A fourth "Sword" book.
Did you know there was a fourth book in the "Sword" series?

Well there is ~ and I have it! Cool

It's called "Trouble in Mayapan" and it is the further exploits of Lorens van Norreys, searching for emeralds in the South American rain forest.

On February 17, 2016 I will be posting it on Andre-Norton-Books.com

Are you excited yet? :balloons: :hellohands: :trio: :party:
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Andre Norton's website - Andre-Norton-Books.com
Wow. A copy was saved. I thought that Andre threw it out when she couldn't get a publisher.

From the single page that I read, it should be lots of fun.
Irene
Yea - It is amazing what I have managed to get people to hand over in the past decade. Maybe the next decade will be even more fruitful.
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Sweet! I read the first three within the last couple of years and really enjoyed them. The writing style was different from most of her later stuff, but still very good.
In the Starlog interview, she talked about all the stuff that she had tossed before leaving Cleveland for Florida and she included the fourth swords book which she later told me that the title was going to be "The Sword Goes South" and that she still had a little over 1/2 of the manuscript. I hope that she was mistaken. How much do you have, Jay? Later Kind Folks--Paul
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
Paul,
The Starlog interview went like this

Quote:STARLOG: Do you have any advice to offer aspiring authors?
NORTON: I would advise them to read as widely as they can, in every subject possible, because that’s where one gets material for stories. The most unlikely sources can spark ideas. Also, I would advise them to never throw anything away, no matter how discouraged they get.
STARLOG: “Never throw anything away!” Why not?
NORTON: Because, during the period when I thought I wouldn‘t be able to find markets for some of my work, I discarded several manuscripts when I moved from Cleveland to Florida. l wish I had them buck now, but they’re gone.
STARLOG: Book manuscripts, you mean?
NORTON: Yes, I wrote a fourth Sword book, and a sequel to Operation Time Search, and two sequels to The Prince Commands. I also did a book on Victorian Women Writers.
STARLOG: That’s realty too bad, that those books have been lost.
NORTON: Yes, but it taught me a valuable lesson, which is that you can never predict what’s going to happen in publishing.

Being as I have the fourth Sword book, I have already posted the Victorian Women Writers as "The Scribbling Women" and I know where the sequel to "Operation Time Search" is - I would say that Andre only thought she discarded said manuscripts.

As for the Fourth Swords Book: The title page, the table of contents page, and most of the body pages have the words "Trouble in Mayapan" clearly typed on them. I would say the title is not "The Sword Goes South". Thanks to Victor, Irene and Sue I now have all the pages needed to make a complete story. I was given old copies of what I am told (by all involved) are 60 year old onion paper which has now become far to brittle to handle. (I have no idea how it got separated or when.) I have completed the transcribing of the copies and I am now in the process of proofing. I will post the entire story on February 17th in honor of Andre's birthday.

I also have her last 2 personal diaries - the transcribing of them is done but I have not begun to proof it. Still trying to decide when to post.
Never have I been happier to find out that I was misinformed. I would absolutely love to see all of those "lost manuscripts" show up. Never can get enough Andre Norton. Later Kind Folks--Paul
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
Funny ~ I do not recall making any jokes!
Irene adjusts her sarcasm meter. OK. I still pulled the last line in case it was not a joke.

I suppose that as I continue to go through my stuff, things like a single sheet of paper (similar to what used to be in kid's coloring books) will start to re-appear.

I know that as I was looking through my Anne McCaffrey stuff a photocopy of a novella was stacked. This is something I collected back in 1992, when I sifted through the boxes at Syracuse University Library. I do have a full listing of what was in those boxes.... Like the dozen letters from Enid Cushing.

AND my search for those tiny "Cat" books turned up the three disks of photos from the High Hallack Library opening. I thought that Mark Karpinski had been the photographer.
Jay - did you want copies of the photos from the Auction as the library was being closed? I thought that you had all of those - but from your other comments - maybe not.

I also have photos from the tour that Andre made with (Scarborough?) some others. I thought that that had previously been scanned & sent to you. ?
Irene
Irene,

The disc you sent had auction pictures on it. But only you know what else you have. If they were taken by Mark then he had two batches because they were different then what he gave me.

The way we worked things out was that as he found stuff he just sent it. Leaving it to me to figure out what were duplicates. Being as I remember images better than words this is fine with me. It's like playing a match game.

So general rule ~ If you can't remember if you sent it, send it.

Thanks for your help.
I don't recall seeing the Xignals interview titled "Reflections of a Grand Master" on your website. Do you need a copy? It came back from that big pile of "Lost Things" (ala George Carlin :bgSmile this past weekend. Later Kind folks--Paul
Paul,
That is one of many that I would love to add to the site.
I went to Kinko's and copied it. It is in the mail. Later Kind Folks--Paul :bg:
For Title:

Quote:As for the Fourth Swords Book: The title page, the table of contents page, and most of the body pages have the words "Trouble in Mayapan" clearly typed on them. I would say the title is not "The Sword Goes South".

In the long before days. Authors had control of neither cover nor title.

Even in the present, authors often have working titles, and then real titles, and then published titles.
So Sharon Lee & Steve Miller have worked on "third of five" and "the book formerly known as George" and things similar.
Sharon McCrumb, in BIMBOS OF THE DEATH STAR, has an author deeply ashamed of both the title of his book, and the cover.

As I saw from the items at Syracuse U. Ms Norton worked, handwritten first draft on craft paper (like the single sheet of the 4th sword book that is in my collection). First typed draft was also on this high acidic craft paper, with numbering by chapter. Second typed draft was on onion skin. My assumption is that someone else typed this. I believe that there is a final typed copy that was numbered from page 1 through the end. Lastly there was the blue pages, which were the last review copy as printed up by the publisher (remember there wasn't scanning in those days). The difference versions sometimes have different titles. I always thought that the fourth book was titled THE MEXICAN SWORD, in keeping with the other titles.

Now, I know that artists and publishers used to just give away originals of cover art. Yes GIVE AWAY, rather than just trashing.

My guess is that Andre Norton discarded the 4th sword book, but perhaps not all of the many copies.

So the hope is that the books that didn't get published, didn't end up in trash heaps, but got sent to some deserving library. Now we just need to figure out where.

The hope is that Andre Norton items will be found by "us fans" and put where we all can read them.

[PS did Michael Gilbert have a copy of Andre's second novel with him?]
Irene
Paul,

Thanks for the interview. I personally think it is so good (although a little short) that a link to it is right on the top of the home page of my site.

Feel free to send any others you think should be on the site.

Jay

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Baen Book reminder Irene 4 450 May 24th, 2021, 09:31 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Another book read and reviewed Irene 6 1,354 October 26th, 2020, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Irene
  The Sword is Drawn - Discussion Marron4Gateau 8 853 May 8th, 2020, 10:27 AM
  Sword in Sheath - Discussion Marron4Gateau 2 485 May 6th, 2020, 08:53 AM
  _Zero Stone_ e-book on sale! Jerrie 0 340 March 8th, 2019, 10:48 AM
Last Post: Jerrie
  Andre Norton e-book deal! Jerrie 3 637 November 2nd, 2018, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Jerrie
  The history of book blocks Irene 3 643 September 6th, 2016, 11:21 PM
  Andre Reading Club Redux --Sword In Sheath (aka. Island of The Lost) Paul Goode 9 683 February 10th, 2016, 09:25 AM
  Andre Reading Club Redux--The Sword is Drawn Paul Goode 0 431 February 3rd, 2016, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Paul Goode
  Book editions question Taliesin 6 688 November 30th, 2015, 09:13 AM