All-Time Greatest Underrated Moveys
Citizen Kane is said by some to be the best movey of all-time, but there is no such thing as one best movey, n I think it's overrated anyways. There are several best movies in each category or in each decade. These are my personal favourites, all 4-star films (out of 4 stars) (except maybe Blue Hawaii, which might be only 3 stars), that are grossly underrated.

Darby O'Gill and the Little People, '59
the Lost World, '60
Splendour in the Grass, '61
Blue Hawaii, '61
2 On a Guillotine, '62
Charade, '62
Bye, Bye, Birdy, '63
McKenna's Gold, '69
Island at the Top of the World, '74
Xanadu, '80
Sheena, '84

Splendour in the Grass got only 1 star from Halliwell but an Oscar for Wm. Inge n an Oscar nom. for Natalie Wood, so maybe it wasn't underrated, but it's lesser known anyways. Charade at least got 2 stars from Halliwell and an Oscar nom. for the superb theme song. Bye, Bye, Birdy at least got an Oscar nom. for Johnny Green, the musical director.

I love those grandiose old trailers that always went, "Never before in the history of motion pictures..." or something similar.

Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkyjGQsuWcc from YouTube
SF-Fandom not responsible for video content

SF-Fandom reserves the right to remove inappropriate video content from its discussions. YouTube may remove the video from its service without notification.

Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWDkdsZQq_c from YouTube

SF-Fandom reserves the right to remove inappropriate video content from its discussions. YouTube may remove the video from its service without notification.

Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hmJ8Js02kc from YouTube

Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t_mAyHZ9Is from YouTube

Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNcUv1q2JAs from YouTube

A friend of mine pointed me to a poll by movie critics (and it's well-known but I am drawing a blank) where they rated the top 100 movies of all time (based on the critics' lists). I had never heard of most of the movies and I was severely disappointed with the critics' choices.

A movie is good for you, bad for me, or bad for you and good for me. So how can it be the best or the worst?

And to be honest I have lost my passion for some of the movies I loved as a kid. For example, there was a time when I would change my schedule to watch "Planet of the Apes" starring Charlton Heston, but eventually it got to the point where I just wasn't interested in it any more. And it's still a well-made movie. I just don't love it like I used to.

There were some science fiction movies from the 1950s and 1960s that I loved but eventually I stopped watching them. Does that mean they were not as good as I originally thought? I don't think so.

I've never been a fan of ranking movies, although "The Phantom Menace" remains the absolute best of all six "Star Wars" films. IMHO
Yep, it's very hard to "rank" movies (or anything) without having personal
preference and taste in there. Possibly from a technical standpoint - when you factor in things like
literal plot structure, technical innovations, cinematography, and so forth - you can narrow down
some of the greatest of the greats, especially when you include influence on the art. I'm like you guys -
I admire Citizen Kane, but I'd watch a Star Trek rerun over it any day of the week.
But it's certainly one of the greatest in those criteria above.

It's also very hard to like anything as enthusiastically as you did when you were young. We've talked
about Darby O'Gill in a number of threads here over the years, and I too love that film. I just saw it on
TCM a few months ago, and it certainly holds up, and that pooka is still scary... although perhaps not
as much as it seemed to me at 7.

The cool thing with lists and rankings though is when you have no problem with the results, even if it's not
exactly what you would have chosen. The perfect example being when the AFI ranked the 100 greatest
comedies, with Some Like It Hot at number one. Which wouldn't have been my top choice, but
I can't quarrel with it either. A lot of those lists result from dozens of people ranking their personal
favorites, and then they tally the results, with the ones on everyone's list being the "best."

Entertainment Weekly did that with all the Trek and TNG episodes when Generations came out,
ranking them from best to worst. I'm pretty sure the TNG finale (was it called "All Good Things....?") was at the top,
which similarly wasn't my favorite, but surely would have been in my top ten, so all was good.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
I love top 100 lists for the very reason of arguing about the picks and order. Even the idea of underrated is up for debate. Is it a movie that gets poor reviews or makes little at the box office or some other criteria. Is there a difference between Underrated vs Cult Classic? I think Heathers, Tremors, Mallrats, Gattaca, Waterworld and the Illusionist are some of the best underrated movies.
It's so hard to come up with the best. There have been so many that I thought were awesome that they just fade into the crowd over the years. Movies that I hated were few and far between, so I can still easily remember my top pick of those: "The Emerald Forest".
K.S. Crooks Wrote:Is there a difference between Underrated vs Cult Classic?

Definitely. Rocky Horror, Evil Dead, Highlander, Reefer Madness, things like that are cult classics. If you do a midnight movie
showing of them, people will come buy tickets. Charlton Heston's Naked Jungle, or Cagney's Strawberry Blonde, or Cornel Wilde's
At Sword's Point, or Mitchum's Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison, or John Wayne's War Wagon or Chisum might be
underrated, to some, who think they are better films than the middling reviews or middling box office they originally got would imply. Films like that
generally don't acquire a following either at first, or in later years, but cult classics do. Smile
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
I think the list Michael was refering to might be the AFI's Greatest 100 Movies of All Time, which is in the Time Almanac 2001. Anyways, there are gorror films in it but also some of the best films like Casablanca, The Graduate, Gone With the Wind, Singing in the Rain, Space Odyssey, Maltese Falcon, Dr. Zhivago, North by Northwest, West Side Story, Rear Window, King Kong ('33), The Sound of Music (which is this year celebrating its 50th anniversary), The 3rd Man, Rebel Without a Cause, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Duck Soup, etc.

I think the reason they include the worst ones with the best ones is that critics tend to like gorror films but also because of the desensitization of the public and radicalization of society since the '70s more gorror films are made, and it might be as well because, as moveymaking is a business, it's the movies that are most promoted that are also the most critically acclaimed and the ones people go see more, so they're not necessarily the best ones. They're ranked, with Citizen Cane as no. 1, but they mix musicals with comedies and dramas and SF, so this is like saying the goaly is better than the forward or vice-versa. There are no James Bond films in the list but most of them are among the best and may be underrated. And any list of the Top 100 should include the Back to the Future trilogy, which is in my Top 30 or 40. I should also incluce In Search of the Castaways in my list as it is a personal favourite and I think underrated. There might be some subjectivity in it but there might be more with critics.

As for not liking them as much afterwards that Michael alluded to, for me this is mostly with TV, so, for instance, I thought Green Acres and Get Smart were the best comedies, but watching them again in recent years I'm not so impressed. Some of them I wasn't so impressed at the time but I'm more impressed now, like TZ and The Untouchables. ST: tOS is always just as impressive.
i agree with you with Darby o Gill and the little people and the island on the top of the world.
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
One of the reasons why "Get Smart" doesn't work so well for me any more is that a lot of its gags have become reality, although in some different form. The technology no longer looks cool. And the idea of secret spy agencies fighting evil organizations trying to take over the world has also become today's news with various national governments conducting much more sophisticated covert operations against groups like Al Qaeda and ISIS than you see on those old shows. It's amazing what can be done with an almost unlimited budget.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Time Travel Movies BloggerBunny_25 1 392 July 3rd, 2021, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Video: Trailer for "No Time to Die" Michael 0 447 December 3rd, 2019, 10:17 PM
  Which is best Comedy Movies to watch in free time? geekguy1829 1 942 September 17th, 2019, 12:18 AM
Last Post: badlands
  Which is the best Hollywood movies to watch in my free time? geeknerd360 2 1,019 September 5th, 2019, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Once Upon a Time in the West Boomstick 50 4,431 December 3rd, 2018, 10:26 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  that time I unexpectedly met Peter from the Narnia films august 3 442 April 9th, 2018, 04:34 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Video: Trailer for "The Greatest Showman" FilmGuy 0 297 June 29th, 2017, 11:31 AM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Why there isn't a cool time stopper movie?? 5thkind 5 853 January 11th, 2016, 07:02 AM
  Video: Flight From Shadow (WHEEL OF TIME fan film) FilmGuy 4 726 November 17th, 2015, 01:49 PM
  Video: "Beyond the Time Barrier" from 1960 FilmGuy 3 2,891 July 27th, 2014, 07:14 PM