'The Last Airbender' gets slammed
Wow, the critics are really hating on this movie. This article has a cross-section of reviews

Quote:The Los Angeles Times
"By specifically critical and broadly adult standards, this film is undoubtedly a disappointment, but it is disappointing in a way that its intended audience may not notice."
[URL="http://www.cinematical.com/2010/06/30/review-the-last-airbender/"]
[/URL]
Cinematical
"A soul-crushing disaster made worse by unnecessary, counterproductive 3-D, The Last Airbender fails to immediately qualify as the worst film of the summer only by virtue of the year's abundance of other candidates."
[URL="http://movies.nytimes.com/2010/07/01/movies/01last.html"]
[/URL]
The New York Times
"An astute industry analyst of my acquaintance, who is 9 and an admirer of the Nickelodeon animated series on which the movie is based, offered a two-word diagnosis of its commercial prospects on the way out of the theater: "They're screwed."

And it goes on and on like this . . .Full article here

Not good. Let's hope some of your reviews are better. It won't get here to NZ until September.
[SIZE=2]Keeper of Cole and The Cullen Men

"Once the Queen's dead the King's useless . . . maybe he's too depressed to fight; he really loved her you know"
[/SIZE]
Hmmmppphhh!!!! You'd think a movie with 'Avatar' in the title would be pure gold.:anxious:
EDSEL_PK Wrote:Hmmmppphhh!!!! You'd think a movie with 'Avatar' in the title would be pure gold.:anxious:

Meh, it's been done.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
That's too bad, I was hoping doing a commercial film like this would be a good thing for M. Night Shyamalan. He's a talented writer/director, but it seems like people lost interest in his work after Signs. I could never understand why. Yeah, his films don't always have much replay value since they so often hinge on one big twist or revelation, but they're still good movies.
EDSEL_PK Wrote:Hmmmppphhh!!!! You'd think a movie with 'Avatar' in the title would be pure gold.:anxious:

heh! If these same critics praised Avatar, then their opinion isn't much to go on.
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory
Critics slamming a fantasy film is USUALLY a good sign of quality. Critics rarely get the genre and they tend to pan fantasy movies as much as possible.
I seem to be the only person in existence who thought The 6th Sense was boring. And I'd rather tear my own skin off than sit through Lady in the Water again. I thought Airbender looked interesting, but these reviews suggest Shyamalan has made another mess.
Xev, Xev of B3K, join us in our song!
After all, a thousand years isn't very long!
Has anyone seen it? The trailers were so bad, I just couldn't bring myself to see it ( another weekend without the movies...what a horrible year !).
Usually they make sure to put some of the best bits in the trailers, but all I saw was lousy effects and rather stilted dialogue. My son says he's going to see it, but
that may or may not happen ! :laugh:
" It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
I haven't seen it. I was going to, but the Yahoo reviewers gave it nearly as bad a rating as the critics did, which is usually not a good sign. I think I'll wait for DVD rental and save myself the money of a movie ticket. It's too bad. I was hoping Shayamalan might be able to prove himself a successful commercial movie director.
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory
It appears to be doing okay in the box office.

Quote:Sure, Twilight Saga: Eclipse dropped from its crazy opening day of $68.5 million, and yes, The Last Airbender has been destroyed by critics. Even so, the holiday weekend’s two new wide releases scored enough business to make this year’s Fourth of July box office bigger than what Ice Age 3 and Public Enemies brought in at this time last year . . .

. . . The Last Airbender earned $40.6 million for the three-day weekend from audiences that gave the movie a C+, according to exit pollster CinemaScore. The M. Night Shyamalan flick will have earned $70.5 million after all its receipts from Thursday thru Monday have been counted. Whether it’s enough to get the auteur director a sequel is yet to be seen. We know that if critical reaction was the only barometer for success this would be the last pairing between Shyamalan and Airbender but commerce trumps all, and this film is doing pretty well.

Full Article Here
[SIZE=2]Keeper of Cole and The Cullen Men

"Once the Queen's dead the King's useless . . . maybe he's too depressed to fight; he really loved her you know"
[/SIZE]
I think people should go see the movie. I have reviewed "The Last Airbender" in this thread.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I LIKE M. Night Shyamalan's "The Last Airbender" (Spoilage) Michael 2 650 July 6th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Videos: The Four Nations from "The Last Airbender" Michael 0 523 June 25th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Trailers for "The Last Airbender" Michael 17 1,368 June 7th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Last Post: RobRoy