SyFy continues to dither about BSG: Blood and Chrome format
According to ScienceFiction.com, SyFy has once again flipped and flopped on the upcoming "Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome" production. Originally announced as a Web series, the production was changed to a 2-hour TV movie, but now it may be moved back online.

"Blood and Chrome" is supposed to follow the career of the young William Adama and thus takes place AFTER Caprica but occurs BEFORE Ron Moore's re-imagined Battlestar Galactica.
I forget where, but this ties right in with what we discussing in another thread. As of right now, there just isn't any way for anyone to make $$ from a web-only series, and so whether it gets turned into a tv movie (e.g. Angel of Death) or direct-to-dvd release (e.g Dr. Horrible) or even an actual series (e.g. Sanctuary) before or after filming, that's almost invariably the result.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Yeah, I wish they would go or get off the pot....
SyFy seems to be torn between economics and its supposed dedication to science fiction projects.
Although that particular article (I haven't followed others that closely) doesn't indicate one way or the other if economics are involved. With a 1-shot movie, ratings aren't as much of an issue since if it does poorly, they have 51 more weeks to air things in that slot that will fare better. While if it does well, they can sell the dvd, plus possibly develop it into a new series (see, the last time I was paying attention, I had thought the series was a done deal.) With a web-series, they can always air it on tv later, and still sell the dvd either way. But fewer people will see it, and fewer advertisers will be involved.

One possibility is that the finished product may not be particularly good, or if it's technically "good," it still may not be that appealing to viewers. Caprica being the perfect example - there's no question that it was science fiction...but a minimal number of science fiction fans cared enough to watch it.

I think the key is not just doing science fiction projects...but science fiction projects that someone will want to watch. There's no question that rerunning Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and Time Tunnel would be science fiction.... or taking the creative team behind the big-screen Lost in Space remake and letting them do a science fiction series just like the film.... but how many fans would enjoy it?
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
So sad. They have made some really crappy made for tv movies that they constantly air and reair on SyFy yet they have trouble finding air time for this show? Really??? Who's running the asylum there anyway?
I don't think the article says anything about not being able to find time to air it, just that they may return to the original plan of running it online first. Fans causing Caprica to be cancelled by not watching it often enough certainly didn't help.

As for the movies, the key is that even the lowest-rated ones attract more viewers than Caprica or the last two seasons of BSG, and the reruns attract 5-10 times as many viewers as BSG reruns (which is why they stopped rerunning the tv episodes.)

As for The Asylum, it's still being run by David Michael Latt, David Rimawi and Paul Bales.

OK, OK, you didn't mean the production company by that name, you meant Syfy. :laugh: It's still being run by Dave Howe. :bg:
I don't think it has to do with airtime as much as it has to do how much back can they get from it if they invest in it. The crappy movies are made cheaply and get them decent ratings to make their ad revenue I assume. I can't imagine a web series making them any money. Somehow I knew scifi would straggle on this.
I can imagine quite a bit.
Yep, that's exactly what we were discussing in some other thread(s.) Web series as standalones can't possibly recoup investments... but then those are invariably released on dvd anyway. It probably makes a huge difference to the people paying the bills, but we the audiences end up seeing every little difference - case in point, the Stargate direct-to-dvd movies, which ended up airing on Syfy anyway after their release. As opposed to, say, the Farscape movie, or the BSG movie Razor, which first aired on Syfy, then got released on dvd. Presumably there's some difference...but I doubt we the audience will ever know what it is.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Back in the good old days of Syfy.... august 7 2,343 November 21st, 2013, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Michael
  MSNBC Critical of SyFy's move away from science fiction Boomstick 28 3,367 December 10th, 2012, 05:04 PM
  (another) USA Today article on Syfy originals august 5 1,337 July 6th, 2012, 06:11 AM
  Press Release from SyFy's 2012 Upfront - New Shows Michael 3 2,360 May 20th, 2012, 03:39 PM
  Syfy sets new viewership record august 17 1,670 April 9th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Last Post: august
  Syfy ranks in top 10 cable channels for Feb. '12 august 2 1,819 March 5th, 2012, 06:21 PM
  Syfy schedules record # of original programming august 0 615 February 18th, 2012, 11:34 PM
  Syfy announces 3 new scripted shows august 1 581 November 17th, 2011, 12:23 PM
  SyFy renews 2, adds 1 unscripted "reality" show to 2012 schedule Michael 0 542 September 21st, 2011, 08:47 AM
  SyFy gives "Alphas" another season Michael 0 442 September 12th, 2011, 11:55 AM