Solomon Kane
I was looking for a trailer for the upcoming Conan movie, and stumbled on this trailer for Solomon Kane. I didn’t even know this movie was in production, much less already released. Maybe we discussed this already?

James Purefoy played the title character. I’ll have to check Netflix to see if this movie is available. In the meantime:

From YouTube
SF-Fandom not responsible for video content

SF-Fandom reserves the right to remove inappropriate video content from its discussions. YouTube may remove the video from its service without notification.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
RobRoy Wrote:I didn’t even know this movie was in production, much less already released. Maybe we discussed this already?

Same here, and I'm a big fan of Purefoy from Rome. But checking, there have actually been four threads in "General Movies" on this film, (one of which you actually posted in! :laugh: ) and four more under "Pulp Authors" ...but most have had no participation, and quickly fell into "beyond past 30 days" limbo. Example # 6,932,776 of why I still think we should try to consolidate links to news articles into one general thread, since if both you and I missed or didn't remember all of these, something's going wrong somewhere. Wink
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Hmmmm... I remember reading the Solomon Kane stories wwwwwaaaaayyyyyyyyy back when. They were darker than Conan, Kull, et. al.
The four food groups: beer, more beer, Jack Daniels and Jimmy Beam.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Purefoy was a great Mark Antony, so this seemed like an interesting film. I'd never heard of Solomon Kane before, but a bit of research indicates, too, that this would be worth a viewing, although it's odd that it slipped completely below my RADAR.
DVD, PPV...that's the way to go.
I saw this in the cinema. It's not actually that close to Howard - Kane is a pirate who turns good to save his own soul and he hides out with a bunch of Catholic monks which I'm sure the Puritan Kane of Howard's stories would rather run himself through than do. It is fairly entertaining though even if it does have plenty of stupid moments and the cinematography is very good for a low budget film.
Xev, Xev of B3K, join us in our song!
After all, a thousand years isn't very long!

For the record, I oppose the consolidation of threads on philosophical grounds (but the moderators can all do whatever they want in their forums).

Anyway, I've been watching this project from afar for years and was disappointed to learn about its limited distribution. I don't know when I'll get a chance to watch it.
Michael Wrote:Anyway, I've been watching this project from afar for years and was disappointed to learn about its limited distribution. I don't know when I'll get a chance to watch it.

Not anytime soon, as Boomer points out the film has not yet released in the US, and the DVD has no target release date. I may never get my hands on a copy. Cry

I was only able to watch it via a PPV option that I found some time back.

I finally watched this today. It's ok. It's been a while since I've read the Howard stories, but I'd say the movie more or less gets the tone right, even if it's not a strictly faithful adaptation.

As far as pacing, I think it drags a bit in spots. I also felt it had a tendancy to wander aimlessly a little.

It's not the film I would want to see after having read the original stories, but it's not a bad movie, either.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  King Solomon's Treasure Space Marshal 1 3,723 November 21st, 2013, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Christian Kane begins work on "Minuteman" Michael 0 536 October 21st, 2009, 05:14 PM
  Kung Fu Cinema talks "Solomon Kane" Michael 0 480 September 16th, 2009, 02:59 AM
  Ace Showbiz looks behind the scenes for "Solomon Kane" Michael 0 374 September 16th, 2009, 02:56 AM
  Video - Trailer for "Solomon Kane" Michael 0 490 September 16th, 2009, 02:47 AM
  AFI again rates 'Kane' as top movie RobRoy 0 508 June 21st, 2007, 02:16 PM
Last Post: RobRoy