Book editions question
I have some questions about hardcover editions of Silver May Tarnish and Warding of the Witch World.

Jay's website and ISFDB identify a regular edition and a SFBC edition for each book as follows:
Silver May Tarnish, ISBN 0765306379 (Tor), $24.95; SFBC #1197759, $12.99
Warding of the Witch World, ISBN 044651991X, (Warner) $22.95; SFBC #14378, $10.98

So my question is this: My copy of Silver May Tarnish has both the correct ISBN and the correct SFBC number on it, and no price. The same is true of my copy of Warding of the Witch World. How do I know which edition I actually have?

Mike
Taliesin, I could not find my hardcover edition of Warding of the WW, but found Silver May Tarnish, and it has a price on the front flap of the DJ. As a general rule (although not always) a SFBC edition is smaller than the regular edition, has no price on the front flap of the DJ, and has the specific markings on a certain page for the BC edition. The distinction may be difficult if the DJ has the area of the price clipped off (price clipped), but usually the size and quality of the boards is also a telling feature. I suspect you have both editions as SFBC editions if there is no price on a totally intact front flap of the DJ. Or if there are prices on both editions, the $20+ prices are for the regular editions.

There are several books where the BC editions are the true first hardcover editions, I think (if I am not mistaken) that Star Wars has the first hardcover as a BC edition, and the true first edition is the paperback. One of Andre's is the same, and I suspect several more, just don't remember at this time.
If no price on inside front flap of DJ and there are #s on the rear of the DJ in bottom right corner (within a white area) they are most definitely SFBC editions
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Andre Norton's website - andre-norton.com
Thanks, Catsrule and Jay. I suspected as much; I figured with no price on an intact dust jacket, along with the SFBC number made them SFBC books, but wanted to check.
If you need complete information, other than the comments for Catsrule and Jay, and can wait for another day, I will be home with my book notes, and can confirm.

There is one Andre Norton book, where the SFBC book is the first hard cover edition, but not the titles you have listed. [?BREED TO COME?].
The more 21st century a book is, the less likely that there are any differences between the (say) TOR and SFBC bindings. The dust jackets need to have the dollar amount to tell the difference, AND, I have an Anne McCaffrey SFBC book that is identical to the original (does not have a Dust Jacket).
Irene
Quote:If you need complete information, other than the comments for Catsrule and Jay,

Because we couldn't possibly know what we are talking about!
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Andre Norton's website - andre-norton.com
I was not trying to be rude. I just didn't have my memory with me. I just didn't know if you had complete information.

As it is, the Generic "rule of thumb" for Science Fiction Book Club, is all I would have. I haven't been keeping up with 21st century SFBC color of boards.

SILVER MAY TARNISH with Lyn Mcconchie
2005, Dec, TOR, Boards $24.95 ISBN 0-765-30637-9 (cover Dos Santos)

THE WARDING OF WITCH WORLD
1996, Oct, Warner/Aspect, ISBN 0-446-51991-X, LC 96-7266 (cover Kevin Johnson) $22.95, 560pp Orange paper boards, blue paper shelf back “First printing” “10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1”, “1096” on front flap, ISBN on rear flap
1996, Dec, SFBC #14378 (Cover Kevin Johnson) 560pp
Irene

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Baen Book reminder Irene 4 773 May 24th, 2021, 09:31 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Another book read and reviewed Irene 6 1,636 October 26th, 2020, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Irene
  Preference Question Lots-A-Watts 5 1,408 August 16th, 2019, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts
  Forerunners question Taliesin 22 1,867 June 3rd, 2019, 12:26 AM
  _Zero Stone_ e-book on sale! Jerrie 0 424 March 8th, 2019, 10:48 AM
Last Post: Jerrie
  Andre Norton e-book deal! Jerrie 3 785 November 2nd, 2018, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Jerrie
  A question of value Paul Goode 1 561 January 22nd, 2018, 02:07 PM
  A question from the peanut gallery. Lots-A-Watts 3 693 November 9th, 2017, 01:21 PM
  A Monster's Lagacy question. Lots-A-Watts 8 1,036 October 23rd, 2017, 02:33 PM
  Forum question Taliesin 7 990 June 7th, 2017, 04:07 PM