Estate Sanctioned Ebooks
Not much to say but go here
http://www.premierdigitalpublishing.com/...dre-norton

:balloons::jester::hellohands:
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Andre Norton's website - Andre-Norton-Books.com
Not bad. New covers for almost all of these ebooks.

The only one that isn't is SWORD IS DRAWN, which is sort of a mix of the Sword series paper editions.

Only a very few of these are Nook, with most from Amazon, and hence for the Kindle. [Which I don't have.]

The problem is that these are all $3.99 each. < text about public domain removed >
If you are a Kindle owner, there is some sort of "club" that will make the books borrowed for free.

I plan on puchasing a collection, rather than one-by-one purchasing these items.
AND of course, purchasing a Nook collection.
[Will go to Barnes & Nobel on Sunday, and download the books on their test machines to select the best for me to bring on vacation. Historically, I've downloaded a couple of books that were unreadable jibberish, or actually short stories.]
Irene
Irene,

I really hate to jump on your statement. For you are correct that most of them are for the Kindle, according to my records not one of these titles are the 14 that are public domain. Although there seems to be a whole lot of titles being released on kindle. With the exception of the 24 from Premier most of the others as far as I can tell are just those 14 titles constantly repackaged. I am trying to get with the estate to weed out the ones that are not truly sanctioned by the estate. For I really do not want to list them on my site. But Again the 24 from Premier are not in the public domain, if I can be proven to be wrong I will gladly correct my website.

Jay
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
OK - that's good to know. How many years puts a book in/out of Public Domain? Most of the books on the newly published list seem to be from the 1970's, or maybe that was just my perception. I'll need to look again.

Still, my comment about "$3.99 each" seems expensive, still holds.

Nook has this interesting feature, that I was just able to determine which of the collections I won, and plan to compare them to the other collections.
Irene
I stand corrected. I just reviewed all of the Andre Norton collections available for the Nook, and they are sub-sets of the same 13 books, and 3 stories.

The other stuff out there includes some of the Collections as packaged by Baen, like LOST LANDS OF THE WW ($7, THREE, WARLOCK & SORCERESS of the WW).

I'm glad that those new editions are out there now, but I don't like paying $4 each for the titles.
I don't know if I'll bite the bullet, or just wallow in Jane Austin, or OZ books for my next vacation.
Irene
Irene Wrote:How many years puts a book in/out of Public Domain?

Irene: The answer to your question gets complicated. Basically, if published after 1977 and all the correct procedures were followed, the copyright expires 70 years after the death of the author. There is a chart on the Cornell website that summarizes the various possibilities.

http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm

It is good to see some old favorites being published digitally. I don't remember Wheel of Stars but it is on my list so I must have read it at some point. Now, if I can only find my copy...
Jim
Those books in the public domain now were not renewed when they were up for renewal (I'd have to look up my research to remember when) by Andre and/or her manager. I don't know if this was intentional or not, as it costs money to renew each one then. And they were still in copyright while she was alive. This was many years ago, and then at her death, they went off copyright. The rest were apparently renewed (those before 1977 and to which it applied), and the ones after that go by different rules, so they will not go off copyright for a number of years still. The estate will have to keep up with which ones may or may not go off copyright in the years ahead, unless they are renewed by her heirs, the estate in the case of the copyrights.
Jim, I had not seen that site until just now, that is interesting and very complete, much better than the site I had looked all this stuff on several years ago. And better explanations. Thanks... I think I had looked at the Library of Congress site...
Jim
Jay,
For WHEEL OF STARS look with your Trade sized paperbacks. Though it does seem to have been reprinted by TOR in a regular Mass-Market paperback size. But I'm not telling you anything you don't know. They are on your web site.
Irene
Irene,

I have to say - I don't have a clue what you are talking about. The first edition is a Trade Paper, and then the two releases after that are Paperback. If you have some info I don't, please supply it. If you are comparing the size of the pictures, don't - those are thumbnail images and formatted to be the same.

Jay

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beast Master movie rights reverting back to Estate control Lots-A-Watts 11 1,014 October 26th, 2016, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Free Ebooks Lots-A-Watts 0 276 August 6th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts
  Witch World: The Turning -- ebooks Lots-A-Watts 4 503 August 11th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Last Post: rkomar
  My Apologies to the Norton Estate Lots-A-Watts 1 983 May 22nd, 2012, 09:52 AM
Last Post: Irene
  Pauline (P.M. Griffin) went to eBooks Michael 3 1,515 January 22nd, 2009, 02:23 AM
  Andre Norton estate litigation recap Michael 12 3,134 November 6th, 2008, 08:52 AM
  Literary estate? Paul B. 20 4,493 September 16th, 2008, 12:26 PM
  Estate of Andre Norton W. Richard Frahm 10 2,187 September 27th, 2007, 08:50 AM
  Need address for Norton estate Pam in Ann Arbor 12 2,262 January 8th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Last Post: Paul Goode
  Andre Norton Estate Website patjade 0 1,158 September 5th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Last Post: patjade