Proposed Changes to SF-Fandom Forum Offerings
I would appreciate feedback from anyone and everyone on the following proposed changes to the forums. Nothing has been decided yet. This is just a working blueprint of how we can consolidate some of the forums.

All ACTORS forums would be folded into a new "ACTORS" forum in the "GENERAL DISCUSSIONS" category.

All FANTASY TV and SCIFI TV forums would be folded into a new "SCI-FI & FANTASY TV SHOWS" forum. The new forum would be moved to the "MOVIES" category, which would be renamed "MOVIES AND TV SHOWS".

All HISTORY forums would be folded into a single "HISTORY" forum in the "GENERAL DISCUSSIONS" category.

The MYTHOLOGY and VAMPIRES forums would be folded into a single "FOLKLORE AND CREATURES" forum in the "GENERAL DISCUSSIONS" category.

The COUNTRY MUSIC forum would be folded into the "General Discussions" forum.

The SPECIAL INTERESTS category would be shut down.

The HP LOVECRAFT forum would be folded into the "PULP AUTHORS" forum. I'm not quite ready to get rid of that forum.

The ARCHAEOLOGY AND PREHISTORY forum would be moved to the "GENERAL DISCUSSIONS" category. This is the largest and most popular of our history forums and I'm not ready to get rid of it. And, technically, it's not really covering history.

Please let me know if you like this or hate it. Please feel free to suggest alternative changes. Please say something. I know people are reading the forums. I know the frequent changes and disruptions in service this year have really hurt our participation. Still, I'm addressing as many technical issues as I can and I feel the forums and server are very stable now.
Something that I am not clear on, even after reading this several times.

But I think you are basically suggesting a variation of what the mods have already been discussing, right?

You would still have broad categories, some combined, like General Discussions, Movies and TV Shows, etc.? And then under/within those categories, you would have sections, such as History and also Archaeology under General, correct?

So if that is indeed the case, then I recommend (as we've already discussed) keeping some of the specific sub-groups that do still have existing fan bases and are still in production. Star Trek for example, Tolkien and Middle Earth, John Carter (otherwise that would be the best way to hide it from potential fans, by burying it in discussions of other movies and tv shows) .... And Harry Potter, Star Wars and BSG should still have plenty of existing fans, even if they're not participating here. Ditto for Ren Pics - as we discussed, we could take all but one of the existing fantasy show forums, Buffy, and have a Ren Pics section within the broader "TV and movies" section. And combine the existing general fantasy and general sci-fi into one forum, within the broader tv and movies category.

My fear is that as we have unfortunately seen before, as soon as there isn't a specific section for something, that signals the end of all discussion on it.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
august Wrote:You would still have broad categories, some combined, like General Discussions, Movies and TV Shows, etc.? And then under/within those categories, you would have sections, such as History and also Archaeology under General, correct?

Yes. You understand me correctly.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SF-FANDOM ADVERTISING OPTIONS CHANGING 2021 Michael 2 386 April 30th, 2021, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Michael
  NEW FORUM ISSUES (post here) MAY 27, 2019 Michael 9 1,062 December 22nd, 2020, 12:31 AM
  SF FANDOM FORUMS MOVING THIS WEEKEND (May 26-27) BoardAdmin 0 400 May 23rd, 2019, 08:30 PM
Last Post: BoardAdmin
  Why SF Fandom Sends Out Holiday Greeting Messages BoardAdmin 1 1,057 March 24th, 2019, 06:57 PM
  March 2019 Status Update on Future Forum Move Michael 0 407 March 24th, 2019, 06:56 PM
  SF Fandom and GDPR BoardAdmin 4 737 May 25th, 2018, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Embedded Images on SF-Fandom BoardAdmin 0 456 May 9th, 2018, 01:55 PM
Last Post: BoardAdmin
  How to Embed Videos in Your SF Fandom Posts FilmGuy 0 739 November 17th, 2017, 08:51 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  What's with the formatting issues on the forum? Boomstick 8 1,066 August 7th, 2017, 10:38 AM
  Disney channel or vacation forum badlands 0 467 May 9th, 2017, 07:37 PM
Last Post: badlands