Andre Reading Club-- Wraiths of Time
Archaeology, psychometry, teleportation, Time travel, kidnapping, impersonation, psychic abilities, magical ancient talismen and alien attack and intrigue are just some of the ingredients on display in this thrilller cooked up by the fertile mind of Andre Norton. Tallahassee Mitford (now how's that for a name?) was called in to authenticate some ancient relics which seem to affect geiger counters although they are not radioactive. When she comes in contact with both articles, she is blasted back into the far distant past of the Ethiopian kingdom of Meroe . There she discovers that she has been transformed into Ashake a magnificent Warrior
Princess and shoved into a conflict with unearthly forces including Wraiths (spirits that only she can communicate with) With a double identity of Ashake/Tallassee, she must sort out just who she can trust before deciding any appropriate actions. A thriller indeed--Later Kind Folks--Paul:book:

Next:The Opal-Eyed Fan and Velvet Shadows , two GOTHICS before entering the Dngeons and Dragons world of Quag Keep
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
I better read the book again.

My memory says that this isn't Time travel - but 'Cross Time travel - as in alternate universes. Tallahassee is dragged across into a "modern" world, where her double lies dead at her feet. This new world appears to be far in the past to her, until the military land in helecopters, with modern style weapons.

I remember loving this book, and the fact that she is a strong woman with College degree, facing the then bias of this new consultant.

Thank you for this review - I'm moving the book to the pile next to the comfy chair. Maybe the two gothics also.
Irene
Very Interesting concept , Irene. I had thought of it as straight time travel with an alien twist. The alternate time lines(crosstime wise)would have come into existance if Talahassee not traveled. Two sets of time cops were sent to Earth to stop one of their own and possibly to reduce contamination. I could see them removing all of the too advanced tecnology and returning civilization to its normal track. And any tales of he aliens woulf fade into obscurity and mythology. No divergent time line. Anyone else on these options? ...... Later Kind folks--Paul
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Andre on "Jeopardy!" Jerrie 1 310 July 4th, 2022, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Irene
  Passing of Andre Norton, March 17, 2005 Irvkoch 49 32,176 July 2nd, 2022, 09:55 AM
  a vivid Andre Norton moment Jerrie 2 357 June 6th, 2022, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Andre Norton inspired Martha Wells Jerrie 3 961 May 15th, 2022, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts
  Good News for Andre Lovers. Lots-A-Watts 5 829 December 3rd, 2021, 09:15 PM
  Andre's burial site Tudorlady419 3 688 November 24th, 2021, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Tudorlady419
  Well! - It's About Time Someone Did This! Lots-A-Watts 2 852 April 2nd, 2021, 02:04 AM
  HUGE Andre Norton sale - today only! Jerrie 3 782 March 28th, 2021, 09:06 PM
  ebay listing - 70 Andre Norton books for sale chris.hakenkamp@gmail.com 1 783 November 19th, 2020, 09:01 AM
  Andre's Reading Corner - Nobble Warrior Meets with a Ghost Lots-A-Watts 1 518 November 4th, 2020, 08:13 PM