NBC-Universal is serious about a Xena reboot ... or are they?
This is in all the legit publications, including the Hollywood Reporter, and presumably has come about as a result of Lucy's opening her mouth once again at Comic-Con, but for a change going viral.

Quote: Producers NBC and NBC Universal International are currently searching for a writer to board the reboot, which hails from original executive producers Rob Tapert and Sam Raimi.

Twenty years after it first premiered as a Hercules spinoff, Xena: Warrior Princess could be returning to television.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that NBC and NBC Universal International are prepping a reboot of the beloved Lucy Lawless action-adventure drama.
The drama is in the extremely early development stages and a search for a writer is currently underway. Original executive producers Rob Tapert
and Sam Raimi are also involved in the project, which is considered to be a "modern reboot." It's unclear what, if any, role original star Lawless would
have, though sources tell THR that insiders would like the original star to have both a role on screen and behind the scenes. [COLOR="#0000FF"]The drama is eyed for
2016[/COLOR]
. It's too early to know if Xena 2.0 would be a limited 13-episode run similar to Fox's revived 24 or a more standard full-season order.
Insiders say the hope is for the new Xena to be an ongoing (read renewable) series.

Sources say the new Xena would have to have the charisma and charm of Lawless and the smarts of The Hunger Games' Katniss as producers are said to be
looking for a sophisticated and smart superhero for a new generation.

The original series was produced by Studios USA and international producers Universal Worldwide Television and was distributed by Universal Television. Xena ran in
syndication for six seasons from September 1995-June 2001 and originally started as a spinoff from Hercules after producers realized how popular the Xena (Lawless) character
was and opted to launch a new series built around the Amazon warrior on a quest for redemption and her trusted companion Gabrielle (Renee O'Connor).

Xena was created by John Schulian and Tapert — Lawless' husband — and produced by Tapert, Sam Raimi and actor Bruce Campbell's Renaissance Pictures,
Studios USA and Universal Television, the latter of whom distributed the series in more than 108 countries around the globe. The drama was a cult favorite and ratings hit,
ranking in the top five syndicated programs during each of its six seasons.

An extension of the Xena franchise comes as Lawless recently signed on to co-star in Starz's Evil Dead sequel Ash vs. Evil Dead, reuniting her
with Xena — and Spartacus — alums Raimi and Tapert.

For her part, Lawless recently told HitFix at Comic-Con — where she was supporting Ash — that "they've got to bring [Xena] back."

"I've been pitching that show … because … there's a swell of interest still," she said. "I'm always being peppered with questions [about] when the
Xena movie is coming. Guys, I'm pitching my *** off to make it happen, whether it's with me or not. I think it'd be funny to have a reboot like
Ash vs. Evil Dead — like middle-aged Xena in a muumuu with a bad attitude and a smoking habit. … Bring [actor] Ted Raimi [who played Joxer]
in … [and maybe] Bruce Campbell."

"I don't know what the hold-up is; it's about who has got the rights," she added. "But that's a ****-poor excuse anymore. Find who has got the rights,
freakin' pay it. It's better to have 80 percent of something than 100 percent of nothing. Don't waste this opportunity; reinvigorate that franchise!" she said,
stressing the show's international appeal. It's an insane international character. They're fools not to bring it back. It's funny, it's sexy, it's action."

The actress also has been vocal about wanting to play the character again — despite the fact that Xena (spoiler alert) died in the series finale.

For NBC, a Xena reboot could give the network a perfect companion for fellow genre player Grimm on Fridays. The network in recent years has attempted to
launch several shows on Fridays at 9 p.m. after Grimm — Constantine, Crossbones, Dracula *— none of which have made it to a second season.

Revisiting Xena comes as reboots continue to be in high demand as broadcast and cable networks alike look to proven commodities (and fan bases) to cut
through the clutter in an increasingly competitive scripted landscape. Key to their success is having the original producers involved. For its part, NBC is also
readying a Coach follow-up with star Craig T. Nelson. Fox, meanwhile, is bringing The X-Files back in January and has plans to produce another run of Prison
Break after successfully reviving 24 on top of its film-to-TV take on Minority Report. Over at CBS, the network will launch a TV remake of Limitless with Bradley
Cooper attached and will bow its Rush Hour adaptation come midseason.

Read the rest here.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
I agree that it's worth trying. If not on NBC itself, then on SyFy or one of NBC/Universal/Comcast's other channels. And they can bring back Cleopatra 2525 while they're at it, too!
Well, now Lucy herself seems to have shot this down as just a rumor:

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/20...ed-to-nbc/
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Quote:Sources tell THR that the reboot will follow a new, modern Xena, with the lead actress needing to have the charisma and charm of original star
Lucy Lawless and the smarts of The Hunger Games' Katniss as producers are said to be looking for a sophisticated and smart superhero for a new
generation. The potential series is being eyed for 2016.
Ah, well, this is too bad. I can see why NBC would want to take the name and just use it as a marketing tool for something that really has nothing to do with Xena, but it's disappointing that Sam and Rob with go along with it. Why is this being set up at Ghost House? I guess it doesn't matter, it just seems odd.

Quote:Revisiting Xena comes as reboots continue to be in high demand as broadcast and cable networks alike look to proven commodities (and fan bases)
to cut through the clutter in an increasingly competitive scripted landscape. Key to their success is having the original producers involved. Fox is
bringing The X-Files back in January...
The difference here, at least with the X-Files and Prison Break, is that they're not reboots-they feature the original stars and follow the original continuity.
Boomstick Wrote:Ah, well, this is too bad. I can see why NBC would want to take the name and just use it as a marketing tool for something that really has
nothing to do with Xena, but it's disappointing that Sam and Rob with go along with it.

Well, in theory it could be exactly the same - or for all intents and purposes the same, like the Hawaii 5-0 reboot, which has different actors and is set in the present... but is
still basically the same show, i.e. characters named McGarrett, Danno, Chin Ho and Kono on the police force in Hawaii. Granted they say "new, modern Xena,
with the lead actress needing to have ... the smarts of The Hunger Games' Katniss ..... a sophisticated and smart superhero for a new
generation" - but I think that's basically marketing-speak written by a PR person for a press release, who was told "make it sound new." :laugh: The original Xena could be described
the same way, c. 1995. :bg:

Quote:Why is this being set up at Ghost House? I guess it doesn't matter, it just seems odd.

Well, Ghost House vs. Ren Pics is like Budwesier vs. Michelob - it's basically the same thing. Probably just for legal reasons - Ren Pics is doing Ash vs. Evil Dead for Starz,
with Bruce as a producing partner even though he left Ren Pics. Ghost House probably has some producing gig with NBC-Uni for films already, plus I think there are other partners in
Ghost House - there was some German company with 50% right?
august Wrote:Well, in theory it could be exactly the same - or for all intents and purposes the same, like the Hawaii 5-0 reboot, which has different actors and is set in the present... but is
still basically the same show, i.e. characters named McGarrett, Danno, Chin Ho and Kono on the police force in Hawaii. Granted they say "new, modern Xena,
with the lead actress needing to have ... the smarts of The Hunger Games' Katniss ..... a sophisticated and smart superhero for a new
generation" - but I think that's basically marketing-speak written by a PR person for a press release, who was told "make it sound new." :laugh: The original Xena could be described
the same way, c. 1995. :bg:
Possibly, but I took it to mean a contemporary setting, rather than the mythological/historical one in the original show.

Quote:Well, Ghost House vs. Ren Pics is like Budwesier vs. Michelob - it's basically the same thing. Probably just for legal reasons - Ren Pics is doing Ash vs. Evil Dead for Starz,
with Bruce as a producing partner even though he left Ren Pics. Ghost House probably has some producing gig with NBC-Uni for films already, plus I think there are other partners in
Ghost House - there was some German company with 50% right?
Possibly. I haven't followed them much in recent years, just because I'm not interested in modern horror movies as much.
Boomstick Wrote:Possibly, but I took it to mean a contemporary setting, rather than the mythological/historical one in the original show.

OH! Got ya. Hmm... "new modern Xena" in the sense of modern-day. Huh Hm. Surely that's not what they meant - my guess is just new and modern in the sense of not being familiar to an audience of 10-20 year-olds
who weren't born when the show first debuted. And probably modern in the sense of finding a way to reform beyond being overwhelmed by the magical goodness of sex with Hercules. :laugh: I seriously doubt any of
the NBC folks ever actually watched - or at least paid attention to - the original series, so they probably think they'd need to "modernize" the character by adding comedy, metaphors for contemporary issues, and a hip, modern, self-awarenessand tongue-in-cheek style ... not knowing that this was what made the show so popular to begin with! :crazy: :jester: :bounce:
august Wrote:...so they probably think they'd need to "modernize" the character by adding comedy, metaphors for contemporary issues, and a hip, modern, self-awarenessand tongue-in-cheek style ... not knowing that this was what made the show so popular to begin with! :crazy: :jester: :bounce:

I hope that's the case. It won't be exactly the same, I'm sure, but any radical departures from the source material, and I have to wonder why bother at all?
AND.................the first (that I've seen anyway) interview with Javi!

Excerpts:

Quote:

"Xena: Warrior Princess" was full of slapstick and suffering, skimpy armor and sly subtext. It was the kind of show where the heroines returned from the
dead multiple times -- and now they're being revived again for modern TV.

It's now known that Lawless is not part of the reboot, though the show's original executive producers, Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert (Lawless' husband), are
attached to the new production. Without the chemistry between the two original leads, what can we hope for from the reboot? A lot, it sounds like.

"I watched the original 'Xena' as well as 'Hercules' during their initial run," Grillo-Marxuach told CNET's Crave blog. "Remember that was kind of a golden age
for first-run syndication sci-fi at a time when the networks had precious little to offer us true believers. All of which is a long way of saying that I am VERY
excited, both to be working with the producers of the original, as well as to be working on material that spoke to me from a time in television history that I
remember very fondly."

Fans are often concerned that a reboot will change a beloved series beyond recognition. Even though Grillo-Marxuach couldn't reveal any juicy details yet,
he did suggest one major change.

"Let me give you an itty-bitty peek at the store by telling you a few words you won't be hearing from me: Grim. Gritty. Dire. Depressing," he said.
"What I want to do is to make something that is both fresh and new but that is also respectful and evocative of that feeling of fun and adventure that
was so perfect in the original. I believe I heard it referred to somewhere as 'the power, the passion, the danger.'"

That phrase from the original show's intro may strike a promising chord for nostalgic viewers.

The strong bond between Xena and Gabrielle also made Grillo-Marxuach a fan of the original series, he said.

"These two characters were super-heroic women who appealed to me as a fan of sci-fi, fantasy and horror, as a fan of
the sword-and-sandal genre, and as a fan of characters whose lives and struggles I found inspiring," Grillo-Marxuach said. "There
were a lot of action-adventure shows in first-run syndication in the mid-'90s, but the ones that endure are the ones whose characters truly spoke to the audience."

Intriguingly, he added, "If we don't get that central relationship right, and evolve it to where it can go in our modern televisual landscape,
then we are sunk. And I don't want to be sunk."

The proposed "Xena" reboot is expected to debut in 2016 :eek: :hellohands: :party:.
Well, he talks the talk...but that's the easy part. :bg: Seriously, though, it's nice to see that he's a fan, and that he's taken dark and gritty off the table. Sill, I'm not convinced anyone would produce a show that was even remotely like the original at this time. Especially if it's going to air on NBC itself, and not SyFy. In any case, we won't have to wait too long to start seeing something, if they want to debut it next year.
Javi confirms it's set in ancient Greece. :bg: :clap:
Sounding better all the time! :bg:
This is great news for those who like the show.
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
More from Javi here - basic confirmation of what everyone knows anyway,
i.e. it's a reboot not a continuation, and an attempt to recapture the feel of the original series (just with a network budget we assume.) Excerpts:

Quote:Q: The word is that Lucy Lawless won’t be returning, but will anyone from the old show coming back (either in the same roles or in cameos)?

A: It’s way too early for that. Our first order of business is to create something that will be undeniable - to both the existing fans and, hopefully, a
new audience. Down the line, in success, if there is a way of bringing back members of the classic cast with both a legitimate narrative intention,
and respect to both the extant series and the new, who am I to say no?

Q. Will this be a true reboot, starting over from the beginning, or just new stories set in more or less the same continuity as the old show?

This will be a true reboot - but because it is produced by Rob Tapert and Sam Raimi, who stewarded the original - not one as radical as some of the
fans fear. At some point someone used the word “modern” to describe the sensibility, and some of the fans misunderstood that as saying that we
were putting Xena in the present-day: nothing could be further from the truth. To us this is an opportunity to make a truly female-driven,
sword-and-sandal, period epic set in Bronze-age Greece - and to build on the success of the classic, original series to launch an event series
we hope can return year after year… not unlike Doctor Who.

Q: What would you say is the enduring appeal of Xena? Why does the character still captivate?

A: I would be downright goatish to not acknowledge that Lucy Lawless and Renee O'Connor are pivotal to the enduring
appeal of the characters. As a fan of the original series, my love and respect for their work knows no bounds… but I would also love
it if the net result of this production is to make them to Xena what Sean Connery is to James Bond, or William Shatner is to James T. Kirk -
or, more aptly, Lynda Carter is to Diana Prince. Most importantly, I believe that the physical and emotional iconography of the characters,
the armor, the Chakram, the fights and battles, and most importantly, the enduring bond of friendship and love between Xena and Gabrielle
as polar opposites - warrior and bard - have endured because they communicate a message of hope and possibility to a large and diverse
audience. Xena: Warrior Princess is a heroic tale about the search for redemption: this is archetypal material.

Q: Do you have any sort of start date/timetable yet?

A: The network has commissioned a pilot script based on a season-long arc. We are only now beginning to put that pilot script
together and the network will decide our future based on that - so we are a bit of a ways away from an air date!
If someone else is playing Xena, I wouldn't want to bring back other actors in their previous roles. That would be weird.
And will Hercules be in it? If so, how will they handle that character since he apparently won't have his own show. Or might they leave open the option for a reverse spin-off? I think that would be a first.
Well, no one knows yet, as the pilot hasn't been written yet. So even if he's in the pilot script, the character might then get scrapped in one of many rewrites.

Technically, if they reboot the series, not the character, then it begins post-Hercules, and you wouldn't need him.

And as for the other characters, as we've discussed before, there's no reason not to do what lots of Hollywood films do and have the original actors play different and age-appropriate roles. i.e.
Renee O'Connor could be an Amazon Queen, Lucy could be Hera or Alti, etc. Obviously people like Bruce Campbell could simply be an older thief who might or might not be named Autolycus, and
Ted Raimi could be an older bumbling warrior (like the character was originally written, more of a Don Quixote type.) Or they could be different characters entirely.
Extensive updates, direct from Javi at his blog. Not really anything new, but he explains in detail that he is doing
a reboot of the original series, faithful to its spirit, but with new actors, basically because that's what NBC, Rob and Sam, et al. hired him to do. But it's still in the
creative process, meaning that first he has to write it, then NBC et al. have to approve it. Thus far he's as far as a story/series outline.

There's also an Io9 interview here, and extracts from an unpublished interview that got bumped for a Lemmy tribute (he
doesn't say, but presumably Entertainment Weekly) here.
Someone asked me on Facebook what I thought of the new revelation coming out about X:WP's reboot. To be honest, I don't have time to get involved with it so I doubt I'll have many reactions in the near term.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does anyone know the words to the Xena burial song? xenagabby888 25 28,525 October 6th, 2021, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Videos: Lucy Lawless interviews about Xena: Warrior Princess Michael 0 154 April 7th, 2021, 04:35 PM
Big Grin Happy 25th Anniversary Xena ! august 4 546 November 12th, 2020, 09:05 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Xena faces off against Callisto...behind the bar! august 9 1,168 November 20th, 2018, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Xena stars on the shows 20th anniversary Boomstick 1 568 September 4th, 2018, 10:46 AM
Last Post: august
  22 years of Xena Warrior Princess :O august 6 703 September 18th, 2017, 10:33 AM
  Little Xena + Gabby on Halloween! august 3 2,043 October 29th, 2016, 12:57 PM
  Xena opening credits - Lego style! august 4 577 October 9th, 2016, 04:57 PM
  Shatner to produce a documentary about Xena fans? august 3 763 October 23rd, 2012, 01:02 AM
  17th annual (and final?) Xena convention - Jan. 27-29, 2012 august 6 1,911 November 2nd, 2011, 03:00 AM