Statue head at the cross-roads
Ithilien was, in fact, sort of named for Isildur. But, you know, the statue could have been erected in a much later time by a warrior king. This is just one of those things Tolkien never explained. The reason for including it in the story is obvious -- he wanted to introduce a symbolic sign of hope to encourage Frodo and Sam (and the reader) at that point in the story.
Agreed. On the other hand, the symbolism of the crown of flowers suggests that the statue was of one of the Numenorean Kings. My money would be on either Elendil or Isildur as most likely, although there's nothing concrete to support that.
Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.

I don't have any humble opinions.
Michael Wrote:Ithilien was, in fact, sort of named for Isildur.
No, it wasn't. "Ithilien" means "land of the moon", much as "Minas Ithil" means "Tower of the Moon". Isildur's name has nothing in common with these.

Correction: "Isil" is the name of the Maia who is the moon. So I see the connection that Michael is making. My bad.
If some Disney-princess can do it, why not Sauron?
Isn't it likely that the statue is the image of Romendacil, or even Earnil (II), rather than Isildur? Or did the art of statuary fail with the death of Isildur?
"Never ask an Elf for advice, for he will say both 'Yes' and 'No'." - Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion
Certainly possible, Mordy. Like I said, I would guess Elendil or Isildur, but a guess is all it is.
Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.

If we are guessing?.....It was not a king.
It was Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington, relieved, at last, to be(albeit in effigy) finally totally HEADLESS.

OK, I never promised a serious guess. Or a Sirius Black for that matter.

Just puttering (or should that be Pottering) around. Later Kind folks--PaulRolleyes :wink: :lol:

ps. Peeves did all the defacing.
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
I agree that Elendil and Isildur are the most likely statuary figures, but Romendacil and Earnil are not far behind, especially given the location of these statues. And shouldn't we consider Anarion in the mix?
"Never ask an Elf for advice, for he will say both 'Yes' and 'No'." - Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion
I think I'd pass on Anarion, given that Minas Ithil was his brother's city, and that he never reigned in the South. Perhaps his son Melendil put up a statue to his father, but it seems to me a stretch. All speculation of course.

One should ask when the north-south road was constructed. Would Isildur have had any purpose for such a road before the war? If not, then it might not make sense for him to erect a statue there.

Would Isildur in fact have erected a statue to either himself or his father? I don't think so. In which case, if Isildur put it up then it would have to be for an ancient, Numenorean king -- maybe Elros.

What if the statue predated Gondor? After all, Pelargir was quite ancient (about 1,000 years old when Gondor was founded). In which case, it might have demarcated the boundary of royal Numenorean authority in Middle-earth.
Another possibility is Amandil, Elendil's father.
gzhindra Wrote:Another possibility is Amandil, Elendil's father.

Interesting, but I doubt Amandil would be depicted crowned as a king, as he never was.

I also doubt that part of the N-S road east of Anduin existed before Gondor was founded. The east-west road almost certainly didn't pre-exist Gondor as Minas Ithil & Osgiliath wouldn't have been built until Isildur came. There was probably a road or network of roads pre-Gondor connecting Pelargir to the shoreland colonies, and perhaps thru the gap of Anduin (I had speculated before that Minas Anor might have been anticipated by a hill-fortress on Mindolluin watching the gap) and eventually possibly by the late colonial period the old quarry road was built through the river gap, thru the Stonewain Valley, and on into southern Calenardhon.

I'd favor as likely candidates Elendil, Isildur, Earnil II (hero of the Battle of the Camp, who turned back the Wainriders), Ondoher (who fell in that same campaign), either of the Hyarmendacils. I would guess the statue was most likely erected after TA 1945 (the reign of Earnil II) after the Wainriders were driven out, as prior to that time they might have destroyed any statue at the crossroads if they made it that far south, and before the Ringwraith assault on Minas Ithil beginning in TA2000. :book:
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
My guess is either Isildur , Anarion or Elendil.
The statue could have been built around the same time as the Pillars of the Argonath, by Romendacil (Minalcar).
Alvin Eriol Wrote:Maybe the Eye in the Pyramid symbol stemmed from a very distorted ancient memory of Barad-Dur!

Looks like a case of G.M.T.A.?

I don't suppose the Feanorean script is Black Speech for "Out of Many, One"?
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
If there is no "Statue"(:wicked::roll::ashamed:Blush) of limitations on silliness in this thread, I will put forth that the statue was of Tolkien's Father-in-Law. In the original manuscript, the statue was intact. After a bitter arguement with the FIL (over the merits of the local football team,I think) JRRT went back and had the statue defaced by orcs. When his wife questioned him about the incident, he reportedly quipped, "Don't blame me. Blame the Orcs, dear. In retaliation for this foul deed, I will have the orcs lose the war." And thus was peace restored in the Tolkien household. Later Kind Folks--Paul
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Might the cellars that the Mewlips inhabit be the ruins of the old forest roads city? Darnokthemage 2 154 December 3rd, 2019, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Thesis by Laura Ann Hess: Roads to the Great Eucatastrophie: The Christian ... Michael 2 772 December 8th, 2010, 11:38 AM
  Tolkien fans have chance to buy leaf on Birmingham Ent statue Michael 1 945 September 28th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Alvin Eriol
  Is the Witch-King cross-eyed? Mirkwood Prince 8 859 October 27th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Last Post: Attalus
  The Roads of Middle Earth Valandil 9 979 October 13th, 2004, 02:11 PM
  Valar Head Hunters Kirinki54 49 1,856 December 7th, 2003, 10:41 PM
  weta balrog statue laceyread 3 798 June 17th, 2003, 10:30 AM
Last Post: laceyread