What's the latest movie you've watched?
Today I was home sick, so first up I watched The Specials via Netflix. Not bad, the premise was pretty awesome, B-list superheros and their neuroses. The script was ok, but could have benefited from a polish . . . or maybe the editing was just off. Either way, the film had great potential, but poor delivery. It's worth watching though, but only once.

After that, "I know a guy" and was able to see The Expendables. Not a bad action movie. It follows pretty much the pattern you would think, but you get a sense of some greater depth to these characters than just big, bad men. I liked that most about the film, aside from seeing all these great action stars doing what they do best. Ah-nold had some pretty good lines with Bruce Willis. Jet Li was probably my favorite though.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
At theatres: the "New" (not that there's really anything new about it) Predator movie.

At home: I recently got the Collector's Edition of High Noon on DVD. A classic!
The four food groups: beer, more beer, Jack Daniels and Jimmy Beam.
Luthien_0001: I am so with you! Loved Step Up 3 (though the first remains my favorite), and "Club Can't Handle Me" is an awesome track. No dance movie will ever surpass the glory that is Center Stage in my eyes, however. (Does this confession undermine my geek cred, RobRoy? :winkSmile

Recent Movies: The Expendables (loved it), Vampires Suck (mostly hated it), Scott Pilgrim (adore it and want to have its children).

I have also recently watched every comic book movie made from either Marvel or DC Comics characters (yes, every one) in aid of this debate.

And I just started a new blog over at Geek Speak, entitled Project Film Geek, in which I will endeavor to watch (and then report on) every Best Picture Oscar nominee ever. Yep, all 474 of them... You can check my progress here.
Rachel Hyland
Editor in Chief, Geek Speak Magazine
www.geekspeakmagazine.com

For anyone who thinks an Apocalypse or two sound like fun...
Piranha 3D - Probably the closest any film has made me come to making me puke in the cinema. I mean a bit of gore is fine by me, but this was just horrible.
Xev, Xev of B3K, join us in our song!
After all, a thousand years isn't very long!
RachelHyland Wrote:(Does this confession undermine my geek cred, RobRoy? :winkSmile

‘Fraid so. We’re reducing you from Platinum status to Gold. I’ll need your VIP access card and your lightsaber.

Quote:Recent Movies: The Expendables (loved it), Vampires Suck (mostly hated it), Scott Pilgrim (adore it and want to have its children).

But this makes up for it!

Zagor Wrote:Piranha 3D - Probably the closest any film has made me come to making me puke in the cinema. I mean a bit of gore is fine by me, but this was just horrible.

I’d read they used record amounts of fake blood in the filming. Something crazy where they actually had a tanker truck on set. No, I’m not exaggerating that fact. I can’t remember the exact date of the EW article, but I do recall them mentioning the record levels of fake blood, comparing it to something else (like Kill Bill 1&2) where they’d used barrels.

I’m hardly surprised by this response though. The film sounded mediocre at best, even with a great script and some stellar actors (Jerry O'Connell, Elizabeth Shue, Richard Dreyfus, etc.).

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
The script was pretty rubbish to be honest though Christopher Lloyd had some amusing cheesy lines. Elizabeth Shue did a good job with the material she had. But this movie is only for die-hard fans of gore and/or Kelly Brook.
Solomon Kane – Thoroughly enjoyed this quasi-historical film. It was very true to the character and his background, with a dark tone set throughout the film (and lots and lots of rain). You can read my full review over in this thread if you’re interested.

Centurion...A good adventure romp in Roman-occupied Britain. Gory, but no more so than Gladiator or Braveheart.

The action scenes were top-notch, as was the acting. Michael Fassbender (300 and Inglorious Basterds) plays a centurion who must lead his small band of soldiers behind enemy lines, first to rescue their captured general, and then to get home. All the while, they are being hunted by Etain (Olga Kurylenko), a Pictish warrior woman with a lust for blood.

The writing is unusually good in this flick. All the characters have gray motives and secrets, and there is subtlety between the piles of severed limbs.
EDSEL_PK Wrote:Centurion...A good adventure romp in Roman-occupied Britain. Gory, but no more so than Gladiator or Braveheart.

I finished watching this as well, and I agree. It was very good.

As I was sick (really all week, but out Friday) I watched a huge number of films including (and in no particular order):

Hurt Locker – I was completely underwhelmed by this movie. Having heard so much about it, I was very much looking forward to a story that was going to rock my entire world. Don’t get me wrong, I was very impressed with the characters, and almost every scene was infused with tension that you could have cut bagels and spread lox with. But as the conclusion rounded out, I was just left going, “Meh.”

In the Valley of Elah – Now here was an Iraq-war time movie that was worthy of renown. I didn’t intentionally watch these movies together. That’s just how they ended up in my queue. Tommy Lee Jones rocks his role as a father on a mission to find his AWOL son recently returned from the war. Susan Sarandon, as small as her role is, is equally awesome. I didn’t even realize it was Charlize Theron opposite Jones until the credits role. The film moves along at a decent pace, and the conclusion is simply unsettling.

Suspect Zero – Aaron Eckhart and Carrie-Anne Moss are on the trail of what appears to be a serial killer Ben Kingsley (who is freaking awesome in his role). Turns out, the truth is much darker and even has a supernatural bent. I think I know why this movie was overlooked, but I can’t even say it without spoiling some of the film. Ultimately, I was very impressed by this story, and greatly enjoyed the concept as well as the characters.

Bi*** Slap – After hearing a lot about this film, I decided to give it a shot. I was greatly disappointed, and couldn’t finish. I thought there might be something worthwhile here, but the near constant focus on the actresses as bodies, rather than characters, became something I just couldn’t continue with. I get what they were trying to do, by throwing back to sexploitation films of the past, but they just failed utterly.

Black Dynamite – In that same line, this film could easily have been a film straight out of the late 60s early 70s. It hits all the major tropes of blaxplotation and dances on the edge of parody, only rarely crossing over to the absurd. The only problem is that it suffers the same problem as all blaxplotation films, it’s too long, the main character is too bad/awesome, and he’s never truly in danger, even though everyone around him is dropping like flies.

Zero Effect – What would Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson be like if they were modern characters today? Well, they’d be exactly like Bill Pullman and Ben Stiller in this why-dunnit film. Pullman plays the reclusive super-sleuth who charges crazy amounts of money for his services. He is both extolled and denigrated by Stiller in a clever set of conversations that cross each other, one with a prospective client, the other with a friend in a bar. The movie may have failed because if you don’t realize Pullman is actually Holmes, then you don’t understand why he’s such a pain the neck.

Zagor Wrote:Piranha 3D - Probably the closest any film has made me come to making me puke in the cinema. I mean a bit of gore is fine by me, but this was just horrible.

I just watched it. Had the entire theatre to myself :bug: Yeeeeup; not awkward at all.

Terrible, but amusing. It was a bit slow . . . had to check my watch a couple of times.
[SIZE=2]Keeper of Cole and The Cullen Men

"Once the Queen's dead the King's useless . . . maybe he's too depressed to fight; he really loved her you know"
[/SIZE]

RobRoy Wrote:Yes, that was quite good, and we see exactly the difference between soldiers and mercenaries in that scene. The way they handled themselves, took over the situation, and used their training to keep each other safe was very impressive.

Ralph Feinnes was listed as 'Contractor Team Leader' at the IMDB. Sidestepping technical/legal/military distinctions between mercs and contractors, we can assume Feinnes and his crew were part of a Private Military Company (PMC) akin to the now-infamous Blackwater USA, and bankrolled by the CIA or some other government entity, and performing some sort of mercenery-type work. In the context of the brief scene, their professionalism -- or their lack thereof -- wasn't really apparent to me, because they all got smoked. That one guy, however, panicked early on, and blew an entire box of .50 caliber ammo firing at...nothing!:thud:

Quote:Last night I started watching Tales of the Gold Monkey. and knowing it was more based on Only Angels Have Wings rather than Raiders of the Lost Ark I greatly enjoyed the first episode.

True. 'Raiders..', if nothing else, opened the door to that subgenre of film. Shortly afterward, we saw 'High Road to China' with (Indiana Jones candidate) Tom Selleck, a string of Alan Qautermain films, 'Jewel of the Nile', and similar projects.
Movie Day today:

Going the Distance - quite amusing. A little slow but decent enough.

Tomorrow when the war began - I really liked it. I read the book in school a gazillion years ago. I thought it was going to be bad but I was pleasantly surprised.

The Expendables (the 2nd time) - still fun. Love those explosions, knives throwing and other action scenes.
[SIZE=2]Keeper of Cole and The Cullen Men

"Once the Queen's dead the King's useless . . . maybe he's too depressed to fight; he really loved her you know"
[/SIZE]
The Last Exorcism - a horror movie more interesting than scary. Has a few compelling twists along the way.
Zagor Wrote:The Last Exorcism - a horror movie more interesting than scary. Has a few compelling twists along the way.

I've heard this is pretty good, and I liked the premise: exorcism con-man who stumbles into an actual possession case.

This weekend we went up to a cabin in the woods (totally my kind of camping) and didn’t really watch much in the way of movies. Although, we did find:

The Outlaw Josey Wales – One of Eastwood’s finest western films. The third act drags out a bit and is somewhat odd, but having built up the major characters to this point, I’m not certain what a satisfying outcome would have been.

Star Wars: A New Hope – Yeppers, Spike or someone was running a marathon of all the films in order, and when we were actually in the mood to watch some television, this seemed appropriate. Then, we remembered why none of us has cable: commercials. Good lord, the action would just get going and BLAM commercial. We went to bed early, so I have no idea if the good guys won or not.

The Book of Eli...Excellent film. Good performances by all involved.

Denzel Washington is Eli, a devout Christian wandering the post-Apocalyptic wasteland gaurding the last Bible in existence, and putting some holy smackdown on whomever is deserving it.

Gary Oldman is the boss of a shanty town who wants the Bible in order to inspire people to follow him.

Ray Stevenson (Titus Pullo from HBO's Rome), is Gary Oldman's right-hand henchman in this film.

Mila Kunis is the little spitfire who joins Eli in his journey.

Some say it's a remake of 'Zardoz', the Sean Connery film of yesteryear, but I don't see much similarity.

[SIZE="2"]Denzel Washington is a baaaaaad dude![/SIZE]

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lightyear the movie badlands 1 67 July 14th, 2022, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Michael
  New Elvis movie badlands 2 141 July 6th, 2022, 01:56 PM
Last Post: Yalmuk
  Reboot The Terminator movie series. badlands 2 141 June 15th, 2022, 11:52 PM
  Is it true that there will a movie based on the Redwall author’s book? badlands 1 129 May 16th, 2022, 01:37 PM
  Poppy Playtime movie badlands 1 167 April 17th, 2022, 12:01 PM
Smile Clash of the clans movie badlands 4 151 April 17th, 2022, 12:00 PM
  How about a jetsons movie? hour_25mikehodel 4 304 March 19th, 2022, 03:11 PM
  Miami Vice movie badlands 2 272 December 29th, 2021, 03:33 PM
Star Disney’s The Lone Ranger movie starring Depp badlands 1 382 November 22nd, 2021, 02:07 PM
  New C.S Lewis Movie bilbobaggins764 2 455 November 22nd, 2021, 02:00 PM