Measles at Disneyland
What is your take on this?
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
The anti-vax effects are starting to be felt. It'll be a sad day to see polio victims again, but I guess that's what it will take to scare most people into vaccinating again.
Some of the victims were indeed innoculated, according to The Guardian. This outbreak may add fuel to the fire from both sides of the debate.
Writing about Science Fiction and Fantasy films.
http://www.sf-fandom.com/
The inoculations don't guarantee that one will not get infected later. They just reduce the odds, making it easier to keep outbreaks contained. Once the fraction of susceptible people goes up over some threshold, containment becomes almost impossible. You endanger more than just your own children when you refuse to inoculate them.

As I said above, the decision not to inoculate isn't made by reasoning, it's a gut reaction. You'll never convince someone who is against inoculations by reasoning with them. At some point, as diseases spread and the result becomes more apparent, the fear of the disease will overcome the fear of the vaccinations again.
Well, it continues to spread and I'm not sure all the new cases are from families that were against innoculation. It's hard to tell where this will end.

I never had measles and I don't remember if I was innoculated as a child. I had Rubella, though (German measles). I know I was never innoculated against the Mumps. My brother had the Mumps but I don't know why I wasn't exposed or innoculated. My family was NOT against vaccinations at all. In fact, my mother was a nurse and every flu season she lined us up and gave us shots (which in those days were PAINFUL). I've been innoculated against Smallpox and a few other diseases.

So I'm not sure what my risk factor is with the Measles. I'd hate to find out the hard way that I'm high risk.
Michael Wrote:Well, it continues to spread and I'm not sure all the new cases are from families that were against innoculation. It's hard to tell where this will end.

I never had measles and I don't remember if I was innoculated as a child. I had Rubella, though (German measles). I know I was never innoculated against the Mumps. My brother had the Mumps but I don't know why I wasn't exposed or innoculated. My family was NOT against vaccinations at all. In fact, my mother was a nurse and every flu season she lined us up and gave us shots (which in those days were PAINFUL). I've been innoculated against Smallpox and a few other diseases.

I wonder about those new cases myself. There is no information about how the people are getting it. There is a issue with privacy and all that. I wish I had been vaccinated with chicken pox so I won't get shingles.
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
badlands Wrote:I wish I had been vaccinated with chicken pox so I won't get shingles.

I and pretty well everyone I knew got chicken pox when we were kids (I'm 51 years old). I didn't know they have a vaccine for it now. Googling shows that it was developed in 1995, long after I caught it. I even had a case of shingles before then. Ouch! The best thing is to not let yourself get too run down like I did then.

I definitely remember the misery of chicken pox. It was like having hundreds of mosquito bites on your body all at once; one long battle with the urge to scratch until you bleed. I wonder why it took so long to develop a vaccine for it?

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kim Jong -Un and you at Disney world/ Disneyland badlands 2 454 June 28th, 2018, 04:36 PM
Last Post: badlands