A Story that was ment to be released
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Andre Norton's website - andre-norton.com
I just ran a search on Google & Amazon. My supposition is that TWILIGHT LAND was proposed to be an anthology, that never got published.

Now - "Fanus" is way to close to "Janus" can you check the handwriting again?
Irene
See it with your own eyes.

Andre's entry can be seen here
http://andre-norton-books.com/index.php/...-of-titles

Click on "Short Stories" and go to page 3 - left hand side, 4th entry. "Fanus" "Twilight Land"

THEN go to
http://andre-norton-books.com/index.php/...shed-works
and look at entry # 18

Just Waiting on Catsrule1 to tell us what it is about. Confusedo:
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
sorry. the link is blocked on this computer.

PS: I haven't found my interview. I've been way to busy at home.
Irene
Sorry, it will take a while, but I will find it and give a report.
Fanus is a short story written and according to her notes on the top were for/from "FALL/WINTER '85, SS - REED ANTH."

It is a manuscript of 13 pages with corrections, with a second final draft of 22 pages typewritten. It starts with, "There was mist curled about the bottom of the dell..." It is the story of pointed eared, downy haired Fanus who was the guardian of Frost-Fair, his equine companion and friend (unicorn). It tells the story of the uprooting and destruction of the forest by those with axes, with no love of nature, and of the fleeing of the fair from the hunting dogs of those who destroy all in their way. He faced those hounds and their masters who are elf-like but coarse of face, and he was captured by them. Fanus and Frost-Fire were the last of their respective kind in the forest, as all others had fled before. He is saved by Ealgon, one of the great ones from before, who carries him off to the "Twilight Kingdom" to be safe with Frost-Fire, where they can be with all of the greater "beasts", to be saved from those who only destroy.

All in all, a nice read, with many of her usual themes. Maybe the above can be reviewed by one more knowledgable than I about her short stories, to see if it has been published before with a different title?
Thanks - that's just what I wanted to know.
As one who is very familiar with Andre's short stories, it does not ring any bells. I'm thinking she turned it in to the publisher for an Anthology that never got released. To bad - we may never know that story, but maybe someday we might get to read "Fanus".

Irene - Did you ever look for that interview? <Irene> Yup and it isn't at the Computer. need to try in the secret drawer under the book case.
:hellohands: Thanks - catsrule1 :trio:

After reading it :wicked: - I can positively tell you that it has never been published. :party: And so now -- we work on getting it released to the world. :love:

I can also say that it was meant for the Young Adult market but all-in-all a good story.

Maybe now we can find out about that interview.
On the side issue.... I went to my secret drawer of stuff last night. That means I had to sit on the floor, and strunch over, with bad lighting etc.

I found a bunch of stuff, including the 1992 interview.

Jay - contact me via email, with address for sending. a) I seem to have two copies of Standard Video Tape - so if you have a drive, I can just post one. b) I only have one DVD copy. So if you need that I will need to make a copy. [I wonder if I can just copy on my home computer & if the PC wouldn't flake out while I am doing it.] Please remember I don't go to my home email but once a week.

Not to make this appear to be a treasure chest - But it is so hard to get to that I forgot what-all I had put in there. I found that is where I put my WITCH WORLD audio, my WERE WRATH bound proof copy, an ornament that Andre Gave me, a box of Artist trading cards, and some other stuff.
Sadly, I no longer own a tape player to play my WITCH WORLD audio.
Irene
Irene,
Address sent - just post VHS, I'll take care of conversion and then send you back the tape. Thanks - can't wait to see it.
When the post office has it's lobby open.... If the customer postage machine & scale is working.
DVD gets posted tonight... otherwise tomorrow.

If we are lucky and the disk is still viable.

It was 1992, and WorldFantasy was in Pine Mountain, CA. Among the guests were Andre Norton, Anne McCaffrey and Marion Zimmer Bradley. I think I have photo proof. Jerrie was there and thought I was taking good notes. Hah! Hah I say!.

You will all get to see the 20 years younger me. Keeping seconds ahead of Andre Norton as I thought of a question as she answered the last one.

After waiting in the audience for 5 minutes with Andre waiting on the podium - I asked Ingrid Neilson. "Did Andre know that she was supposed to select her own interviewer?" Ingrid's reply: "Just ask her about the cats and she will talk for an hour." So I found myself buttoning my over blouse & grabbing some paper and mounting the stairs.

So, rapid thinking, and knowledge of the great ladies work, got me through the interview. Then I spent a year trying to get a copy of the interview. [There was an official recording, but never an official "announcement" of them selling the recordings.] Even longer, to get a DVD made of the original VHS tape.

I no longer even have a VHS tape player, and still haven't learned how to play a DVD on my new TV. So who knows what is on here.
Irene
Irene,
The DVD disc was received, copied and posted back to you yesterday. Thank you very much.

It contains the interview you mention, for which I will post on website in the next few days. It is, as you say, the professional video of you and Andre at the World Fantasy Convention. With the camera just off to the right of the handheld video taken by Mark Karpinski, which was mistakenly labeled for the year 1987, and currently posted on the site. Mark keeps his camera on as people are mixing together after the discussion.

Again - Thanks for sharing, and we'll gladly post anything else you want to share with Andre's fans. :hellohands:
Lots-A-Watts Wrote:Irene, The DVD disc was received, copied and posted back to you yesterday. Thank you very much. It contains the interview you mention, which I will post on website in the next few days.
That will be great to see!
Here's a question for you - Would you rather stream and watch a full hour or four short segments? I can post it either way.

And on another note: Back to the original thread - The prospects of the world being able to read "Fanus" is looking real good. :trio:
I'll let you know more as soon as I can.
Lots-A-Watts Wrote:Here's a question for you - Would you rather stream and watch a full hour or four short segments? I can post it either way.
Personally, I would rather have it in smaller pieces. With a DSL connection, I think 15-minutes segments would be quite do-able.
Gotcha - That's why I did all the other video in parts. Mainly so they would play on my connection which was only 3mbps just two days ago. Just got bumped up to 8mbps but it's still just two little copper wires.

Just posted the video from Irene in four segments check out both Irene's and Mark's videos Can't believe I still remembered how to get video on to my site. Took many hours.
Returned DVD received.

I'm getting a 5 minute interview from around the same time period converted from VCR to DVD - probably not until Monday.
Then the usual delay while I figure out when I can [print another copy of your address and] get to the Post Office.

This is a 1992 "Comander Rick" interview. This seems to have been part of a 43 min program.
Irene
Irene Wrote:This is a 1992 "Comander Rick" interview. This seems to have been part of a 43 min program.

There was a Commander Rick in the TVO program "Prisoners of Gravity" that aired about 20 years ago. I still love watching episodes of that show (available at the TVO website and youtube). In the program, the interviews are conducted from Rick's lair in a TV satellite. Each week, a different topic was covered, and bits of various interviews would be inserted as applicable. If this is the raw interview footage for the program, then it would be interesting to see what that looks like.

Bah! TVO seem to have removed the episodes in their archive. What a pity!
Lots-A-Watts Wrote:Just posted the video from Irene in four segments check out both Irene's and Mark's videos Can't believe I still remembered how to get video on to my site. Took many hours.
Hard to believe The Lady is 80 years old in this video!
That's the first time I've ever seen Andre Norton outside of photographs, and the first time I've heard her voice, so many thanks for making the video available. I was expecting some Southern drawl in her voice, but her accent is quite neutral. I guess I forgot she was born and raised in Cleveland.

Due to my forgetfulness, I ended up acquiring two copies of Ciara's Song; one hard and one soft cover version. After hearing the story behind the cover art in the video, I think I'll have to keep both copies. That cover art with the witch is even funnier now to look at. Maybe I'll have to get a crayon and colour her skin green. Smile

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shadow Hawk - Discussion - or When is a good story NOT? Lots-A-Watts 6 1,082 December 5th, 2019, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Andre Norton story "Ghost Tour" Jerrie 20 1,185 March 16th, 2016, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Jerrie
  Posting Story Images Lots-A-Watts 2 440 April 14th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Last Post: Irene
  Andre Norton Short Story collection List Paul Goode 17 1,751 February 18th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Last Post: jmelsna
  Warrior Sister - A short story featuring Andre Norton Joseph Baneth Allen 6 1,093 July 21st, 2013, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Joseph Baneth Allen
  What is this story? gardengirl 14 1,681 September 14th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Last Post: Marron4Gateau
  The Magic of Christmas with an original story by Andre Norton jimqwerty 2 1,229 April 30th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Last Post: jimqwerty
  When is Elvenbred going to be released?!?! Mystic_reihn 9 9,814 March 26th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Last Post: jefferson81
  Story suggestions Paul B. 0 953 July 23rd, 2004, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Paul B.
  New Andre Norton Story Irene 4 1,447 July 21st, 2004, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Jerrie