Andre's writing contracts
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Andre Norton's website - andre-norton.com
I just read some of the contracts, and they are fascinating, mostly (as Jay said) by how little she was paid for works appreciated by so many. Clearly, one writes for the love of writing, and not to get rich!
Lots-A-Watts Wrote:Some people might object to the contracts being available, but if you are doing any kind of research into the history of Andre or literature in general, I think being able to see contracts from a whole lifetime of writing is a valuable tool. Good luck understanding some of them though.
It is indeed fascinating stuff. (As long as the estate has okayed this, I don't see any objection to it being made available.) Despite our devotion to her work, Ms Norton was clearly viewed as being "only" a mid-list author, and seems to have been paid accordingly.

It's also interesting to see the contracts for the various Beast Master adaptations, knowing as we do now that she was so appalled by them that she demanded her name be removed.
Quote:Originally posted by jmelsna
(As long as the estate has okayed this, I don't see any objection to it being made available.)

Not to worry - Every thing that I have posted on the website in the past three years, or that I post in the near future has been vetted and blessed by the Estate, including stuff donated by people not affiliated with the estate. Not that I need their permission for it is my site, however because it is in Andre's name I always notify them and have never been asked not to post something. In fact with all the big items that I have posted on the site the Estate has helped me obtain, usually by contacting the people that I'm trying to deal with and telling them that the Estate approves. Believe Me when I say "I will never post anything that puts Andre or her work in a negative light". That's one of the reasons I do not do book synopsis's or express my opinion on the site. If I do, I come out and say plainly that the statement is just my opinion, and not worth much. For I am just the compiler of information. (at least in my opinion ~ that is what I think :there: he-he)

On another note: How in the blazzes do you quote somebody and make it point to that person? Yes, yes ~ I know, I should be able to figure it out, but I can't.
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Lots-A-Watts Wrote:On another note: How in the blazzes do you quote somebody and make it point to that person? Yes, yes ~ I know, I should be able to figure it out, but I can't.

Just under the posting, is a "Reply With Quote" I had to delete everything in your text except the line I wanted to quote, but that seems to have worked..... Or I'll be able to tell as soon as I hit the "Post Quick Reply" key
Irene
Irene Wrote:Just under the posting, is a "Reply With Quote" I had to delete everything in your text except the line I wanted to quote, but that seems to have worked..... Or I'll be able to tell as soon as I hit the "Post Quick Reply" key

Thank you very much - I must be going blind in my old age -- For I never saw that before!
Well, that's only fair--lately, you've been putting up all *kinds* of things we've never seen before!

Thank you very much for all your efforts.

Smile

Jerrie
Well - Just to be a tease :wicked:

We are working right now on the biggest Surprise so far. It's taking a little longer than I expected, because Andre's hand writing is rather hard to read. Especially in her later years. But not to worry, I have people trained in reading really bad cursive working on it also. This will be the best addition yet. :kiss:

Your Welcome ~ Lotsawatts :crown:
Irene Wrote:Just under the posting, is a "Reply With Quote" I had to delete everything in your text except the line I wanted to quote, but that seems to have worked..... Or I'll be able to tell as soon as I hit the "Post Quick Reply" key
If you hit "Go Advanced" before you post, it takes you to a screen where you can "Preview Post" to see if it looks the way you want it to...

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Andre on "Jeopardy!" Jerrie 1 123 July 4th, 2022, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Irene
  Passing of Andre Norton, March 17, 2005 Irvkoch 49 31,411 July 2nd, 2022, 09:55 AM
  a vivid Andre Norton moment Jerrie 2 165 June 6th, 2022, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Andre Norton inspired Martha Wells Jerrie 3 812 May 15th, 2022, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts
  Good News for Andre Lovers. Lots-A-Watts 5 625 December 3rd, 2021, 09:15 PM
  Andre's burial site Tudorlady419 3 494 November 24th, 2021, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Tudorlady419
  HUGE Andre Norton sale - today only! Jerrie 3 651 March 28th, 2021, 09:06 PM
  ebay listing - 70 Andre Norton books for sale chris.hakenkamp@gmail.com 1 673 November 19th, 2020, 09:01 AM
  Andre's Reading Corner - Nobble Warrior Meets with a Ghost Lots-A-Watts 1 419 November 4th, 2020, 08:13 PM
  Andre's Reading Corner - Hob's Pot Lots-A-Watts 0 438 October 23rd, 2020, 11:42 AM