Why no film roles for James Earl Jones, Frank Langella, etc.?
It's a question often asked online - "how come - (insert name of favorite actor) isn't in any movies this year?"

(And one raised here a couple of years ago.)

The answer remains the same - often they are doing stage work instead. Nominated for Tony Awards for Best Actor this year are:

Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman"
James Earl Jones, "Gore Vidal's The Best Man"
Frank Langella, "Man and Boy"
John Lithgow, "The Columnist"

Best Actress nominees include:

Stockard Channing, "Other Desert Cities"
Linda Lavin, "The Lyons"
Cynthia Nixon, "Wit"

Supporting (i.e. "featured") nominations include:

Andrew Garfield, "Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman" (yes, that's the new Spider-Man!)
Judith Light, "Other Desert Cities"
David Alan Grier, "The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess"
August - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
According to IMDB James Earl Boggins Jones has two movies coming up. One is called "Gimme Shelter" and stars Vanessa Hudgens as a teenager who is forced to live on the street while she searches for her Wall Street father. The other is "Starbright", which has something to do with an orphan who retreats into a fairy tale land.

The second one looks interesting to me.
Langella was in several big movies over the past few years, as I recall. Superman Returns, and then the one that was something or other about a box.
Well sure, plus he got nominated for an Oscar for playing Nixon in Nixon/Frost. (Although that was a role he had first done on stage.) But that was in '08, Superman in '06, and The Box in '09. But that was sort of the point - if someone only does a few roles here and there, or is absent from the screen for a year or two (or more significantly is absent from blockbuster films for a year or two) the fan world tends to say - online of course Wink - that their career must be over. Trek in particular - anytime Patrick Stewart's name comes up, fans often point to how the Chakotay and Janeway and Sisko actors had their careers ruined by Trek. When in reality, Kate Mulgrew is thriving on Broadway, Avery Brooks is a tenured professor at Rutgers, and Robert Beltran runs his own theatre company. They just aren't necessarily alerting individual fans to their projects, and they aren't doing sci-fi only.
August - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
This is annoying that such great actors are no longer popular.
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
psstt... go back and read the original post. Smile They are actually very popular, and nominated for prestigious awards for their work.
Sorry... I heard a rumour that James Earl Jones might be in a movie with Eddie Murphy, Laurence Fishburne, and Samuel Jackson based on a Jerry Lewis movie called Cinderfellow. He is suppose to be the evil wicked stepfather.
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
"Cinderfella" does seem to be happening with Jerry Lewis' involvement. I presume it's a remake of the original. No details, yet.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What good historical roles can you think of for black actors? badlands 2 138 April 18th, 2019, 03:29 PM
Last Post: august
  Which actors do you believe were wrongly casts in roles? badlands 2 140 January 13th, 2019, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Nathan Fillion in "Uncharted" fan film Michael 0 168 July 16th, 2018, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Michael
  James Woods dumped by his agent badlands 0 230 July 5th, 2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Historical roles that would like to see your favorite actors in? badlands 0 208 February 22nd, 2018, 01:16 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Comic movie roles that might suit Idris Elba. badlands 1 154 February 20th, 2018, 12:14 PM
  What would be good roles for Dwight Johnson The Rock ? badlands 1 230 February 20th, 2018, 12:12 PM
  Theo James in Divergent Irene 5 316 February 2nd, 2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Irene
  What good roles would be great for actresses? badlands 3 252 June 4th, 2017, 02:43 PM
  Chris Pratt roles badlands 5 324 May 21st, 2017, 02:13 PM