn't a good sign for making a movie out of it.
Well, if they can make a movie out an elevator pitch I am sure they can make a movie out of a 1950s' science fiction novel or two. It's not like they would try to be faithful to every detail (although some of the superhero movies do a pretty good job).

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Star gating books, movies, and authors Michael 3 178 May 17th, 2022, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Books about The Apocalypse badlands 1 192 February 23rd, 2022, 10:09 PM
  What fantasy books or science fiction book do you want to see on film? badlands 11 1,447 December 26th, 2020, 09:36 PM
Last Post: Morthoron
  Stephen King books badlands 10 1,411 November 8th, 2020, 10:56 PM
Last Post: namesarehard
  Any good horror books you read lately badlands 0 624 August 13th, 2020, 12:54 AM
Last Post: badlands
  Your favorite Halloween Fantasy and Science Fiction books that badlands 0 979 August 22nd, 2019, 03:31 PM
Last Post: badlands
  If there were more movies based on the Narnia series. badlands 3 846 August 7th, 2019, 09:54 AM
  Two Invisible man books? badlands 6 770 March 6th, 2019, 03:04 PM
  The EverWorld Series by K.A Applegate badlands 1 569 September 9th, 2018, 07:51 PM
  Symphony of ages series by Elizabeth Haydon badlands 1 510 July 20th, 2018, 12:18 PM