Star Wars Episode VII Named "The Force Awakens"
This is not as good a title as "The Phantom Menace", which was meant to evoke memories of the old Saturday afternoon movie serials (a point lost on many film critics today). I don't believe George Lucas devised this title. He seems to have been preoccupied with opening a $300 million art museum (that some people are mocking). Lucas definitely achieves one goal with his art: he is never ignored.
Writing about Science Fiction and Fantasy films.
http://www.sf-fandom.com/
Good point, FilmGuy!

I like the name Phantom Menace too, but never could figure out exactly what it is referencing. Who is the 'phantom'- Palpatine? How is he a phantom?
I like the sub-title. Remember at the end of Return of the Jedi, Luke is the only known Jedi alive, Yoda tells him "When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be.", with Leia ready to be taught. there are no known Sith around, with both Vader and the Emperor dead. this means for all intensive purposes the Force is being unused or dormant. In the new movie the Force will AWAKEN in many new beings/characters.
I think the "phantom menace" in "The Phantom Menace" was the mysterious Dark Lord of the Sith, whom the audience knew to be Palpatine but whose identity was hidden from the Jedi.

K.S. Crooks, welcome to SF Fandom. And that's a very good point.
That was absolutely the title's significance - I recall the pr in interviews at the time. While the audience knew what was up, the Jedi had no clue as to this new menace, or how organized it was, and would become.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Oh, "phantom" And all this time I thought it was the Fandom Menace! as in disgusting the fans and send them running. :bg: Oh well,. Live and learn. Later kind Folks--Paul
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
"Star Wars: Episode I, The Phantom Menace" was absolutely the best of the first six movies. Hands down, inarguably so. The two travesties that followed are just impossible to watch.
To each his own. My favorite is the original STAR WARS in its original theatrical release ,without the tripe Lucas added to it. My second favorite was RETURN OF THE JEDI Third was THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. The rest of them can stay in a galaxy far, far, far, far, far, far. (ad infinitum) away. Thank God for Weird Al Yankovic whose song "The Saga Begins" tells the whole Eposode I story in four minutes, so I never have to watch it again. But as I said earlier, everybody has their on opinion. May the Force Be With You--Paul
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
I thought Phantom Menace was pretty decent as an infomercial promotion for a theme park and assorted merchandise. Clones actually did remind me of a decent 1930's sci-fi serial, just done on a bigger budget, and I rather enjoyed it. Revenge was likewise pretty decent, although I might have titled it Contractual Obligation Film Tying Most Recent Two Films to Original Trilogy. :laugh:
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Star Wars amusement park badlands 2 166 April 13th, 2022, 12:11 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Disney Star Wars/ Kiss rock band Halyx badlands 1 234 January 13th, 2022, 03:59 PM
  Star Wars cruiser badlands 1 247 December 29th, 2021, 03:25 PM
  'Star Wars' Not Opened From Steam! MagnusMoore 1 362 September 3rd, 2021, 02:01 PM
  Video: Fans remember seeing 'Star Wars' in 1977 Michael 3 519 August 29th, 2021, 03:21 PM
Last Post: rkomar
  Star Wars Books namesarehard 2 566 November 14th, 2020, 01:44 AM
  Star Wars video / computer games badlands 1 690 July 18th, 2020, 08:52 PM
  Video: Star Wars Like You Have Never Seen It Before Michael 0 521 July 9th, 2020, 08:55 PM
  Video: Happy Life Day, Star Wars Fans! Michael 0 719 December 26th, 2019, 02:00 AM
  Video: Trailer for "Star Wars 9" (Rey fights Kilo Ren) Michael 1 607 December 9th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Last Post: Irene