Saving Mr. Banks movie
Has anyone have opinion on it so far?
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
Based on the advanced publicity I have seen for the movie, I am going to guess that it will do okay. But it strikes me as odd that they would even consider doing a biopic of Walt Disney. I suppose you can't stop anyone from doing it but I wasn't really interested in the drama behind "Mary Poppins".
I grew up with the Mary Poppins books and was never happy with the movie version. Julie Andrews was just too young then and NOT my idea of Mary. She could probably do a credible job now, though.
Sitting quietly, doing nothing,
Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.
I'm afraid I grew up on the movie and always loved it. Smile

I guess that was my first experience in the "movie-versus-book" world of opinions. Children should not be forced to make such choices, but what can one do?

"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" was another film from that era that I just absolutely loved.

And then my heart was broken by Hollywood when they released that absolutely awful "Finnegan's Rainbow".
Agnes Moorehead would have been my first choice to play Mary.
Sitting quietly, doing nothing,
Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.
Finian's Rainbow? Really? That's one of my favorite musicals of all time, and I try to watch it whenever it comes on. I had/have such a crush on Petula Clark after seeing it as a little boy. I am told it's very faithful to the stage play, although I've never seen that, as it's rarely done nowadays. Periodically I talk with friends in local theatre about how it should be done locally, and we come up with dream casts of who would play the various roles. There's always the issue of how you cast the Senator - do you use a white actor who then puts on blackface, or do you cast two actors? Fortunately, there are two guys here in town, one white and one black, who actually do resemble each other a good bit, especially with age (mid-50's) height (both very short) build (both adding a few lbs.) and hair (both balding) - bioth are great singers/dancers, and so that would be a dream double-casting.

I'm too old now to play Og, but am just getting old enough to play Finian. Of course, I can't dance, but I think they added a lot of dance since they had Fred Astaire in the cast - I don't think the stage Finian was normally a dancer. That's the only movie/play I've ever actually bought sheet music for - I used to use "Old Devil Moon" as an audition piece. Although the score (which you're supposed to give the accompanist) is the arrangement from the play, while I was only familiar w/ the film arrangement, and since I can't read music, I realized that I was singing something different that the accompanists were playing at first! :laugh: My roommate at the time was a little younger, and used to use Og's "Love the Girl I'm Near" song for auditions too.

On Poppins - I first had those stories read to me, before I could read, and then was able to read them myself by the time the movie came out. I also "got" that movies could be very different from books, and so never minded Julie Andrews or Dick van Dyke, since I surely didn't want to see a couple of old cranky people singing and dancing in order to be faithful to the books. Nor did I mind the "super-cali-fragilistic" stuff, since that was very funny, even if not from the books. Same with Chitty Chitty - I had the book, even knew at some level that its author also did spy novels for grown-ups, and realized that the movie was essentially a different story about a flying car and a family with the same names. But that didn't stop me from getting a Chitty coloring book, or the Toot-Sweet whistles that were I think included in some cereal box.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
I saw this movie today and absolutely loved it. Of course I also enjoyed "Finding Neverland" one of Johnny Depp's finest performances. Bite your tongue, Michael, I beg to disagree with your assessment of Finians Rainbow. It is one up there with Disney's "The Happiest Millionaire" . On the other hand, I agree with Ian Flemming that Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang is the best movie treatment of any of his novels, even the Bonds. Later Kind Folks--PaulCool
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
Nevah! I shall nevah bite my tongue, sirrah! I hate that movie and will never watch it again.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Live action Rescue Rangers movie badlands 1 388 June 21st, 2021, 01:36 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Gargoyles: the live action movie badlands 5 1,147 March 28th, 2021, 12:12 PM
  Live action Mickey Mouse movie? badlands 2 1,061 August 15th, 2019, 03:34 PM
Last Post: diegoarismendi
  News about "Maleficent 2" movie Michael 0 602 March 6th, 2019, 03:34 PM
  An animated movie about wild animals who live on the border badlands 3 784 January 15th, 2019, 05:18 PM
  Mulan live action movie badlands 1 425 August 15th, 2018, 12:04 AM
  Bryan Cranston casted in a Disney movie? badlands 1 393 March 3rd, 2018, 04:03 PM
Last Post: august
  Maybe Disney should make a cartoon or movie like this to compete with the TMNT? badlands 1 605 November 9th, 2017, 09:03 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  The Lion King live action movie? badlands 7 761 October 26th, 2016, 12:13 PM
  Moana the movie badlands 2 585 August 18th, 2016, 07:24 PM