Andre Reading Club extra---Tales from High Hallack V.1
As requested, I took a break from The LIST to read TFHH V.1. It is wonderful to have all these tales in one volume. I would have arranged them in a different order, but that is just my own bias. This volume contains three of my favorite Norton short stories, one of which I consider "perfect". In this volume are:
A Post- Apocaliptic recovery story
An Arthurian mythos tale
An Arabian Nights fable
Two kiddie fables
A Hockey tale
and Several Witch World tales.

Looking forward to the next volumes-- Later Kind Folks--Paul

A funny note--In the fifteen years that I knew her personally, she always maintainted that she always thought in Novel lengths and wasn't very good at writing short stories. I think that she would have been surprised at this collection. Pleased ,yes, but definitely srprised.

Coming up next on the Reading Club are Red Hart Magic,a YA adventure, The Wraiths of Time, a histsrical fantasy followed by two Gothic Romances, The Opal -Eyed Fan aand Velvet Shadows
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
But which are your three favorites? :-(
But what are the stories about? I was hoping you would do a write-up for each story. :leech:
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Andre Norton's website - andre-norton.com
Granted; there are Two stories 0ver 20 pages, and Six fall into the 10-20 range. Most of these (Ten)tales ,however, have Three to Nine pages. By the time one reads any synopsis I could write they could have read the story which Andre told much better than I ever could. If asked nicely, I will write up the two longest(The Sword of Unbelief & The Way Wind) Other than that, I am returning to the Andre Reading List.:book: Later Kind Folks--Paul

Ok, Jmelsa, since you asked, my (personal favorite) top three for this volume are The Dowery of the Rag-Picker's Daughter One Spell Wizard and All Cats Are Gray

I love the Arabian Nights tales and Dowery is a gem. Besides that, Andre asked me to write a sequel which she loved.

One Spell Wizard was FUN, a classic case of misjugement coming back to bite one on the rear.

All Cats Are Gray is vintage early Norton and I love it. I also have it on my list of "Perfect Short Stories"
To me a Perfect Short Story has not one word too many and not one word too few and a powerful ending. My list is short in itself so far and in no particular order:

All Cats Are Gray------Andre Norton
Mousetrap--------------Andre Norton
The Gift of the Magi--- O Henry
Laura-------------------- Saki
The Open Window----- Saki
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
Paul Goode Wrote:Ok, Jmelsna, since you asked, my (personal favorite) top three for this volume are The Dowry of the Rag-Picker's Daughter, One Spell Wizard, and All Cats Are Gray

I love the Arabian Nights tales and Dowry is a gem. Besides that, Andre asked me to write a sequel which she loved.

One Spell Wizard was FUN, a classic case of misjudgment coming back to bite one on the rear.

All Cats Are Gray is vintage early Norton and I love it. I also have it on my list of "Perfect Short Stories"
Thanks--I shall read those right away...
My favorite, is and always has been "All Cats are Grey"
Irene
The ebook version of this only appears to be available for the Kindle and Nook devices. I recently bought a bunch of the Norton books available on Google Play for reading on my Sony and PocketBook devices, but this collection isn't available there. Anyone know if that will change?

Edit: I've just seen this book available for pre-order on Google Play, scheduled for release on July 1, 2014. So, it's taking a while, but I'll get it eventually.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Andre on "Jeopardy!" Jerrie 1 194 July 4th, 2022, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Irene
  Passing of Andre Norton, March 17, 2005 Irvkoch 49 31,741 July 2nd, 2022, 09:55 AM
  a vivid Andre Norton moment Jerrie 2 244 June 6th, 2022, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Andre Norton inspired Martha Wells Jerrie 3 876 May 15th, 2022, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts
  Good News for Andre Lovers. Lots-A-Watts 5 701 December 3rd, 2021, 09:15 PM
  Andre's burial site Tudorlady419 3 548 November 24th, 2021, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Tudorlady419
  HUGE Andre Norton sale - today only! Jerrie 3 702 March 28th, 2021, 09:06 PM
  ebay listing - 70 Andre Norton books for sale chris.hakenkamp@gmail.com 1 716 November 19th, 2020, 09:01 AM
  Andre's Reading Corner - Nobble Warrior Meets with a Ghost Lots-A-Watts 1 451 November 4th, 2020, 08:13 PM
  Andre's Reading Corner - Hob's Pot Lots-A-Watts 0 462 October 23rd, 2020, 11:42 AM