Omnibus Editions and Other Stuff
I just thought I would add to the conversation in another thread that got off topic - about titles getting reprinted into omnibus editions.

I have accounted for 340 titles all together. (341 if you care to count "Were-Wrath" as both a short and a stand alone title)

94 are short stories (with one being renamed and reprinted but slightly changed so I count both "People of the Crater" to "Garin of Tav")

66 have been reprinted in various titles which we all consider an Omnibus. (six of these being in two omnibus editions that got renamed)

30 are a collection of stories (most edited by Andre or contain only her shorts)

28 are Omnibus Titles (with two being renamed and counted here as republished under new name)

12 are ACE Doubles (this does not count "Star Hunter / Voodoo Planet" - I count that as a special, for reasons we could discuss if you care)

12 got republished under new names (thirteen if you count "People of the Crater" - mentioned above) (4 released only in the UK, 2 Omnibus editions, and six for reasons only Andre and the publishers know)

5 are what I call specials (The ACE Special Editions that are half of an ACE Double "The Last Planet" & "The Stars Are Ours!" ---- the two ACE releases of "Plague Ship" & "Sargasso of Space" as by Andrew North ---- and "Star Hunter / Voodoo Planet")

Leaving

93 that have not been re-released (if requested I will be glad to list them all - would be easy now)

Jay
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Andre Norton's website - Andre-Norton.com
Hi Jay --cool stuff. I was trying to think of how many volumes it would take(minimum) to collect all of Norton's stories to have on hand to read any time one wished.
I have come up with a list of stories that have only one source. I eliminated any novel that had more than one edition or story that had been reprinted in an Anthology. I came up with 35. Three of those are in one magazine so one would have to have 33 sources. For example,The Boy and The Ogre only ever appeared in Golden Magazine Sept.1966 and Stand And Deliver and Caroline have only one printing. That being said, thank you for making some the rarer texts( ie.,Black Irish and the Three poems from Omniungathm) available.
Here is my list:

Bard's Crown
Black Irish
The Boy and the Ogre
Caroline
Cats
Churchyard Yew
The Cobwebbed Princess
The End is the Beginning
Faire Likeness
The Familiar
Freedom
Herne's Lady
The Last Cohort
The Last Spell
Maid At Arms
The Nabob's Gift
Needle and Dream
Noble Warrior
Noble Warrior and the Gentlemen
Noble Warrior Meets with a Ghost
Noble Warrior, Teller of Fortunes
Procession to Var
Ravenmere
Red Cross White Cross
Rider on a Mountain
Set in Stone
Song of the Barbarian Swordsman
Stand and Deliver
Star Ka'ats and the Winged Warriors
Ten Mile Treasure
Three Inch Trouble
A very Dickensy Christmas
The Way Wind
White Violets
Yankee Privateer

I think that this list could be useful to anyone collecting Norton. Any thoughts? Later Kind Folks--Paul :book:
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
How about a digital anthology - "The Complete Works of Andre Norton"?

Jim
Jim
That would be cool,but you'd have to clear it with Sue. Later Kind Folks --Paul
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
And how would one go about that?

For I would be more than willing to work on one.

Jay
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
The book I did with NESFA press does list books, stories and omnibus editions.... but only through 1992.

I suppose I need to create an addenda - in my copious spare time.

Irene
Irene
Irene Wrote:The book I did with NESFA press does list books, stories and omnibus editions...but only through 1992. I suppose I need to create an addenda - in my copious spare time.
You're forgetting your own 2002 addendum, which was available online at some point, because I printed it out on good paper, and inserted it into my second edition of the original bibliography.
Better a copious (well-timed) sense of humor, Irene, than the myriad other copious things people tend to own up to! I, for one, hope that you WILL launch that next updating project! Much has changed since the first ... and the second.
If baseball is in the air, why not catch it?
Why would you need an addendum published when my website covers much more?
Lots-A-Watts Wrote:Why would you need an addendum published when my website covers much more?
This is very true, but some of us are so old-fashioned and book-oriented... Confusedo:
Well I agree with that point (for I am one). If I thought I could get it published I would think about it. However I kind a like the fact that all my hard work is free to anybody who has internet access.
Would you accept that I really need to do this for my own collection, and sense of "completness"?

Having things on-line is great. With the covers and other stuff this is great. But I kind of like having that piece of paper in my hand.

Well more stuff to do this winter when snowed in. [In addition to getting a PdF type copy of my collection on my NOOK.]
Irene
Well absolutely you can do one if you want, in fact your free to copy my research if you think it will help. :laugh::devil:
Irene Wrote:The book I did with NESFA press does list books, stories and omnibus editions...but only through 1992.
I managed to get Roger Schlobin's original hardcover version of this today. Of course, it only goes up to 1980, but I was pleased to add the hardback to my Norton collection.
Actually, That is pretty cool.
That was one of the first bibliographies that I had for Andre Norton. Even in 1990 it was still the best.
That is why I worked to get the bibliography that I pitched to NESFA press, to be a second edition of Roger Schlobin's book.
Irene
The new Omnibus "Moonsinger's Quest" is now out. It collects "Flight in Yiktor" and "Dare to Go A-Hunting". I've been noticing some automated "error corrections" on words making them incorrect which is irritating. They need an editor who actually READS the stories to determine if the error correction is actually correct or not.

According to Amazon.ca next up are:
"The Forerunner Factor" ("Forerunner" & "Forerunner: The Second Venture") on March 6, 2012
http://www.amazon.ca/Forerunner-Factor-A...344&sr=1-2

"Ice and Shadow" ("Ice Crown" & "Brother to Shadows") on Aug 7, 2012
http://www.amazon.ca/Ice-Shadow-Andre-No...344&sr=1-1

Of Andre's remaining "Forerunner" universe sci-fi titles that leaves:
Secret of the Lost Race
Star Hunter

Breed to Come
Iron Cage

Yurth Burden
Moon Called

And the rest of the Solar Queen novels:
Voodoo Planet
Postmarked the Stars
Redline the Stars
Derelict for Trade
A Mind For Trade

yet to be collected in omnibus by Baen.
Marron4Gateau Wrote:The new Omnibus "Moonsinger's Quest" is now out. It collects "Flight in Yiktor" and "Dare to Go A-Hunting".

According to Amazon.ca next up are:
"The Forerunner Factor" ("Forerunner" & "Forerunner: The Second Venture") on March 6, 2012
"Ice and Shadow" ("Ice Crown" & "Brother to Shadows") on August 7, 2012.

Both paperback only, alas...
It's trade paperback sized (hard cover sized), not mass-market paperback sized.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where's my stuff? Lots-A-Watts 16 646 January 15th, 2021, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts
  Book editions question Taliesin 6 717 November 30th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Irene
  Never before seen Interview and other stuff Lots-A-Watts 7 1,029 March 10th, 2013, 05:07 PM
  Russian editions of Andre's work Lots-A-Watts 12 1,846 June 15th, 2012, 05:16 PM
  We're Bah-ack: Stuff I need to discuss. Irene 23 2,883 August 13th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Last Post: Paul Goode
  New Stuff at Web-site Lots-A-Watts 4 999 June 27th, 2010, 07:56 AM
  Sources for foreign language editions Taliesin 4 1,217 February 19th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Taliesin
  Library Editions - Why So Lowly? Lots-A-Watts 8 1,918 July 3rd, 2008, 10:43 AM
  World Fantasy Stuff Irene 9 1,686 November 10th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Last Post: catsrule1
  Free Russian Language Editions Joseph_Goldin 3 1,260 June 26th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Last Post: jmelsna