"Immortals" - My take
So I got to see "Immortals" this weekend and I must say I was not very impressed. I realize other people liked it but I was not very engaged in the movie. It just sort of dragged for me.

I did like Luke Evans' performance. He was a very different kind of Zeus. He should be an interesting Bard the Bowman in "The Hobbit". Mickey Roarke's performance as King Hyperion reminded me too much of Ivan Vanko from "Iron Man 2". He's a good actor but I think he's playing that one personality too much.

John Hurt as Zeus' alter ego was kind of interesting. I was reminded of his roles in "Hell Boy" more than of his performances in "Harry Potter". I guess he's managed to avoid being stereotyped.

Isabel Lucas (Athena) has appeared in 2 other movies I have seen, "Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen" and "Daybreakers". I don't remember much about "Daybreakers" but she played the evil Transformer Girl (Alice) in "Tr-2". I suppose she was okay as Athena but I just didn't feel the Olympians were given much personality at all. In fact, I had trouble figuring out who was who because the guys were so similar.

So what did I not like about "Immortals"? For one thing, the landscapes were all barren and rocky. What is it about film-makers that they have to make their movies against desert backgrounds? They had trees and plants in ancient Greece and Anatolia.

I didn't like the immense CGI-generated army, either. It wasn't very impressive at all. CGI armies have been done to death. Not only was it too large for the mythical period it was too vague and ambiguous.

Henry Cavill did okay as Theseus I suppose but he didn't really make me think of him as Theseus. I had the impression that this movie was trying to be "300", and I don't really like "300". I didn't much enjoy his performance as the foppish Humphrey in "Stardust". I hope he does a better job for me as Superman.

So I think the movie was a bit pretentious or condescending. I guess it was going for the graphic novel look but that just put me off. I had the impression that some of the people around me liked the movie, though, so this is probably just my own personal taste getting in the way of enjoying the story.

I didn't think much of the story, though. To be honest, it just didn't engage me. I don't know if I'll watch the movie again. Perhaps if I do it will grow on me.

MYCode Guide