E-books
I got a call from Sue today. She says that EVERY Norton novel will soon be available as e-books. I am not sure whether Kindle or Nook or some other. Hopefully, in all formats.

Also, the estate is having a Norton news website created She is hoping for middle of June. I believe that she said the address will be: andrenorton.com

She is also trying to find out what is going on with the Andre Norton centennial tribute video. I hope she can get it out for us to enjoy.

I am also hoping that an agreement can be worked out to bring out any previously unpublished materials that may be out there.

Whenever I hear something definite, I will pass it along--- Later Kind Folks--Paul :book:
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
Paul,

Thank you for passing that along: All of it sounds like great, encouraging news!

I may have to break down and get an e-reader (I have been resisting it, lo these many years). One of my criteria has always been whether it would be easier to read during the warmups or the inning breaks at the baseball game on a sunny, heady day (I got to my first one of the season this week!) than that paperback I may have stuffed into my pocket.

A question for y'all (all the Pauls, pals, fans, and friends): When was the last time you walked into a (used or new) book store (no matter why you were there) without making that turn down the aisle you know has the Norton books?

And if that question was too easy: Can you name the authors that are most likely to be on her right and on her left on the shelf?

(I reserve the right to ask a follow up question ... if no one has beat me to it!) :o
If baseball is in the air, why not catch it?
Right, Steve, an anti-zombie question(ie. a no-brainer)

right off the top of my head :

On the Young adult section ----Mary Norton and Scott Odell come to mind

on the general stacks -----Ann Mccaffrey, Julian May, Elizabeth Moon, William F. Nolan, George Orwell, H. Beam Piper,Doris Piserchia and Fredrik Pohl

Hope that is what you were looking for. Later kind Folks--Paul:bg:
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
Hi again folks,

I don't know how it works but all these e-books are to be released with all new artwork "covers". Also, next month, there will be a massive "media blitz" promoting Norton.

Sue also said that there are plans in the works for more audio books of Norton titles.
Question--- Who would you like to read various Norton works??

I believe Richard Brewer did a great job on Beastmaster and Lord of Thunder
How about celebrities with nice voices? James Earl Jones, Lavar Burton, etc. Later Kind Folks--Paul:book:
This is good news. Now maybe I can pick up those missing books at a reasonable price.
Paul (no, the other one)
Captain of the ISS Andre Norton

By vocation, I am a Horta-master
By avocation, I am a reader
By Dream, I am a star-roamer
By choice, I am Andrefan
John Hurt would be a great choice for an audio book. Does he do them?
I recently met a great voice artist: Bob Kuhn. http://www.bkvoice.com/
He's a Boston resident (Arlington, MA) with a trained slow British speaking voice, and an authentic Australian accent when needed.

I already own an Andre Norton 13 book collection. I read it all the time on vacation.... So I finished the first "STORM OVER WARLOCK" with Shan Lantee & a Harry Potter book on vacation. [And yes I am just back.]

As for the shelves in the book store: Just before is Norman and just after Kim Novic.

In the book stores in France. Couldn't find Norton..... I did pick up the first Tamara Pierce book in French. This will amuse Tammy.
Irene
Personally

I really think that Mike Rowe from the discovery channel would do a great job - give him the Solar Queen novels.

Jay
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Andre Norton's website - Andre-Norton-Books.com
Irene Wrote:.... So I finished the first "Something WARLOCK" with Shan Lantee &

Irene: Something Warlock? I thought vacations were to relax and recharge so you could remember things better? Wink Especially NORTON things. I am really surprised that you didn't remember...

wait for it...

<drum roll>...

Storm Over...
Paul (no, the other one)
Captain of the ISS Andre Norton

By vocation, I am a Horta-master
By avocation, I am a reader
By Dream, I am a star-roamer
By choice, I am Andrefan
Some vacations ARE for resting. Most of mine are for walking all over a part of the world. Visiting only 3 book stores due to time and location constraints (i.e. you have to see the book store to go in.)
However, the long flight back & then driving 3 hours (traffic & rain) from JFK home take a toll on sleep needs.

I may have caught-up from sleep deprivation by the weekend. And I remembered the title by evening, confirmed it, and edited my post.... Before reading your response.

The flight back had enough time to watch the movie HUGO and HP & Deathly Hallows -pt 1. Not much sleeping going on on my part.
Irene
Part of the questions posed by Steven V. I cannot walk into any book store without checking the childrens & Science Fiction sections.
This includes book stores that I don't speak the language.
So imagine a walking tour of some city in Germany, and Irene sneaking out of the tour, rushing into a book store, and then trying to get back before the tour guide (speaking into my headset) moves off.
[And I speak NO German]

This was a bit easier in France, as I speak bad French..... or French badly.
Irene
I first found Alan Nourse due to Norton proximity.

Irene, I'm glad you're safely back & hope you had lots of fun.

Jerrie, off to TimeGate
Timegate. I'm jealous, My daughter went one year('10 or '11) While you're there, try to have them instigate a filk track. I got lots of DrWho songs. Later Kind Folks--PaulConfuseding:
I just added Bob Kuhn's web site to the posting, http://www.bkvoice.com/, Bob has a great voice, and would be within the realities/price range of reading Andre Norton stories.
He's got "interviews" on his site.
Irene
I was looking at the Norton books for Nook, and noticed that there were several "collections". Remembering that the first time I got a Norton collection, I chose by the largest number of books, I suppose that this time, I will need to go through each "collection" and determine which one would best compliment the collection I already have. To wit - the least duplicated books.

Example: I have three copies of PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. One came with the Nook, One came as part of the Jane Austin Collection, and the last came as a part of the Collection of favorite books (ANNE OF GREEN GABLES, LITTLE WOMEN, etc) I've also got all of the Wizard of Oz books, and the Harry Potter books. I should have plenty for vacation.
Irene
Steven Vogel Wrote:(I reserve the right to ask a follow up question ... if no one has beat me to it!) :o

No one has yet tip-toed down this aisle, so here it is: How many departments (or headings) can you envision Miss Norton's books being stocked under in the ideal book store one day, and what are those categories or departments? (On that ideal day when all of her works are once again in print--preferably in hard cover--with all new cover art to keep Jay an honest man!) Speculative Fiction and Fantasy, of course; Children's; Historical Fiction ... just to get things started.

It seems to me it would be easier to make a case for which shelves should not contain her titles!

Our great book store has AMS all in one location (one single shelf), despite his various genres and series. Maybe it is just easier for sellers and buyers that way, but I wonder if catching browsing eyes (especially younger readers) would be easier with a splash here and another there. In which genre has she not written? And/or which ones do not have sections in the major book stores?
If baseball is in the air, why not catch it?
The only sections for which I do not believe you could find an Andre Book would be the Auto-Bibliographic and Bibliographic. Other than those I do believe Andre has it covered.

Jay
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Biographic - would be BERTIE AND MAY which is Bertha Stemm Norton's story.

"Sports" Aisle? Travel Aisle?

When I walk into an book store - example in France - I limit my self to Science Fiction and Childrens. Less disappointment.
Irene
LMAO -
Quote:"Sports" Aisle? Travel Aisle?

My First thought was - what the #### is that?

Can't believe I have ever even walked down that Isle.:wink:

Oh - and I completely forgot about "Bertie and May"
My local Barnes & Nobel - and the one that is my preffered rest break on the way to my parents, have sections for lots of stuff.

I sometimes cruise the whole thing - especially when I just need a book store fix.
So there are sections for crafts [OCTAGON MAGIC], hobbies, health, travel, religion [GIFTS OF ASTI (?)], bargain priced, stationary/blank books, Legos, Childrens, YA, Mystery, romaince, SciFi, General, Computer ["All cats are Gray"], magazines, and probably some sections that I have forgotten in the Non-fiction area.
Irene

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ebay listing - 70 Andre Norton books for sale chris.hakenkamp@gmail.com 1 404 November 19th, 2020, 09:01 AM
Last Post: Irene
  ACE Books Lots-A-Watts 12 685 August 22nd, 2020, 02:50 PM
  Witch World books! Jack123456 17 1,896 February 4th, 2020, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Jack123456
  Five Senses Boxed set of e-books on sale! Jerrie 6 649 January 16th, 2019, 12:27 PM
  Dust and books. Irene 36 2,173 November 5th, 2018, 01:59 PM
  Smoke and Books Irene 5 629 June 24th, 2018, 04:47 PM
  Piracy of Andre's books Taliesin 3 644 February 3rd, 2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Keep your books above water Irene 5 555 September 15th, 2017, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Books, Books everywhere and not a thing to read Irene 18 1,102 July 19th, 2016, 11:19 AM
  Andre-Norton-Books.com needs some serious help Lots-A-Watts 9 861 March 26th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts