Looking for andre's words in a book
Does anybody have this book
L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future: Volume XVIII by L. Ron Hubbard, Published by Galaxy Press, PB, 1-592-12052-0, $7.99, 462pg

I just want you to check some words in the beginning. Please help

I need the first and second sentence to the introduction by Andre Norton - I think I have the original manuscript for the intro and need to verify it.

Thanks - Lotsawatts - webmaster - Andre-Norton-Books.com
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Andre Norton's website - andre-norton.com
"Throughout many cultures worldwide, one of the signs of humanity itself is reading; indeed, it has been said that the state of a civilization can be judged by the literacy of its people. Reading and writing offer both individuals and nations the power to record information; to learn about environment and existence; to feed imagination; and to achieve fellowship with all humankind."
Thanks,

It appears what I have is a draft, for the first sentence is the same but the second is not. Any chance you could send me a copy of the whole introduction.

Your card and picture are on the way to you.

Jay
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
I've scanned the four pages in the book and sent you a copy by email. E-mail me if you need it done some other way.
Oh good. I think I know where my copy is. In the book case of Anthologies.
Irene
Well it turns out what I have is a draft.

to compare the two go here Non-Fiction Articles by Andre 1980 to 2005 and scroll down to 2002. Both articles are there in PDF form.
Wow, those are pretty different in style. It looks like the ideas in the draft made it into the final copy, but I wonder if the latter was actually written by Andre Norton.
The draft copy came out of a folder holding a bunch of other original manuscripts by Andre.

I was wondering the same thing when I read them - how much did Hubbard or his editor influence the final?
Perhaps she was mind-enslaved by the Kolder/Scientologists. :whip:

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Andre on "Jeopardy!" Jerrie 1 122 July 4th, 2022, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Irene
  Passing of Andre Norton, March 17, 2005 Irvkoch 49 31,407 July 2nd, 2022, 09:55 AM
  a vivid Andre Norton moment Jerrie 2 162 June 6th, 2022, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Andre Norton inspired Martha Wells Jerrie 3 811 May 15th, 2022, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts
  Good News for Andre Lovers. Lots-A-Watts 5 615 December 3rd, 2021, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts
  Andre's burial site Tudorlady419 3 492 November 24th, 2021, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Tudorlady419
  Baen Book reminder Irene 4 816 May 24th, 2021, 09:31 PM
Last Post: Michael
  HUGE Andre Norton sale - today only! Jerrie 3 650 March 28th, 2021, 09:06 PM
  ebay listing - 70 Andre Norton books for sale chris.hakenkamp@gmail.com 1 673 November 19th, 2020, 09:01 AM
  Andre's Reading Corner - Nobble Warrior Meets with a Ghost Lots-A-Watts 1 418 November 4th, 2020, 08:13 PM