What's the latest movie you've watched?
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I think the last movie I saw in the theater was "The Sorceror's Apprentice" (starring Nicolas Cage), which we really enjoyed. It has the potential for becoming a franchise and I certainly hope they take it there.

The last movie I watched at home was "In The Name of the King", starring Jason Statham. This was not a popular movie despite an all-star cast (including Burt Reynolds, John Rhys-Davies, Statham, Ron Perlman, Leelee Sobieski, Ray Liotta, Claire Forlani, and more). It was a Uwe Boll special and he apparently is very good at making bad movies.
While I was in Sydney, my brother and I went and saw 'Centurion'. It was decent. Better than some of the movies that have been coming out this year - which have had much bigger budgets.

Alright plot, intrigue and good action.
[SIZE=2]Keeper of Cole and The Cullen Men

"Once the Queen's dead the King's useless . . . maybe he's too depressed to fight; he really loved her you know"
[/SIZE]
We started watching Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief. Directed by Chris Columbus, who directed the first two Harry Potter films, I’ve been rather disappointed so far. I assume the script was attempting to make this not-Harry-Potter, since the books have many parallels (12 year old, unremarkable boy turns out to have unusual, magical powers, goes to a special school with similar children and embarks on multiple adventures). Unfortunately, the changes seem to make this a more pedantic effort, rather than the interesting tale that Rick Riordan originally penned. I try to keep an open mind when I view movies that were books I’ve read, but this one seems to suffer too greatly from the changes that are made. It appears that it will be a stand-alone film, as it didn’t do well enough at the domestic box office to warrant a second trip.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I've been wanting to watch Percy Jackson but every time I've had the opportunity I've passed it up for something else. I guess I'll wait for the broadcast on some television network.

If I'm not busy that night.
I thought Percy Jackson was enjoyable. Like a less square Harry Potter.

Last film I saw was the A Team. For a high-octane action spectacular it was actually very dull.
Xev, Xev of B3K, join us in our song!
After all, a thousand years isn't very long!
'The Butcher' with Eric Roberts. It's pretty decent crime noir film. Roberts plays a hitman who gets betrayed, and has to go on the run from police, and various mobsters. A B-movie, but not bad.

'The Hurt locker', a flick about bomb-disposal expert in Iraq. Vivid portrayals of urban combat, some good action, and some equally well-done characterization.
I finished Percy Jackson last night. My opinion hasn’t changed. I was very impressed with the CGI all around. While in the past, you could tell when stuff was CGI’d in, as with The Sorcerer’s Apprentice everything looked very realistic to me, including Grover’s satyr legs although Grover, the actor, didn’t move quite right. That last might be bias on my part as a viewer, having seen other actors perform satyr roles, like James McAvoy as Mr. Tumnus.

I always seen my favorites at home like The dark knight and Eagle Eye. The last movie I saw rentalwise was Bring it on and the last theatre movie was Toy story 3.
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
I've been re-watching "Veronica Mars" from start to finish (surely, God himself is running Netflix). I remember it being a witty, thought-provoking show, but I forgot just how snappy the dialogue was, and how well drawn the characters. Kristin Bell is awesome as always, and the cast that supports is just fantastic.

So I watched "At The Earth's Core" starring Doug McClure through Hulu over the past couple of nights. That movie was so hokey but I loved it.

McClure made three movies based on books by Edgar Rice Burroughs: "The Land That Time Forgot", "At The Earth's Core", and "The People That Time Forgot". He only had a supporting role in the third movie but I've often thought about creating a Doug McClure ERB movie fan site.

Despite the fact these movies were made using sets that looked like they came out of Sid & Marty Croft productions, they honestly stayed very close to the original stories (well, "The People That Time Forgot" used the title of the book).

There is just something about these movies that rises above the schlock factor that so often afflicts low-budget movies. I think McClure's self-assured style of acting had a great deal to do with that.
Quote:Originally posted by RobRoy
I've been re-watching "Veronica Mars" from start to finish (surely, God himself is running Netflix). I remember it being a witty, thought-provoking show, but I forgot just how snappy the dialogue was, and how well drawn the characters. Kristin Bell is awesome as always, and the cast that supports is just fantastic.

I keep all three seasons of VM next to my television, and randomly throw it on whenever I need a moment to decompress. The snappy dialogue, the character interactions, the well-crafted mysteries and intense teen melodrama... the end of Season 3 near broke my little heart, and I cannot fathom that it never even rated a concluding TV movie. If you get the chance and haven't already, check out the Smart Pop essay collection Neptune Noir, edited by Rob Thomas himself. It's truly marvelous, in a way that so many of those Smart Pop tomes are not.

By the way, the other DVD collection I keep next to the TV for frequent rewatch purposes is the 10 seasons of SG-1, lest you begin to question by geek cred.

Recent movies...

At the cinema: Inception (several times), Eclipse (even more times) and Tekken. Off to see Salt and The Last Airbender this weekend. (I know everyone says this last sucks, but I love me some Shyamalan, so I willingly go forth regardless.)

At home: have been on something of a classic movie kick, and last night watched All Quiet on the Western Front for the first time. Surprisingly captivating, and I am not ordinarily a war movie buff my any means.

Oh, and on the Percy Jackson thing: I have not sufficient room or time to spray my venom here, so I will just direct your kind attention to this review of that utterly infuriating mess.
Rachel Hyland
Editor in Chief, Geek Speak Magazine
www.geekspeakmagazine.com

For anyone who thinks an Apocalypse or two sound like fun...
RachelHyland Wrote:Off to see Salt

Nooooooo! Don't do it to yourself - most terrible movie EVER!!! :dead:

Okay so that's an over-exaggeration but as far as the 'epic fail of 2010 movies' goes: 'Salt' is up there.

And if we're talking TV shows - Just did a massive 'Supernatural' marathon. And now I'm working my way through S1 of 'Community'.

"Once the Queen's dead the King's useless . . . maybe he's too depressed to fight; he really loved her you know"
[/SIZE]
Just finished watching a Val Lewton double feature disk. The Body Snatcher, with the great Boris Karloff in the title role. A cynical and subtle, sublimely menacing perfomance by the master.
The second movie was I Walked With a Zombie. A little old-fashioned, perhaps, but a pretty good film over all. Beautifully directed by Jacques Tourner, who did The Cat People. I remember seeing it when I was just a tad and being really spooked by it. Not at all disappointed this second time around.

I also recently watched Avatar. Disappointing, I thought. I suppose it was quite the spectacle on a big screen, in 3-D. But I found the story just too derivitive to be really enjoyable. I kept flashing back to Dances With Wolves and A Man Called Horse. Not to mention any number of 50's pulp space operas, or every third or fourth episode of Startrek.
Sitting quietly, doing nothing,
Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.
I think of "Avatar" as simply another layer of story-telling draped across numerous previous layers. It reminds me of "Ferngully", but for grownups.

Nonetheless, I love the movie -- maybe because I'm just a big kid who loves space ships, special effects, and hot alien chicks.
Michael Wrote:I think of "Avatar" as simply another layer of story-telling draped across numerous previous layers.

I can't disagree with you on that. It's just that being denied the total sensory experiance, as I was, and, given all the hype and the awards it received, I was hoping for a bit more, story-wise.

I suppose one could consider "Avatar" this generation's "2001. A Space Odyssey"... which I am old enough to have seen in its original Cinerama version.
By the way, can someone explain how the current 3-d technology works? I remember the original 3-d films ( Bwana Devil, House of Wax, etc.) used polarization... which required two synchronized cameras and projectors and was just too expensive and cumbersome to be successful. It really worked well though. And the later red & blue process is, of course, unbearably awful, not to mention headache inducing.
Agaricus Wrote:By the way, can someone explain how the current 3-d technology works? I remember the original 3-d films ( Bwana Devil, House of Wax, etc.) used polarization... which required two synchronized cameras and projectors and was just too expensive and cumbersome to be successful. It really worked well though. And the later red & blue process is, of course, unbearably awful, not to mention headache inducing.

It's digital; 3D movies today aren't on the traditional 33mm prints. Films intended for 3D are shot with 3D cameras (Alice in Wonderland). While others are manipulated in post production (Clash of the Titans).

It also means only one projector is needed to show the movie.

[/SIZE]
Ok, I know that I watched two movies this weekend, but all the head-pounding I’ve just done, and I still can’t come up with the first one. I’d check my Netflix queue, but we can’t access that at my office. Also, we watched some movie, and I don’t even remember if it was good or not.

We also watched Down with Love (actually, I re-watched it, my wife saw it for the first time). We had been watching another 60s sex-comedy, and it was so blah, that my wife turned it off. I would have sat through it, but that’s just in my nature. I mentioned this film to her, and she’d never heard of it. Not surprising, since the film didn’t perform that well. For an homage to this genre, this is still a very clever, witty, snappy film. Everyone shines as their respective characters, at once cardboard and with depth. The telephone conversations in split-screen are just hilarious.

And we started watching Avatar: The Last Airbender, not the movie, but the series. It’s on Netflix for streaming, and while certainly aimed at a younger audience (my almost three year-old keeps going WOW!) the story is interesting enough to keep me entertained as well. I don’t know that I can sit through hours and hours of it, but certainly I can take a couple of episodes at a time.

I went to see Knight and Day last night. It was as lightweight as they come, but still pretty entertaining - not sure why it's earned such bad reviews.
Xev, Xev of B3K, join us in our song!
After all, a thousand years isn't very long!

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reboot of this old classic B movie The Last dinosaur badlands 1 28 March 28th, 2021, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Edelweiss pirates movie badlands 1 30 March 21st, 2021, 10:58 PM
  Colorized Movie - "The Phantom Planet" Michael 0 455 November 26th, 2020, 05:09 PM
  Dungeon and Dragons movie again badlands 1 332 November 4th, 2020, 12:11 PM
  G.I Joe and fore night crossover movie badlands 1 249 November 4th, 2020, 11:52 AM
  Hasbro Mask movie badlands 1 377 November 4th, 2020, 11:37 AM
  1950s or 1960s B&W movie with teleportation boxes avianrand1 5 515 September 22nd, 2020, 06:56 PM
  Bernstein Bears movie badlands 3 678 August 12th, 2020, 01:28 PM
Last Post: aaronbossig
  John Lewis movie badlands 1 343 July 18th, 2020, 09:03 PM
  Science Fiction Movie Marathons pogopossum 1 429 May 30th, 2020, 10:15 AM