NBC-Universal is serious about a Xena reboot ... or are they?
So are we looking at 2017 if this gets green-lit? I love Xena, of course, so I'm hesitant, but it would be so beyond cool if the Xena character becomes iconic on the levels of Who or Bond. She's already iconic in her own right, of course.

Too bad it won't be syndicated, since I don't think they do that anymore. Assuming it makes it to air.

So... Jennifer Lawrence for the new Xena? :p
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory
haha - she's a little big for network tv right now. Wink
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Syndication doesn't work very well, especially if the production company is depending on the US market to pay up-front costs. Fans of Legend of the Seeker learned the hard way what happens when 1/3 of the US syndication market drops a show.

My guess is that if it doesn't make it into a broadcast or cable slot then the show will be promoted on the Internet. Netflix might pick it up if NBC International cannot find something more traditional for it.
If it airs on the NBC, I doubt it'll last more than a season, if that long. As more info is released, it looks more and more predictible. Xena and Gabrielle will now officially be lovers. Ok, not really a problem, but now THAT'S what the show will be about. Regardless of how well it's written and produced, it'll just end up beingfodder for the online culture wars, instead of being a fun tv show.
Boomstick Wrote:If it airs on the NBC, I doubt it'll last more than a season, if that long.

One possibility that Javi suggested would be that it's a limited-run series - i.e. conceivably just, say, 8 episodes (or 6, or 12) that they run in perhaps the summer. (Or some other time when many of the recurring SVU/Chicago/sitcom shows are on hiatus.)
Somewhat akin to the traditional idea of a mini-series. And if it goes over well, they can always do more.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
august Wrote:One possibility that Javi suggested would be that it's a limited-run series - i.e. conceivably just, say, 8 episodes (or 6, or 12) that they run in perhaps the summer.
I think either of those options would be smart. I feel like it would get lost in the mix during the September-May "normal" tv season. Especially on NBC,
I have even less interest in a limited-run series. If you're going to reboot the Warrior Princess then go all in. Don't make it "ABOUT" anything other than the characters and how they go from point A to point B in their lives.
Michael Wrote:If you're going to reboot the Warrior Princess then go all in. Don't make it "ABOUT" anything other than the characters and how they go from point A to point B in their lives.

That would appear to be what the show-runner says he's doing, right?
august Wrote:That would appear to be what the show-runner says he's doing, right?

It sounded like it. A limited run would feel like the network is hedging their bets in case the show sucks. That could effect audience expectations before it even airs.
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory
GamgeeFest Wrote:It sounded like it. A limited run would feel like the network is hedging their bets in case the show sucks. That could effect audience expectations before it even airs.
That's possible. On the other hand, a limited series doesn't require a big commitment from viewers, so you potentially have less of a ratings drop off after a few episodes air. Also a
smaller commitment for the actors, so they may be able to get bigger names. Who knows. Ultimately it's up to the tv execs, and they seem to be guessing as much as the fans
most of the time.
GamgeeFest Wrote:That could effect audience expectations before it even airs.

I'm not so sure - the audience they're surely looking for doesn't include people who read entertainment industry trade articles or know the difference between a full season series, a half-season, a mini-series,
a made-for-tv movie, or a limited run series. I think they're looking for 10-25 year olds who will just see an ad the week before sand say "Hey that looks cool!" Wink

However, Javi did say this:

Quote:this version of xena will not be a regular fall series, but more likely a limited “event” style series that will premiere outside of the fall season.

we will most likely have somewhere from eight to thirteen episodes and are planning to tell a serialized story.

See, when a show gets the green light even for a regular half or full season, they just film the first 8 weeks or so in time for a fall debut. Sometimes a show gets cancelled after only 2 or 3 episodes actually get aired. (That
ABC primetime version of David and Saul last month for example.) And they just take the loss with all the $$ spent on filing those first few episodes.

But if you plan in advance for a commitment of that many episodes, at least the writers can tell a full story, and if it gets the axe early on, at least the full story is available for the inevitable dvd release,
and sales overseas.

As for following the original story, this was one thing Javi posted:
Quote:of course it’s set in ancient greece!

of course there’s a chakram and a quarter staff!

of course xena is a former warlord on the road to redemption!

of course gabrielle starts as a naive young woman with an iron-forged moral compass and a desire to become a bard!

And that's basically the core of the original story right there. Doesn't sound like any change.
We'll see. You never know how it'll turn out. If nothing else, it's something to look forward to that isn't Marvel/DC Comics related. Smile
Well shoot.:ohno: :teary: :angry: Javi is out. "Creative differences." Details here.
Not too surprised, given that there hasn't been much news about it lately.
Sounds like the whole project is dead now, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Just as well, IMO. I don't trust that they would have produced anything that did justice to the original show. If they're going to bring it back, I'd rather see them do something
with the original cast.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does anyone know the words to the Xena burial song? xenagabby888 26 30,913 February 13th, 2022, 12:29 AM
Last Post: Tabbyhamm1979
  Videos: Lucy Lawless interviews about Xena: Warrior Princess Michael 0 420 April 7th, 2021, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Michael
Big Grin Happy 25th Anniversary Xena ! august 4 1,032 November 12th, 2020, 09:05 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Xena faces off against Callisto...behind the bar! august 9 1,509 November 20th, 2018, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Xena stars on the shows 20th anniversary Boomstick 1 755 September 4th, 2018, 10:46 AM
Last Post: august
  22 years of Xena Warrior Princess :O august 6 981 September 18th, 2017, 10:33 AM
  Little Xena + Gabby on Halloween! august 3 2,231 October 29th, 2016, 12:57 PM
  Xena opening credits - Lego style! august 4 816 October 9th, 2016, 04:57 PM
  Shatner to produce a documentary about Xena fans? august 3 943 October 23rd, 2012, 01:02 AM
Last Post: Michael
  17th annual (and final?) Xena convention - Jan. 27-29, 2012 august 6 2,100 November 2nd, 2011, 03:00 AM