Signatures
OK, folks, many of us had the privilege of getting the Lady to sign things. What is the most esoteric thing you had her sign? Among mine are MAID-AT-ARMS, a copy of House of seven Gables for which she had written the forward and a copy of Heinlein's THE STAR BEAST which has her Cleveland Press review of the book pfinted on the front endpaper. She also signed my golden Magazine with "The Boy and The Ogre". OK, now what have you got? Later Kind Folks--Paul:wave:

PS. Change of topic. I had great luck Sunday. I had spent the weekend visiting relatives down in south Louisiana and was headed home and stopped by a flea market and one booth had a nice metal Barrister bookcase full of whatnots. I asked the lady if the case was for sale and she said $35 and I took it home, Four shelves,12"X14"X33" and tight as a drum.
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
A "metal Barrister bookcase" Cool. All of my cases are wood (save the one that is a pressed board reproduction.)

...... back to main topic ......
I didn't have The Lady sign many strange stuff. I was always flying to Florida, Georgia, or Tennessee, with a luggage limit. So I was mostly getting Hard cover books signed, until I got down to the books only printed in Paper back. My records for the paperbacks seem to show that I didn't do a good job getting those signed - at least in 1992.

I do have some odd items signed.
* The Dust Jacket for SONGSMITH signed by Ann Crispin and Andre Norton. This the cover art that originally had the Witch of Escarp with green skin. (We will never get the OZ witch out of our culture.) This version just had the people as teenagers, and mounted double on a pony.
* The Witch World maps signed by both Andre Norton and Mary Hansen-Roberts. that's Odd: Andre signed 9/1992 and Mary 10/1992.
* And I have a nice Photo of Andre Norton taken by one of my friends, at NoreasCon 3, Boston MA, Sept 2, 1989, before the "MARS NEEDS MERCATS" Panel.
Irene
The metal barristers are totally cool. My first barrister is metal just like this new one. eachshelf has the same dimensions, but the old one has five shelves and it cost me $100 about twenty years ago. There was another one but two of the glasses were broken, so I passed on it (stupid move). At the time, the one held most of my collection. I have a five-shelf wooden reproduction 'antique" and a small four-shelf particle board unit. The metal ones are the best. They are so tight the air "puffs" whenever you open or close them. there are no cracks for dust or critters. One shelf of the new one gets my Tolkien collection and my complete "Arabian Nights" Later Kind folks--Paul:book:
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
I think all I ever asked her to sign were some books. And not many at that. I've been much of an autograph seeker. I end up losing most of them.
I have maybe four or five autographed hardcovers, and a few of the High Hallack bookmarks. I only started writing to The Lady--at Irene's urging--very briefly toward the end of her life, and of course never met her, but I do treasure a Christmas card which she sent me. (It may well have been the last year she did them...)
?Oh? Was I allowed to count Christmas Cards?

The oddest thing that anyone has ever signed for me, was a Large format Newspaper sized Comic Strip of a Neal Gaiman story. It was owned by a neighbor, and I got it signed for him at Montreal WorldCon.

Over the years, I've had lots of authors sign small slips of paper. When I didn't drag the books across country, the papers get slipped inside the books. [Thinking of this. When I slipped the Jullie Bell autograph into the envelope, I found some Mercedes Lackey & Larry Dixon signed slips, and a couple of artists & co-authors. I wonder what I had Joan Vinge sign at WorldCon? Maybe that is already inside of my MOONSINGER'S FRIENDS ed by Susan Schwartz.] If I ever get lucky, and the author comes to a "drive-to-it" location, I can swap the slips out. To bad I didn't think of this for Phylis Miller.
Irene
Irene Wrote:?Oh? Was I allowed to count Christmas Cards?
I just mentioned it because it was really the only signed thing I had from Ms Norton that wasn't a book. I never, for example, got any of the jewelry she made...

I have a slip of paper that was signed by cartoonist Charles Addams. I eventually acquired an original New Yorker cover from 1942, and had the two framed together by a professional. That's one of my other treasures.
I did get some of the jewelry, that Ms. Norton made. However, none of what I have is "signed". It is hard to sign beads.

One of my treasures is a signed Hirschfeld (spelling error sorry) drawing of the actor Robert Picardo (spelling again) who was the actor playing the holographic doctor in Star Trek Voyager. Signed as part of a Star Trek charity event.

I also have a Christmas Ornament, used to wrap a present, given to me by Andre Norton. I don't think it is signed, but it is in the drawer of "odd" items. [T-shirts, CD's, tapes, Tom Corbet - AN statue.]
Irene
Tom Corbet-- the cat in the space suit? I also treasure mine. I don't know how many were made, but I think they were offered for sale by Andre Norton Ltd before it went defunct. I have a few pieces of jewelry that she made, each coming with a signed card. She made me three "Bolo" ties, one is a beautiful fairy and two made from a pair of earrings that look like the inside of a treasure chest. For Christmas after Catfantastic V came out, she sent me a shelf-sitter figurine of a cat with a laptop computer in remembrance of the cat in my story in that volume. One of my fondest memories was recieving a copy of SNEEZE ON SUNDAY inscribed "To Paul Goode who has waited so long". I had been bugging her for quite a while to get MURDERS FOR SALE reprinted. The last time I mentioned it, she said "But it is so dated!" I replied "So is Agatha Christie and she gets reprinted all the time." She pondered a few seconds and said,"You know---I'd never even thought of that." I had forgotten about the conversation until the book showed up in my mailbox. Another personal memory treasure is a signed jacket for THREE HANDS FOR SCORPIO. I feel connected to that book because I was visiting high Hallack one day and she was quivering with excitement. She told me about this fantastic dream she had had the night before. She woke up at 2 AM and wrote down everything that she could remember. She then described the dream in amazing detail and was eager to start research and get writing.
To be there at the beginning and sharing the excitement was totally amazing. That is why the book always holds a special place in my heart. Getting carried away as usual--Later Kind Folks--Paul:bg:
Over the years I have collected a lot of stuff. Most of the stuff isn't signed.

At the large auction, when the "Library" was sold off, I sat under a table for hours, going through a pile of stuff. I don't remember if I got any of that signed. I do know that I directed someone else to the shelf of Christmas anthologies, to pull down the one with an Andre Norton story, so that she could get Andre to sign it.
Irene

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Signatures Irene 3 1,464 August 19th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Paul B.