Anime
Does anyone else here like it besides me?
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
I like it as much as I like any other entertainment media. If the story, plot, characters, etc. are interesting, then yes, I enjoy it. If they are not, then I pass.

It's not the medium in telling the story that bothers me. It’s the reliance on that medium alone, rather than on good story telling, that generally makes anime tedious. Akira of course is the standard by which most anime is measured (and usually falls short). I’ve found Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo to be excellent stories and good use of the medium.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I find the medium a bit overwhelming. I have enjoyed a few movies in the genre but there is just so much out there I can't easily get into it.
I think Anime has a lot of potential. Being animated gives a much bigger scope and Japan seems to have no problems with out-there ideas that would never be explored by Western television/films. Unfortunately I don't think they do much with this potential. A lot of Anime I have come across is quite shallow (though there are exceptions). For those of you who like anime, are there any series you'd recommend? I saw the first episode of Samurai Champloo and it looked promising, but does it have much in the way of plot?

A silly thing I dislike about anime: why the heck does everyone breathe so hard? A character can be jogging down the street and they'll sound like they're having about 5 heart attacks at once. Am I the only person this bothers?
Xev, Xev of B3K, join us in our song!
After all, a thousand years isn't very long!
Zagor Wrote:A silly thing I dislike about anime: why the heck does everyone breathe so hard? A character can be jogging down the street and they'll sound like they're having about 5 heart attacks at once. Am I the only person this bothers?

Are you watching it with English dubs? Sometimes I find watching it with the original audio and subtitles is less abrasive.

With anime you've really just got to find your own way, I think. What appeals to some casual fans just won't appeal to others. Full Metal Alchemist, for example, is pretty good from what I've seen, but it just doesn't interest me that much.

Most of the anime I enjoy falls more into the sci-fi category.
Boomstick Wrote:Are you watching it with English dubs? Sometimes I find watching it with the original audio and subtitles is less abrasive.

Yes, I'm one of these shunned philistines who doesn't care for subs. Wink Although from what little I've seen, they gasp more in the Japanese audio though maybe it's less noticeable because you're concentrating on reading rather than listening.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
RobRoy Wrote:What I dislike in the extreme is some of the dubs where all the characters talk in a fast-paced single emotion, usually anger, or excitement.
Yes I've definitely noticed this - in Yu Gi Oh everyone talks ridiculously fast (though possibly that's to cover the fact that the card game doesn't really make any sense).

Quote:For the record Samurai Champloo does have some very interesting stories and plot lines, with an over-arcing plot driving the characters.

Sounds good. I might pick up a box set if I find one going cheap.
I prefer some of the more low-key series eg:

Darker than Black
Witch Hunter Robin
.Hack/Sign
Honey and Clover
Zettai Shounen
The Vision of Escaflowne

I prefer series with limited number of episodes (eg 12 or 26) that have some sort of conclusion, rather than stories that just keep going and going with character powerups. "Dragonball" and "Bleach" have powered up their heroes to a ridiculous degree.

(It also means I don't have to buy a lot of DVD's, :lol: !)

For feature length films, I highly recommend Studio Ghibli's "Princess Mononoke". Seriously, it's a masterpiece of storytelling! You've heard of "Spirited Away", but "Princess Mononoke" is ten times better!
:deadhorse:
"A Iluvatarinya! En na pelecco carinyesse!"
"Oh my God! There's an axe in my head!" :worry:

http://www.yamara.com/axe/#Q1
Coconut Ent Wrote:For feature length films, I highly recommend Studio Ghibli's "Princess Mononoke". Seriously, it's a masterpiece of storytelling! You've heard of "Spirited Away", but "Princess Mononoke" is ten times better!

I'd agree with you there. Never been sure why Spirited Away gets all the praise - seemed very lightweight to me.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is your Favorite Anime and Manga? davidson623045 10 1,449 January 20th, 2022, 08:24 PM
Last Post: dylanjose89
  Anime and other Japanese animation badlands 1 604 September 1st, 2018, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Japanese anime industy in trouble? badlands 3 903 September 8th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Anime DeamondBleed 63 4,188 August 26th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Last Post: whizz
  [Anime] ZatchBell any good? espmind101 1 479 September 2nd, 2005, 06:20 PM
Last Post: Alantriel the Elf
  Anime Conventions Alantriel the Elf 0 383 August 25th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Alantriel the Elf
  Worst 'Anime' ever 0 90 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: