Shockya blog publishes set pictures from "Conan" movie
I must say that these pictures are rather disappointing to me. The Shockya guy is pumped but these photos make it look like a typical low-budget "Barbarians in the Desert" movie.

Judge for yourself here.

I guess most people weren't expecting much anyway.
I think given the rank Howard unfortunately holds in the literary world, and the place that the two Schwarzenegger films hold in the cinematic world, these look about what most people are expecting....

When the lead is a virtually unknown tv actor (however talented) you can't expect the same production values or budget that a Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt film would have....

Plus you add that it's directed by the guy who gave us Pathfinder, written by writers who between them gave us Sahara, Sound of Thunder, and The Crow: Wicked Prayer, and it's being filmed in Bulgaria by Lionsgate (My Bloody Valentine) Millenium (Alien Hunter, 16 Blocks, the remake of Wicker Man) and Nu Image (Mega Snake, SS Doomtrooper, Mansquito, and many other filmed-in Bulgaria masterpieces) then you get a better idea. I will not be surprised if this ends up going direct-to-dvd. In other words, this is basically Alien Apocalypse or Man w/ the Screaming Brain without the marquee value of Bruce Campbell.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Meh, I've still got an open mind about this one. Even some of the cheap and cheerful barbarian movies of the past have been entertaining - Beastmaster for instance.
Xev, Xev of B3K, join us in our song!
After all, a thousand years isn't very long!
Well exactly. Conan paperbacks didn't exactly get me acclaim from English majors who visited my dorm room in college, but I enjoyed them. And everybody who played D& D had copies too, plus metal-heads and stoners had all the Frazetta posters on their walls. (And plenty of English professors, like my father for example, loved pulp fiction for what it was, without pretending it was anything greater.)

Which is why Army of Darkness is cheap and silly and schlocky, and acknoweldged as such by its biggest fans, and isn't exactly Citizen Kane or even Saving Pvt. Ryan, but still has a place in cinema history.

So in all likelihood the sfx in this will look cartoonish, the performances of the leads will be tv-actor-grade-adequate-to-good (ummm... the lead used to play a supporting role to David Haelhoff on Baywatch, we gotta remember) and the extras will look like unemployed Bulgarians who are there for a paycheck. But for those of us who were not only able to enjoy SS Doomtrooper but were actually looking forward to its release... much fun will be had. Smile
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
As a former D&D campaigner and aging metalhead, I think of Conan as an icon from my youth. Indeed, the novels were never literary epics, but the world that Howard created, and the Conan character were very rich and colorful.

Hyboria was a fictionalized world loosely-based on the ancient world of our earth. A history buff will not the use Picts, Stygians, Ku****es, and of course, Cimmerians...all of whom inhabited our planet. Toss in scantily-clad slave girls, evil wizards, and hideous monsters, and you've got yourself a rollicking good adventure.
I agree with Michael, the stills don't do much to encourage me. I haven't given up entirely, mind you, my expectations are just lowering.

I think the kind of film we're getting has more to do with the production company than any opinions of the source material. If comic books can produce blockbuster movies, so can REH.

I'm not suggesting they should have gone out and done a $150-200 million dollar picture right off the bat, but they could have aimed much higher than what we're currently seeing. Starting with a name actor in the lead role, for one.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Boomstick Wrote:I think the kind of film we're getting has more to do with the production company than any opinions of the source material. If comic books can produce blockbuster movies, so can REH.

I'm not suggesting they should have gone out and done a $150-200 million dollar picture right off the bat, but they could have aimed much higher than what we're currently seeing. Starting with a name actor in the lead role, for one.

Oh absolutely. If Spielberg or Cameron or even Raimi (who wanted his first NZ-filmed series to be about Conan, but the rights weren't available, hence Hercules) were doing this, and some unknown but muscular 6'6" RSC stage actor were in the lead, with Scarlett Johannsen as the female lead and Daniel Day Lewis as the villain, we'd be seeing something very different.

But I think the key is that this type of property is generally overlooked by major players like that, same as Burroughs has been for the last century. Even when Tarzan was a weekly tv series, it was never taken as seriously as, say, Columbo or Perry Mason or Bonanza.
Well, to add insult to injury, I read today that corporate raider Carl Icahn -- who made headlines with his failed attempt to dismantle or sell off Yahoo!, Inc. (eventually forcing Yahoo! founder and CEO Jerry Yang to step down) -- is trying to get control over Lionsgate. The Board of Directors has set up a Shareholders Rights Plan in an effort to discourage or defeat his ambitions.

Yahoo! has essentially abandoned the Web search business under current CEO Carol Bartz, who concluded a deal with Microsoft last year to divest Yahoo! of its proprietary search technology (and search engineering staff) and replace all that with Microsoft's Bing search technology.

Yahoo! continues to lose search market share and it has yet to be seen whether Bartz' goal of making Yahoo! a premier Web publisher (for news and entertainment) will be achieved. Yahoo! has sold off or shut down many other lines of business it had built up through the years. Icahn has since sold off most of his Yahoo! stake at a loss, according to news reports.

As bad as this "Conan" film is starting to look, if Icahn in any way influences it, you can be sure that influence will make the film worse.
That doesn't sound like good news. Hopefully since it's already in production any kind of corporate disruption won't have a negative impact on the film.

In spite of what we're seeing, they still might end up being very faithful to the source material. In which case we'd have a good film with disappointing production values. On the other hand, if the script, acting, and directing isn't good either, it'll be something else entirely.
Boomstick Wrote:In spite of what we're seeing, they still might end up being very faithful to the source material. In which case we'd have a good film with disappointing production values. On the other hand, if the script, acting, and directing isn't good either, it'll be something else entirely.

I'd settle for a good film with low production values, over what we seem to be getting recently: high production values and pathetic films.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star Disney’s The Lone Ranger movie starring Depp badlands 1 67 November 22nd, 2021, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Michael
  New C.S Lewis Movie bilbobaggins764 2 130 November 22nd, 2021, 02:00 PM
  Remember the Don Bluth movie : The Secret of NIMH badlands 0 118 July 27th, 2021, 05:15 PM
Last Post: badlands
  This civil rights leader’s story should be a movie badlands 1 118 July 25th, 2021, 11:28 PM
Last Post: Alvin Eriol
  Ali Pourahmad directed an amazing sci fi movie Aliens Reaction scifilover 0 162 July 12th, 2021, 04:05 AM
Last Post: scifilover
  Does anyone recognize this movie? FilmGuy 0 110 July 4th, 2021, 12:45 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Reboot of this old classic B movie The Last dinosaur badlands 1 185 March 28th, 2021, 12:18 PM
  Edelweiss pirates movie badlands 1 209 March 21st, 2021, 10:58 PM
  Colorized Movie - "The Phantom Planet" Michael 0 603 November 26th, 2020, 05:09 PM
  Dungeon and Dragons movie again badlands 1 464 November 4th, 2020, 12:11 PM